.45 Long Colt

stinkeypete

Well, people said “irregardless” so often, eventually it got put in the dictionaries.
The correct word is “regardless”, meaning “without regard”.
“Irregardless” is a double negative.
I imagine back in the day folks that owned them just went to the store and ordered .45 from SearsRoebuck.mail

GeauxTide

I bought a 45 Colt Blackhawk after reading an article by Brian Pearce in Handloader #268. I haven't bought any factory ammo for revolvers in decades, so I ordered the dies and bullets. It was astonishing the penetration I got during testing - 4 to 5 feet in soft mud lake banks. Gave some to my youngest son to try on his pig hunt and he poked one in the eye socket at 20 yards. Bullet exited the ham, fist sized. Since I started using this load, a 285 RCBS SAA Hard Cast at 1060fps, I haven't shot my 44 or 357 mags.

Savvy_Jack

Well, people said “irregardless” so often, eventually it got put in the dictionaries.
I imagine back in the day folks that owned them just went to the store and ordered .45 from SearsRoebuck.mail

I say Ain't!

I herd, heard a judge say irrergardless once, I laughed and she DID NOT GRIN!

44 AMP

Staff
There are many technically incorrect or improper words and phrases in common use in English.

When I was in elemetary school and on up, teachers would fault you for using the word "ain't" and backed that up with the fact that "ain't" wasn't in the dictionary. At the time, they were right. Today, "ain't" is in the dictionaries.

Remember that in the 1870s, 80s and up through the early part of the 20th century, precise terminology about cartridge nomenclature was often not all that important to many people. As long as you were understood, using the proper "right" name wasn't that big a deal. And that still holds true about somethings in our world today. But about other things, correct names matter, and can matter A LOT.

My personal theory about how ".45 Long Colt" came into general use is simply a contraction of "long, for the Colt". Somebody going into the dry goods store (or the Army Supply section) and saying "I need some .45 ammo for my pistol.."
Clerk asks "long or short?" and the reply being, "Long, for the Colt".
which over time just became "Long Colt".

No proof just my idea of a plausible way it could have come about.

Forte S+W

I've always heard that ".45 Long Colt" originated with the US Army Cavalry which simultaneously had Colt Single Action Army and Smith & Wesson Schofield Revolvers in service. Early on, the Army ordered supplies of both the .45 Colt and .45 S&W (more commonly known today as .45 Schofield) cartridges, and while the SAA could chamber both cartridges, the Schofield could only chamber the shorter .45 S&W cartridge, which lead to a problem in which soldiers would get the ammo mixed up because they couldn't always tell the difference at a glance, nor were the brand names helpful in differentiating the two, so ammo crates would often be marked ".45 Long" and ".45 Short" right up until the Army finally just started stocking the .45 S&W Schofield exclusively for awhile since it worked with both guns.

The habit later caught on outside of the military and carried on into the days of the .45 ACP cartridge which was also shorter than the the .45 Colt.

zeke

Just so younz have something else to discuss, am still calling all handguns pistols, of which there are revolvers and semi-autos.

Hawg

Just so younz have something else to discuss, am still calling all handguns pistols, of which there are revolvers and semi-autos.
Revolvers were pistols long before semi autos came on the scene. Single shots were pistols long before revolvers were on the scene. They're all pistols, just different types.

"Well, people said “irregardless” so often, eventually it got put in the dictionaries.
I imagine back in the day folks that owned them just went to the store and ordered .45 from SearsRoebuck.mail "

That's just illiterate laziness.

I don't think the same thing drove the origin of Long Colt. I think it came about due to some specific reasons.

One speculation that's been proposed is that it originated with US Army Quartermasters as a means of more positively identifying the revolver cartridge they were ordering.

Another is that it came about because Remington loaded .45 Colt ammo in short cases.

All speculation of course.... irregardless. :p

Jim Watson

Elmer Keith wrote about the short Remingtons with a good bit of disdain.
I have seen pictured on the internet cartridges markedly shorter than standard but still head stamped .45 Colt.

10-96

I don't have the books nearby today, but this thread has me thinking about Julian Hatcher. He did not seem to hold the Military's SAA in very high regard due to durability and accuracy. Does anyone have any insight on what his thoughts were on the cartridge?

shurshot

I for one would not argue with Elmer. He lived in both the end of the old west era and well into the early 1980's. I grew up reading his articles.
.45 Long Colt it is. Elmer said so. ;)

Last edited:

rodfac

I have often heard how concern about the small thin .45 Colt case rim was the reason there are no period contemporary lever guns in .45 Colt. The makers didn't think the rim would hold up to the lever gun's feed & ejection cycle.
I'd heard that way back when, Colt and Winchester had a gentleman's agreement: You make the revolvers, (and not rifles), Colonel, we'll make the rifles (but not in .45 LC and stay out of your revolver business.)

Another oft told tale from my ill spent youth was that the small, dia. of the M-92 Winchester bbl./receiver junction would not adequately support the .45 LC cartridge. Hard to justify this one as the .38-40 & .44-40 rims are virtually the same.

YMMv, Rod

"I'd heard that way back when, Colt and Winchester had a gentleman's agreement: You make the revolvers, (and not rifles), Colonel, we'll make the rifles (but not in .45 LC and stay out of your revolver business.)"

That came later, in 1884 or 1885, IIRC.

Story goes that Colt, which already had the Lightning pump rifle, was looking at coming out with a lever action.

Winchester got wind of that and decided to meet with Colt to discuss products and competition.

Story goes that Winchester said it was thinking of entering the double action revolver market and pulled out a couple of double action prototypes designed by Hugo Borchardt.

Colt's people looked at them and realized that they didn't have anything even remotely as good as the Borchardts.

Out of that came the agreement that Colt would keep manufacturing the Lightning rifle and Colt shotguns, and Winchester would keep with their rifles and shotguns.

But, Winchester wouldn't bring their revolver designs to market, and when Colt dropped the Lightning and their shotguns, they would NOT be replaced.

" Another oft told tale from my ill spent youth was that the small, dia. of the M-92 Winchester bbl./receiver junction would not adequately support the .45 LC cartridge. Hard to justify this one as the .38-40 & .44-40 rims are virtually the same."

Exactly. The only thing I've been able to come up with is that the bottlenecked .44 and .38 cases didn't grab the chamber walls as tightly and were easier to extract, making the small rim less of an issue.

Theory on my part. No clue what the reality is.

Savvy_Jack

The thin bottle neck cartridge cases sealed the chamber when shooting black powder. The 45 Colt case will not seal and the fowling will get into the action and hinder operations.

Hawg

The thin bottle neck cartridge cases sealed the chamber when shooting black powder. The 45 Colt case will not seal and the fowling will get into the action and hinder operations.
Not only that but the cartridge cases of the time were copper and not brass. Once fouling started to build up the extractor would tear through the case rim.