45-70 rifle?

SaxonPig

If you buy an H&R or similar LW rifle in 45/70 I hope you love severe recoil. I have an older Trapdoor H&R that is likely of similar weight and it kicks the begeezus out of me. Not fun to shoot with anything other than gallery loads.

standard.jpg

smee78

What about a Ruger #1 in 45-70? I saw one at a LGS today, used with a scope for $830. I am a fan of Rugers but have never had any experience with there single shot rifles. The gun had been used and was in need of a little TLC but nothing to bad. What say yall?

Doyle

Very well-made rifle and very strong. However, they can have some tricky accuracy issues that require either tweaking the rifle itself or custom tailering a load.

dgludwig

However, they can have some tricky accuracy issues that require either tweaking the rifle itself or custom tailering a load.

So I've heard-and have read many accounts as to how to best rectify accuracy problems with the Ruger No. One. That said, my No. One, a varmint model chambered in .220 Swift, out-of-the-box, is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. No "tweaking" and with Hornady factory loads.

m&p45acp10+1

I have Marlin 1895 that I bought new just before Christmas. It shoots my cast bullets like laser beams with the light loads I run through it. I ran some loads with IMR 4198 that get into the upper end of standard pressure loads that are the non Buffalo Bore Magnum Lever Gun loads. Recoil with the heavier loads are comprable to my 870 Rem 12 GA with buck shot. The light loads are a pleasure to shoot. The hotter ones are not severe. Though I will stick with the lighter ones as they are more fun to shoot 50 or more of.

If you do the .45-70 Gov't I would suggest reloading for it if you plan on shooting it much. If you cast then you can shoot a whole lot for verry little. The brass life if great, and loading is very flexible from light gallery loads, up to elephant stopping power if you do not fear detached retina, or a bruised shoulder.

mete

The accuracy problems with only SOME Ruger #1 s has long been there and fixes for it have been around just as long.Get it , fire it and only if it has the problem correct it --no big deal.
Or get a 1885 Browning [Miroku]. Have mine for a dozen years and love it
45-70 doesn't kill by velocity ,it just makes a large hole !:)

WIN1886

The Ruger #1 is a great rifle....light enough so you can comfortably carry it in the field , can handle the hottest loads within the recommended data of reloading manuals which I never approach anyway ( I stay within recommended lever action top loads ) , and my scoped Ruger #1 can hit the 200 yard 8" gong at the range every time and then some ! :)

Last edited: