6.5 swede

predator86

what can you tell me about this round? my dad just picked up a swedish mauser chambered in 6.5x55 and i admit that i know NOTHING about this round, good long range round? pricey ammo? ????

Arabia

Well a search would bring up a lot of information since this topic has been discussed many times on this site.

It was a the standard military round of the Norway and Sweden for nearly 60yrs. 6.5x55mm Swede is an excellent round that has been a popular sporting round in Scandinavians countries for generations. It has been used to hunt just about everything in Sweden from deer to moose. It has become increasing popular in this country due to the importation of Swedish Mauser rifles. Ballistically it is similar to the .260 Remington which is also a 6.5mm round. It is an excellent long range round. The 6.5 Swede is able to handle the heavier 140 gr bullets for larger game. 6.5 Swede is manufactured by most ammo makers in the US so it can be found at well stocked gun stores. It is expensive compared to say .308Win but not usually unreasonable. I reload for this round since I can not find it stocked in my area. Their use to be surplus ammo on the market but that has all but dried up. It might never become as popular as other cartridges in this country but it has sparked the 6.5mm calibers popularity in this country. Though few firearm manufactures have chambered rifles in this caliber the .260 Rem is more popular for American shooters.

predator86

thanks for the reply, thats exactly what i was looking for.....

i would have done a search but i am posting from work so its not like i can sit here at the computer for more than 5 minutes at a time before i have to run off and fix something or running parts back and forth from quality.......but otherwise i would:D

Threefeathers

This is my absolutely favorite long range round. I have two Swedes and they are both tack drivers from the start. I'm on the verge of having a Tactical rifle made from a Remington action in 6.5X55 just to show off. It will equal the 30:06 at 1K meters and with less recoil. You can load the Swede rifles fully. Downloading came because the old Norwegian Krag rifles were in this caliber and that action isn't as strong.

Colt46

Easy to shoot

Swedes usually have better bore conditions than most milsurps. They were not cheap when it came to providing quality, clean ammo and preventative maintenance with their weapons.
They are low recoil, deadly accurate and a nice aquisition to any collection. Modern actions can be safely loaded a lot higher than ammo that is loaded with the weaker 96 actions that abound.

6thMichCav

The weaker M96 action

I, too, like the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. The fact that it was my 2nd centerfire rifle and the only rifle I've claimed deer with doesn't hurt. In my opinion, the Swede is the perfect rifle for the perfect deer caliber.

I would be curious to see some scientific data on the strength of Swedish mauser actions. Not just, "Well, Hatcher was able to blow it up with this much Bullseye," but a scientific study of like pressures, like loads, and like instrumentation compared to the same tests on modern rifles.

I would be willing to bet that the M96 action is nearly (qualified--nearly) as strong as modern rifles in metallurgy, but probably not as safe from a human safety standpoint. That is to say, I think the Swedes used great steel and heat-treatment, but possibly not as thick, and definitely without the gas-handling features and safety features such as a bolt lug.

Then again, I don't load my Swedes hot, just like I don't run my car hot--the better you take care of it, the longer it performs at its best.

I like the 6.5x55 because it is one of the smallest widely-available cartridges to offer a 140-grain bullet, high SD, and a high BC. The .260 Remington is a great round, but using longer bullets creates powder crushing. I don't care about powder crushing, but I do care about easy bullet seating. If you can find an Arisaka or a Mannlicher in great shape, they are close the the 6.5x55 in ballistics.

When I do my part, both of My Swedes will sit under 2 MOA all day. Some loads creep under 1 MOA, but not consistently; I'm not that great a reloader or shooter. One of my better loads (39.0 H380 and a Remington 120 PSP) will run cloverleaf groups, then open up to 2 MOA.

I just got a 7mm-08 due to the fact that it was on sale and I didn't want to drill & tap my military actions, but if I found a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 tomorrow, I would jump on it.

sneaky pete

6.5 Sweds rule!

Old Sneaky here: I've got 2-6.5Sweds, a 1923 m96/38 CG that was sold by Samco (Miami) as "Sportorized" with a Ram-Line stock, Ironsiter rings, a Simmons 3x9x40 scope and a sling. Took it to a gunsmith, got rid of the rings and scope and changed to Warne bases& QR rings, w/a Sightron II 4x16x40 mil-dot scope and a trigger job. Great hunter out to 500 w/under 1-1/2 MOA accuracy supported--Hand-loads of 123gr,139>142gr will shoot flatter and buck the wind better than any .257, .270, or .308 dia bullets at = velocity. Most of the best Long-range Hi-powwer shooters (1000yds and +) are moving over to the 6.5mm(.264") bullets because of their really high B.C.s and their hi sectional densities. They will stay super-sonic far longer then their .308 brothers. My other 6.5 Swed is a Gevar m-41/B Sniper rifle 1924 CG 1 of 5300+/- m-96s picked by the Swed defence ministry to be converted to a Sniper rifle. It is all "AS-ISSUED" and I love to shoot it at our club mil-surp matches-- these are 80 round matches and after finishing firing the 80 +8(spotters)rounds I walk away with a shoulder that doesn't feel like it had been beaten with a ball-peen hammer. Try that with your '03 or your .303 Enfield, or 8mm Mauser The optics in that 1941 Ajack 4X90 scopeI'd put up against my Leupolds any day. I hope that you'll enjoy your 6.5 Swed as much as I enjoy mine. THANX--SNEAKY

Selfdfenz

predator86

If you are still following your thread....

Someone mentioned the Swedish milsurp ammo at J&G for $8.90/20. It's good/great stuff but berdan primed. The cheapest reloadable/commercial product I have found is at AIM = $9.75/20. It's Prvi Partisan and has worked well for me. Reloads well too.

Eighteeen months ago I would have passed on either of these prices but by today's standards neither is half bad if, like me, you're stuck paying retail and shopping the I-net.

Best

S-

natlmatch

Some cool facts found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Mauser

"Production initially began at the Mauser Obendorf factory in Germany under contract, but soon after Carl Gustav in Sweden were manufacturing the rifles as well. The Swedes felt that their indigenous steel was far superior to all others, and when Mauser was contracted to manufacture M96 rifles in Germany, they were required to use Swedish steel in the manufacturing process. "

"Both the M96 and M38 Swedish Mauser rifles are highly sought after by military rifle shooters and hunters. The 6.5x55 cartridge is ideal for use on medium game, as it has a flat trajectory, low recoil, and high accuracy. Often considered to be one of the best all-round hunting rifle calibres, many M96 rifles in the USA, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa have been sporterised to make deer (or similar game) hunting rifles, and many firearm manufacturers, including Ruger and Winchester manufacture new hunting rifles chambered in the 6.5x55 cartridge."

Enjoy!

NM

O6nop

Ballistically it is similar to the .260 Remington which is also a 6.5mm round.
I was looking for info on my Swedish Mauser and in a search found this thread... it's not too old. But I was curious, one of the responders states the 6.5mm is the same as a .260... isn't it the same as a .264?

I'll go back to my search results now.

Edit: did some more research, 260 Remington IS a 6.5mm round, but actual dimensions are .264". I hope this is right.

Last edited:

oneounceload

My Swede carbine, made in 1907, still shoots three shots off a rest into an inch with it's favorite Sierra 120 BT and 3031. It recoils less to me than its twin, my Remington model 7 in 7-08 with an 18.5 inch barrel.....had the bolt bent and new safety put on for a scope mount- can, and shoot decently with 85-160 gr bullets with the right load......

commanderk

Wish I could find 6.5 non lead ammo

I also love the 6.5 swede but find myself in a situation in Kalifornia where I can no longer hunt with lead bullets. I have had no luck finding any non-lead ammo so now my rifle with probably sit in my safe untill I can move out of this state.

44 AMP

Staff
A couple of things to add...

SAAMI pressure specs for the 6.5 Swede are 45,000psi. The round has really impressive performance for one operating in that low(by modern magnum standards) pressure range. At longer ranges, it actually has less drop than the .30-06.

The M96 action is considered less strong than the Mauser 98 action because it lack the 3rd "safety" lug on the bolt, and does not have the same features for deflecting gas from a ruptured case away from the shooter's face. The "safety" lug on the Mauser 98 bolt doesn't actually do anything (it does not bear on anything in normal use), it is intended to keep the bolt in the rifle if the regular front locking lugs completely fail.

Swedish steel in those days was considered to be the best around, and their machining is first rate. However, the metalurgy of the early 1900 era was not as good as it is today, and the safe bet is not to hot rod these fine old rifles. it just isn't worth the risk.

Be aware that with the original sights Swedes will always shoot high at close (100yd) range. Battlesight zero for these rifles is something like 300 meters. for ranges under that, soldiers were simply taught to aim at the enemy's belt buckle (to get hits in the chest). Changing the front sight blade will allow you to "zero" the rifle at 100 yards in the American fashion.

Also be aware that most Swede military ammo uses a 160gr FMJ RN bullet, and that is what the sights are calibrated for. 120gr and 140gr hunting bullets are the most common in the US, and the 160s are usually a special order kind of thing.

I have one of the infantry rifles (1917mfg) with the 29inch barrel. It is a joy to shoot, being frighteningly accurate and having very mild recoil. With the sights on their lowest setting, hitting the 400yd gong on the rifle range is boringly easy, except in high winds, and even then it isn't super difficult if you can judge the wind. I wouldn't want to have to carry it in the woods day in and day out, but that's what the carbine is for!

tulsamal

I also love the 6.5 swede but find myself in a situation in Kalifornia where I can no longer hunt with lead bullets. I have had no luck finding any non-lead ammo so now my rifle with probably sit in my safe untill I can move out of this state.

So just make some hunting reloads with the Barne's all copper bullets!

Gregg

Wildalaska

Also be aware that most Swede military ammo uses a 160gr FMJ RN bullet, and that is what the sights are calibrated for. 120gr and 140gr hunting bullets are the most common in the US, and the 160s are usually a special order kind of thing.

Actually the Swedes switched to a 139 grainer in 1941, so that all M38 rifles (short rifles) and M96/38s (cut down 96 rifles, the difference being the bolt handle) will be calibrated for the M41 139 grain ball. Older long (96) rifles also used the 139 ball, range cards were affixed to the stock.

BTW, Norma 156 grain 6.5x55 loads shoot close to the old Swede military 160 grain loading.

WildcallmesvenAlaska TM