.45 Long Colt

"According to his info, when the govt went to obtain the 1909 DA revolvers, there was concern about the small, thin rim of the .45 Colt working in them. I have often heard how concern about the small thin .45 Colt case rim was the reason there are no period contemporary lever guns in .45 Colt. The makers didn't think the rim would hold up to the lever gun's feed & ejection cycle."

That part is apparently true.

"Anyway, according to my friend's information, the Govt had one of its arsenals redesign the case rim into something thicker and stronger..."

Also true. The work was done at Frankford Arsenal, which was the primary (and at the time I believe only) developer and manufacturer of small arms ammunition for the US military.

"...and he says there were GOVT ammo boxes marked "45 LONG COLT for 1909 Revolver". SO, it is possible that the GOVT named the new rim design cases the "Long Colt" to distinguish them from the original rim design."

That part, I'm not so sure about.

First off, the M1909 cartridge was a return to the full-length Colt cartridge, originally adopted in 1873 but dropped in 1875.

The full-length Colt cartridge was only produced for a few years at Frankford Arsenal because the military acquired the M1875 Schofield revolver chambered in .45 Schofield.

The Schofield cartridge as supplied by S&W for testing had a MUCH larger rim than the original .45 Colt cartridge. It was also shorter, held less powder, and used a 230-gr. bullet.

The military, which had already been receiving complaints about the recoil of the .45 Colt's original load of 40 grains of powder, saw the benefits to S&W's cartridge and adjusted their production. They adopted a rim diameter somewhere in between the Colt and S&W supplied cartridges, reduced the powder charge to 30 grains, and reduce the bullet weight to 230 grains.

After early 1875 or so that cartridge was manufactured for US military revolvers in .45 until .45 ammo production ceased in the early 1900s.

(Note: This site says that both length cartridges were manufactured until adoption of the M1887 round and that US Army Quartermasters were the ones who originated the term LONG as a means of distinguishing between the two rounds.

Interesting theory, one I've never heard before.... and one that bears investigation given that QM records from that time period are still preserved...

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/truth-45-long-colt/)

What I don't understand, though, is why the government simply didn't restart production of the M1887 round instead of going back to the full-length case.

The answer to that may be, however, that the M1909 round was designed for use with a jacketed bullet, which overall was somewhat longer, so it might have been done as a means of supporting the longer bullet. Supposition on my part.

Anyway...

I've seen any number of boxes of M1909 revolver ammunition made at Frankford and none of them have been marked Long or anything even remotely like what your friend is suggesting.

The military boxes were always fairly uniformly designated by the cartridge type and (usually) the firearm(s) for which it was intended to be used.

This is a typical box of period M1909 ammunition

DSCF8868%20[1024x768].JPG

These are the early, full length .45 Colt cartridges as originally adopted for the M1873 revolver. Note that they are loaded with 30 grains of powder, as opposed to the original 40 grains of powder, which was found to give objectionable recoil and was hard on the guns (and troopers).

R.357e628e559e5246fa196fdd24818350

This set of boxes, from just a year or two later, removes reference to the specific gun... as the first of S&W's Shofield revolvers had been purchased for testing and the shorter cased round that could be used in either revolver was being produced by Frankford to remove any possible supply issues.

While it's hard to tell from simply a photograph, if you compare the boxes in this picture to the boxes above, it certainly seems that the bottom set of boxes isn't quite as tall, seemingly indicating that there's a shorter cartridge inside.

11406436_1.jpg

And oh my... here's a box that I have never, ever, seen before...

2nd row, first box...

That's not for the Schofield revolver, that's for the Smith & Wesson No. 3 American, the first as-made cartridge revolver adopted by the US Military.

And made at Springfield, too, in what appears to be April 1871. I had no clue that Springfield was manufacturing handgun ammo at that time... The true clue as to why could be in the primer type listed... The Martin primer, an early centerfire priming system, was still in experimental testing at this time and I believe experimental/test ammunition was primarily loaded at Springfield, while Frankford made production ammunition.

God I'd give my teeth to have that box...

H4128-L128858661.jpg

One thing I came across last night that I had forgotten totally about that may also bear on the entire Colt/Long Colt kerfuffle...

In the early decades of the 20th century Remington produced .45 Colt ammunition...

But in a short case.

I've seen pictures of such rounds, but I've never seen one in person, and I've never seen dimensional specifications on it.

Remington's catalogs from the time period show a bunch of .45 Colt loads, both smokless and black powder, but don't give any specifications on case length or anything like that.

"I have more than a bit of brass marked 9mm Luger. I don't think that's wrong either. it may be the Parabellum in the rest of the word, but in the US 9mm Luger is also correct. DWM's marketing head for the US sold the guns as "Lugers" and Stoeger still has the legal rights to the name "Luger"."

NO NO NO NO NO! ONLY ONE NAME IS CORRECT! THE ORIGINAL NAME! EVERY OTHER NAME IS WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

:D

Remington was advertising .30 Luger ammunition in its catalogs as early as 1909, and not too long after was advertising 9mm Luger, as well.

Still doesn't make it correct... :p

IIRC, Stoeger only acquired the trademark to the name Luger in reference to the handguns sometime after WW I when Germany started opening up trade channels, and never controlled the mark as it pertained to ammunition.

Forte S+W

Well, he's not wrong... I mean, .45 Long Colt was designed with Cavalry in mind, meaning it was designed to be effective against Horses as well as men, and has an almost legendary reputation as a manstopper since it was first introduced alongside the equally legendary Colt Single Action Army Revolver. There's something to be said about a cartridge which has been in production since 1873 and is still so highly regarded despite the invention of more powerful Magnum Handgun Cartridges.

Seriously, for all the advances in ballistics technology, a black powder cartridge firing soft lead bullets still holds a reputation as a manstopper.

As for the nomenclature, folks seriously need to get over it... Even ammo companies label it .45 Long Colt these days to help to better differentiate it from the .45 Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge among the lay person who isn't necessarily knowledgeable when it comes to the differences between .45 Colt and .45 ACP.

Savvy_Jack

As for the nomenclature, folks seriously need to get over it... Even ammo companies label it .45 Long Colt these days to help to better differentiate it from the .45 Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge among the lay person who isn't necessarily knowledgeable when it comes to the differences between .45 Colt and .45 ACP.

The problem is not properly identifying the cartridge at hand. Here is a great example.

The 45 ACP is a semi-Automatic Colt Pistol, hence the "ACP", meaning Automatic Colt Pistol. The "45" refers to the caliber while the "45 ACP" describes the pistol being used. The "45 Auto" would describe the ammunition. The 45 Auto cartridge can be used in other semi-automatic pistols beside Colt's ACP.

The separation is between the firearms used and the ammunition used and is part of the confusion that leads to mislabeling and or misidentification.

The 45 Colt is the same. Even the Colt factory changed the names over the years, it is all about what is popular at the time so products will sale. If it would sell more guns, I think Colt would call it the "45 Long Zombie Killer", ".45 LZK" for short. Colt could care less what it is called or what folks call it as long as it has the word Colt in it....free advertisement.

The only Colt Single Action Army at one time was the Colt M1873 chambered for the 45 caliber Colt cartridge while the Colt Frontier Six Shooter, a "P" Model, was chambered for the 44 WCF...Colt revolvers chambered for any other caliber were just Colt Single Action revolvers and given a particular P-number. However, soon the "Army" name was so popular, Colt called all the Single Actions, "Single Action Army", regardless of the caliber it was chambered for.

Another example is the exact reason why there were several official designations for the 44-40 as we know it today. What started out as the "44/100 for Winchester's New Model of 1873" soon changed to 44 W.C.F. It was Marlin that got UMC (Union Metallic Cartridge Company) to change the designation to 44-40 so Marlin would not be associated with the Winchester name.

The 44 "Long" Colt name as used by many came from the ignorant not knowing what the correct name was for all of the shorter 45 caliber cartridges like the 45 Schofield or the 45 Colt Government, that can be chambered in the Colt SAA. Some even claim it was to distinguish between the 45 Colt and the 45 Auto....but even then, the 45 "Short" Colts all have names....use them correctly and there will never be any confusion.

Ammunition
  • 45 Colt
  • 45 Schofield
  • 45 Colt Government
  • 45 Auto

Here is a link to a 45 Colt ammunition time-line quick reference sheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ogKmx4Mk8E724Blh0OHrfglxgk/edit#gid=884820685

Last edited:

Hawg

Another example is the exact reason why there were several official designations for the 44-40 as we know it today. What started out as the "44/100 for Winchester's New Model of 1873" soon changed to 44 W.C.F. It was Marlin that got UMC (Union Metallic Cartridge Company) to change the designation to 44-40 so Marlin would not be associated with the Winchester name.

44-100 is a Remington rifle cartridge. 44 WCF is 44-40. I have never seen a .45 Colt cartridge with a 45 LC head stamp cartridge.

Savvy_Jack

44-100 is a Remington rifle cartridge. 44 WCF is 44-40. I have never seen a .45 Colt cartridge with a 45 LC head stamp cartridge.

Here is an example of the seldom seen 44/100 used for the Winchester New Model 1873.

Also, unfortunately there are a few "newer" ammo manufactures that use LC on the 45 Colt ammunition but the headstamp is just 45 Colt. Also, Uberti stamps 45 LC on their revolvers. Hate it? YES, with a bloody passion

I also have tones of historical information on the 44-40 here: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/chasing-the-44-40

s9kqja2w38hv2W20cVmRfzoHNUS4swvreZRCf9py-EzspGpDL4q6-Si0oKI17AA74l-qCPmphAkD8iDPchN0a1lyvgijrdvGtI8_eD_nQkK25LFH=w1280

Attachments

• EmbeddedImage.jpg
    EmbeddedImage.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

SIGSHR

"Official" or factory designations vs.popular terms. M-1 Rifle vs. M-1 Garand. U.S. Rifle Model of 1873/1884/1888 vs. Trapdoor Springfield or 45-70. I read accounts by Buffalo Bill referring to his "needle gun"-he meant a Trapdoor Springfield, to me "needle gun" means the Dreyse rifle used by the Prussians.

Savvy_Jack

"...and he says there were GOVT ammo boxes marked "45 LONG COLT for 1909 Revolver". SO, it is possible that the GOVT named the new rim design cases the "Long Colt" to distinguish them from the original rim design."

That part, I'm not so sure about.

First off, the M1909 cartridge was a return to the full-length Colt cartridge, originally adopted in 1873 but dropped in 1875.

Food for thought only!

Another reason that could be considered for the larger rims not fitting the SAA is because Colt did not approve smokeless powders for use in the SAA's until at least (1903 by some folks) 1909 (I am still looking for details).

Back around 1909, "the US Government's loading machines kept dropping an occasional "double charge" of Bullseye in their M1909 45 Colt loads. Most of the time they would blow the gun with the first shot. DuPont came up with a replacement powder called RSQ. One could fire six consecutive double charged 38 caliber loads before it got ugly. Being "rescued" by DuPont, Major K. K. V. Casey requested it be called "RSQ"......Resque!

I have seen box examples as early as 1910. The powder was reported dropped two years later with the Model 1911" but I have seen boxes dated as late as 1913.

SIGSHR

Strictly speaking the M-1 Carbine is not a "carbine" since it is not a shortened version of an existing design but a completely new design firing a round designed especially for it.

Savvy_Jack

Official or factory designations vs.popular terminology. M1873/M1884/M1888 Rifle aka 45-70 or Trapdoor Springfield.

Some books refer the Springfield as the 1873 rifle...always confuses me since my brain is tailored to the Winchester 1873 rifle.

"Also, unfortunately there are a few "newer" ammo manufactures that use LC on the 45 Colt ammunition but the headstamp is just 45 Colt. Also, Uberti stamps 45 LC on their revolvers. Hate it? YES, with a bloody passion"

They you must go absolutely apoplectic at the heresy of .32-40 Winchester or 9mm Luger...

:p

Savvy_Jack

Possibly some of the earliest civilian market 45 Colt ammunition was from Winchester, USCo, and UMC. All three box labels were nearly identical and like the catalogs, always referred to the cartridges as "Colt's 45" (possessive) rather than just "45 Colt" as was seen later.

Winchester advertised the 45 Colt by 1875 and were listed under Center Fire cartridges.

rr3zFwzt2N2ek-_A5q9xaypJPOrXIcmEnBLfCKcTsgusVkRmyyrrLZevOEqryWEzBOGAEZ7XTWEc_CSkcXLMiKE35VlA1QsaUhm-4aD5hg7iSlARz805vMbri0JSswE4qg=w1280

During 1884, just before Winchester started headstamping most of their cartridges, this example is in great condition.
7Qg3mhprKGhjHaeREcPHsPYctCCyQzGIfOuUDF9m_0LNY7vbRqEcjQIGM0SI_xjg9mgGYCJ3_5OHNwyHYWuHYRfHLKcm8u_ev-SdHWgRfrkGJipLR6PB_VfB_qjpJPUY9g=w1280

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    503.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
"Back around 1909, "the US Government's loading machines kept dropping an occasional "double charge" of Bullseye in their M1909 45 Colt loads. Most of the time they would blow the gun with the first shot. DuPont came up with a replacement powder called RSQ. One could fire six consecutive double charged 38 caliber loads before it got ugly. Being "rescued" by DuPont, Major K. K. V. Casey requested it be called "RSQ"......Resque!

I have seen box examples as early as 1910. The powder was reported dropped two years later with the Model 1911" but I have seen boxes dated as late as 1913."

RSQ was a low-density, medium energy powder that was developed to prevent overcharges, as you note.

As far as I know it was used throughout the remaining production life of the M1909 cartridge, which was, I believe, sometime close to US entry into WW I, with some ammunition remaining in store (from what I've heard) until almost WW II.

Commercially RSQ saw quite a bit of use up until around the Great Depression.

"44-100 is a Remington rifle cartridge."

That's the standard way of expressing a .44 caliber bullet in a cartridge loaded with 100 grains of powder.

What Jack is referring to is 44/100, a fraction, or Forty four one hundredths.

That was a pretty common means of identifying ammunition in the VERY VERY early days of the self-contained cartridge, starting in the late 1850s and probably dying out largely by 1880.

I've seen numerous ammunition boxes so marked over the years from a variety of manufacturer's, but it was by far a universal way of telling what the cartridge was.

Savvy_Jack

New Generations, I expect nothing less.

What they are called now and what they were called originally are two different things. Again, they will call it anything if they can get it to sell.

Things change over time, you know, like the word Gay. During my childhood the word Gay was used in the Fred Flintstone song.....and we'll have a gay ole time...mean fun, laughter etc. Now days it is used to reference homosexuals....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2cBOTogSxk

Now that you watched it, how long will it take you to get that song out of your head?

Last edited:

Savvy_Jack

RSQ was a low-density, medium energy powder that was developed to prevent overcharges, as you note.

As far as I know it was used throughout the remaining production life of the M1909 cartridge, which was, I believe, sometime close to US entry into WW I, with some ammunition remaining in store (from what I've heard) until almost WW II.

Commercially RSQ saw quite a bit of use up until around the Great Depression.

Here is a photo or two of an RSQ powder can.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    546 KB · Views: 36