6.5 swede

James Kain

Shot grouping and note taking, i m still learning

I went and shot my 6.5 this evening, now keep in mind I have a 18 1/2" Barrel and first night with the bi-pod added to it, and was also racing daylight. Man one hell of a flame!
Grouping in order as fallows
2.746" - 3rds
2.924" - 4rds
1.662" - "
3.223" - "
3.469" - "
I measured from the gray ring on the paper from the holes. I really need that longer barrel and also my shooting needs to improve! I know that much, but I don't remember ever getting groups larger then 2" to 2.5" at 100yrds. Unless this rifle really dose not like the 100GR SP's. At least every shot landed in a 4x4" square. I m taking notes as I go so I will see how things turn out. Wish me luck on my quest for the best bullet and powder combo for this rifle!

lonniemike

I'd guess that no one has told Norma(yet) to take it easy on old weak questionable Swede steel. They still publish velocities of 2850fps for their cartridge w/ a 139 grain bullet and 2650fps for their cartridge w/ a 156 grain bullet. My 29" M96 goes just a little faster than published with the 156 Norma and my 22" sporter 96 travels at about 2550fps with the 156 Norma. Some moderators on other boards have edited and/or deleted some of my postings as being in excess of military velocities or above most US published load datas. US published 7mm and 8mm loads are usually lightly loaded too. best-o-luck

bigjack59

lonniemike: I shoot Norma out of a 29" Swede as well. I have never had problems, but I have only shot about 100 rounds. Have you ever had a reason to worry about shooting the Norma factory stuff out of your Swede?

lonniemike

Bigjack59, No I have not had any problems----yet----and apparently neither has Norma. Other than some peoples fears and missgivings I think most problems Swedes encounter are cupro-nockel fouling from Danish mil ammo and trying to handload the Swede into a 264WinMag. best-o-luck

Slamfire

Holly crap it dosnt get cold there in the winter!

Heck, in Florida, you run around in shorts in February. Really different than Maine, eh?

Right now, it is so hot, that my shadow screams when it touches the pavement. :D

Can't wait for winter.

James Kain

Grouping size

Dose anyone else have grouping issues at 100 yards? My groups just have about half in to inch chopped off by getting a powder tricker. My FPS has stableised in at 30' or less fps difference. But a 2" to 2 1/2" grouping is still bad in my opinion.

James Kain

No finer rifle cartridge exists than the 6.5x55 Swede !!
I agree, no matter what your shooting, if you don't hit in the kill zone your going to need a second shot. I m sure if and when you use a larger gun and get a non kill zone hit, just means you don't have to walk so far in the bush to find him. But still who knows how far that really is. ;) I don't know about you guys but I really don't want to drag the critter farther then I have to.