45-70 rifle?

I live in big cat and bear country. Most of the time those critters will leave you alone. Its if they don't I prefer my 45-70 to be a repeater.

az_imuth

You should also check out one of the Browning 1886 rifles or carbines if you happen to run across one. I picked up one of the carbine models recently and can state that they are very well built rifles and a joy to shoot. My brother has a Marlin guide gun and I'm going to have to take it for a spin first chance I get. Here's my 1886 Browning with his little brother (BL-22).
Browning_Duo_zpsd216bb3f.jpg

I have five or six 45-70's... they start with a 14" hunter barrel in a Contender pistol ( & yes the Encore can take "it" they get chambered in belted magnums, & even .416 Rigby )

... I also have a safari built Enfield Martini single shot, with leaf sights, a Bakail break action side by side double, that's really fun to shoot, but my strongest, is a Marlin Guide gun...

... & I hand load 3 different ranges of ammo :)

sc928porsche

Nothing wrong with the marlin lever action. Probably the most versatile. Only downside I can think of when using the single shot is if Mr. Bruin is around. That said, its your choice. Personally I am rather fond of my Siamese Mauser in 45/70.

Moloch

H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70. Great rifle, but very lightweight, the heavier loads shot from the bench feel like 3'' magnum slugs from a light shotgun! A lot of fun, but only for a couple of shots! :eek:

25809-DEFAULT-L.jpg

Sturm&Rugerfan

I like 45-70G I currently own 4 of them

I got a ruger no 1 45-70G lipesy edit
a marlin ss Davidson trapper
a tc encore 16 1/2" braked blued factory custom shop
a marlin ss guide with scout scope Leupold scout variable xs sights and
wild west big lever

They also have 45-70 in a Siamese Mauser and you can also get a magnum research bfr 45-70 revolver.

Attachments

• 4570k.jpg
    4570k.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 26

Geezerbiker

I have a H&R .45-70 but not the Buffalo Carbine model. I mostly shoot trap door Springfield level or lighter loads from it but it is a light rifle and does kick a bit with the warmer loads. If I were to shoot hotter loads regularly I think I would put a weight in the stock to help with recoil. I looked at a Sharps replica at a local gun shop last week and I'd guess it weight at lest twice as much as my H&R but it also cost 4x as much (used) as my rifle did new.

It is also a very accurate rifle and it's rapidly becoming my favorite rifle. I bought it because I wanted something that I could shoot big cast bullets from and it does that very well.

I have a safe full of other rifles and I'm not sure if I plan to hunt with this one but I know I could if I wanted to.

Tony

dgludwig

I really like my Winchester/Miruko 1886 "Extra Lightweight" carbine, chambered in .45-70, for its accuracy and handling qualities. I have a Williams "FoolProof" receiver sight mounted on it.

smee78

It would be for fun/hunting/targets. I really dont have a reason in mind, just looks like a fun gun to try.

Cary

If you don't load your own you will want to start if you get a 45-70. As stated 99% of the over the counter amo is rated for trap door rifles and is limited. The other factor is the price of the amo. Loading your own will give you more versatility and economy. I have a Marlin 1895 made when Marlin was still making them and it is a fine example of the quality guns they once made. I would look for a nice used Marlin. Some people bought them and shot them very little because of the recoil and cost of amo. I purchased my gun new and it has seen one box of factory amo. The rest has been my own loads and I cast my own bullets for it. It is a fun round to load and shoot. There is a lot of load information and components for those who load their own.
Cary

smee78

Sorry I forgot to mention, I do reload and would start reloading for this caliber if I were to get into it. I also would be looking for a nice used gun, I can count the amount of new guns I have bought on two hands and still have extras fingers left over afterwards.:eek:

Cary

As has been mentioned recoil can be substantial in the 45-70. I use either a 340 or 405 gr cast bullet in my Marlin 1895. The 340 gr is more comfortable to shoot. I would not want to shoot the 45-70 in anything lighter. A decent recoil pad is a very good idea as well. Have fun in your quest.:)
Cary