.45 Long Colt

TX Nimrod

Well, now it’s official. The statement below was made in reference to the Alec Baldwin shooting.

5-B9-BA87-F-1917-4-B44-B2-CB-77-D70-DA65-F8-D.jpg

Drm50

I just herd that no Live Ammo was available on set. That means it was snuck in. If so I’m sure investigation will reveal where live round came from. To early to guess, cops more than likely already have suspect. With infighting, ect going on this may not be the prop masters fault.

Montana Jon

Well that's not much credability being a former DEA Senior Agent, I've seen the video where an experienced agent shot himself with a Glock 22 in a classroom... said he was the only one experienced enough to use it... :eek:

OMG! What cartridge is he talking about? No one has ever heard a cartridge by that name.... EVERY!

Such a mystery!

Here we go with this schtick again...

Someone says .45 Long Colt and far too many people lose their freaking minds.

WRONG NAME! NO SUCH CARTRIDGE! NEVER HEARD OF IT! THE ONLY NAME IS .45 COLT!

Say 9mm Luger, .30-30, .32-40 Winchester, though and everyone's "yeah, cool, I love those cartridges!"

Where's the WRONG NAME! NO SUCH CARTRIDGE! NEVER HEARD OF IT!

After all, everyone (who should be educated enough) knows that the PROPER and ONLY correct names for those cartridges are 9mm Parabellum, .30 Winchester Center Fire, and .32-40 Ballard.

And those are just three of dozens of cartridges that people misname without thinking about it and yet nary a peep....

Why is the .45 the ONLY cartridge people seem to lose their ever loving minds about if someone dares to utter the word Long in the middle of the name?

Talk about losing credibility...

Sheesh.

44 AMP

Staff
I too have wondered why so many people seem to go bughouse nuts when you say .45 Long Colt. The frequent response is "there's no .45 Short Colt" and while that is correct, I don't think it matters. The .45 Schofield /,45 Govt rounds are shorter than the "long Colt" and do fit in the Colt revolvers.

Personally I think the "long Colt" name originated with (probably Army) guys with SAA's asking the supply clerk/store clerk for .45 ammo, and being asked "which kind?" and responding "Long, for the Colt.."

Which, over time, became shortened to ".45 Long Colt".

Which I may disagree with their definitons, I am a firm believer of the right of people to make something to call it whatever the hell they feel like.

I have seen factory ammo labeled .45 Long Colt. Not often, but I have seen it, so I consider either .45 Long Colt or .45 Colt as correct. I like saying "Long Colt" it just sounds cool. :D

I have more than a bit of brass marked 9mm Luger. I don't think that's wrong either. it may be the Parabellum in the rest of the word, but in the US 9mm Luger is also correct. DWM's marketing head for the US sold the guns as "Lugers" and Stoeger still has the legal rights to the name "Luger".

I've even seen a US gun maker list their magazines as "clips". I actually asked about that one, and they told me that, yes, they knew the difference, but listed them in their catalogue as "clips" so people would find them easier, and buy them. It did make sense, that way.

rclark

I am a firm believer of the right of people to make something to call it whatever the hell they feel like.
As long as everyone else knows what they are talking about that is. You can't just go around and start calling things they are not :) . Meetings at work would be a lot longer if every had a different word for a device or concept your discussing. Bad enough with just the 3 to 8 letter acronyms that fly around!

That said, while .45 Colt is the proper name, I think that the .45 Long Colt has been around long enough, we all know what you are talking about if though technically it isn't the formal name for the cartridge. I even had to 'explain' to guys behind the counter about .45 Colt, as some think that means .45 ACP. :rolleyes: .... As for me, I'll call it the '.45 Colt' and leave the 'long' to the movies.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
As long as everyone else knows what they are talking about that is. You can't just go around and start calling things they are not . Meetings at work would be a lot longer if every had a different word for a device or concept your discussing

I agree, but I also didn't say everyone got to call everything whatever they wanted, I said the people who make it get to name it.

I'm well aware of the confusion it can cause when people just make up their own names for things that already have names. Here's a story that really happened, at a nuclear chemical plant where I used to work....

There was a guy in the maint dept, an electrician, nice guy, knew electrics but either couldn't or wouldn't learn the correct names of the plant equipment he worked on. SO, he would make up a name for it. The guys who worked with him knew he did that, and knew what he was talking about, but no one ELSE did!

We had a piece of equipment called a "wig-wag agitator" (no joke that's what the maker called it) unlike regular tank agitators (which spin) this one just "wig-waged" back and forth. This was needed due to the nature of the liquid in the tank.

Ok, so it breaks and stops. Maint looks at it, its an electrical problem. THAT GUY the electrician, couldn't remember the right name so he gave it a goofy name of his own. He told the group manager (who apparently knew less about the equipment than he did :rolleyes:) that they needed to order parts for "the weedle beetle" And SHE DID!! She ordered parts for "the weedle beetle".

Couple weeks go by, no parts, wig-wag not fixed, that part of the process still shut down. Upper management asks why. Gets answer from group mgr, "not fixed, no parts yet, don't know why..."
Two more weeks, still no parts, not fixed, upper management now VERY interested and rather grumpy. Demands why isn't this fixed yet?
Grp manager has no answer. Some member of the operating crew, who shall remain nameless (and blameless) suggests through "back channels" to upper mgt that they might want to look into WHAT parts got ordered and by whom.

Two weeks later, wig-wag is fixed and group manager is ...reassigned. Union electrician gets "counseled" and "remedially trained".

Using the right names absolutely matters. And the "right" name is what the maker says it is. Even if that is confusing to you or I.

Look at all the fun we have with the Ruger Vaquero and the Ruger New Vaquero, for another example. Ruger and a few other people are very clear on the difference between the guns. The rest of the world, not so much, it seems. :D

Radny97

OMG! What cartridge is he talking about? No one has ever heard a cartridge by that name.... EVERY!

Such a mystery!

Here we go with this schtick again...

Someone says .45 Long Colt and far too many people lose their freaking minds.

WRONG NAME! NO SUCH CARTRIDGE! NEVER HEARD OF IT! THE ONLY NAME IS .45 COLT!

Say 9mm Luger, .30-30, .32-40 Winchester, though and everyone's "yeah, cool, I love those cartridges!"

Where's the WRONG NAME! NO SUCH CARTRIDGE! NEVER HEARD OF IT!

After all, everyone (who should be educated enough) knows that the PROPER and ONLY correct names for those cartridges are 9mm Parabellum, .30 Winchester Center Fire, and .32-40 Ballard.

And those are just three of dozens of cartridges that people misname without thinking about it and yet nary a peep....

Why is the .45 the ONLY cartridge people seem to lose their ever loving minds about if someone dares to utter the word Long in the middle of the name?

Talk about losing credibility...

Sheesh.

Preach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I wonder if people ever find ammo in the store for their 45 LONG Colt?"

Nope. Never have, never will... because that's not the correct name!

Oh, WAIT...

R.1c0ee534407ef5304ce65c6f8c3ae4f6

Well, that's obviously a one off, never to be repeated or seen ever again...

Oh WAIT!

633417m2_ts.jpg

Well, those are just two small manufacturers, obviously no large, major manufacturer would ever use that name...

Oh WAIT!

fiocchi-cowboy-action-45-long-colt-250gr-lrnfp-handgun-ammo-50-rounds-1656700-2.jpg

And this one is a really fun one...

Yeah, Federal calls it the .45 Colt...

But look at that stock number...

I wonder what that AE45LC stock identifier means...

66e3c124732578442d9103319cac13dc.jpg

gaseousclay

I haven't seen 45LC in awhile. Not even Scheels has it in stock. My local Scheels has a Miroku Winchester '92 in 45LC for $1600+. Nice rifle but might as well use it as a club

44 AMP

Staff
a late night phone conversation with a friend last night gave me some more information, which MAY indicate that "Long Colt" came from the US Govt.

According to his info, when the govt went to obtain the 1909 DA revolvers, there was concern about the small, thin rim of the .45 Colt working in them. I have often heard how concern about the small thin .45 Colt case rim was the reason there are no period contemporary lever guns in .45 Colt. The makers didn't think the rim would hold up to the lever gun's feed & ejection cycle.

Anyway, according to my friend's information, the Govt had one of its arsenals redesign the case rim into something thicker and stronger and he says there were GOVT ammo boxes marked "45 LONG COLT for 1909 Revolver". SO, it is possible that the GOVT named the new rim design cases the "Long Colt" to distinguish them from the original rim design.

The modified thickened rim is what is on .45 Colt cases to this day. AND, I think its the reason that today we have lever guns in .45Long Colt that do work well.

We'll probably never know the exact reason or time when "Long Colt" became part of the common usage, certainly it happened during the era of short & long .32 and .38 revolver rounds but beyond that, its just a guess. What we do know and can prove is that Ammo makers have produced ammo marked .45 Long Colt, and since the folks who make it get to name it, then I consider both .45 Colt and .45 Long Colt to be correct names for the round.

That might not be right, in your opinion, but who are we to say the manufacturer is using incorrect nomenclature, and so is wrong??
Not I....:D