45-70 rifle?

smee78

Hey everyone,

I am thinking about picking up a 45-70 rifle. I have not shot one yet but was thinking about a simple break action or Marlin just because. No reason or justification on this one. Anyone got some helpful tips for the 45-70?

Doyle

There are basically 3 levels of "strenght" of 45-70 platforms. Lowest is the old trapdoor models. It is because of them that 45-70 ammo is kept at a very low pressure relative to the large cartridge size.

Next up on the list are the modern lever-action platforms. They can take higher pressure ammo - including the relativelty srong Hornady Leverevolution stuff.

Highest is the T/C Encore or similar rifles. They can take hand loaded ammo at a pressure that would blow up a trapdoor.

I'm going to be in the market for an Encore barrel soon myself.

taylorce1

I don't have any helpful tips on it, I picked up a used Encore Pro-Hunter barrel awhile back in this cartridge. I don't have any real use for it either other than I thought I wanted to try it. I got a pretty good deal on it, but I'm thinking of sending it down the road without even mounting it on my Encore.

Life is just getting in the way of me trying it out. I started a new job last year, been moving around a lot, living out of an RV, lack of shooting places now. Just a long laundry list of why I haven't played with that barrel yet.

For the price I'd look and see if you can find a CVA Apex or Optima Elite rifles and third choice an H&R/NEF single shot. Encores will be as expensive if not more so than a Marlin. You might check as well some of the gun auction sites you might be able to pick up a Siamese Mauser, Enfield, P14, or 1917 converted to .45-70 as well pretty reasonable.

ruger357w

I have the marlin guide gun and love it. I've taken two moose with it and three deer over the years. It is my go to rifle for hunting.

BumbleBug

Consider a Ruger #1 in .45-70

I love my #1, a beautiful rifle in .45-70. I shot it extensively with cast bullets & it was comfortable from the bench & very accurate out to 200 yds.

I worked up a heavier load last year using 300 gr Rem JHP. I wanted a speedy bullet to minimize my range guesstimation for WT deer hunting. I shot a large doe broadside at 100 yds. She ran a short distance & piled up. She left the heaviest blood trail I'd ever seen!

FWIW...

...bug

NoSecondBest

There are basically 3 levels of "strenght" of 45-70 platforms. Lowest is the old trapdoor models. It is because of them that 45-70 ammo is kept at a very low pressure relative to the large cartridge size.

Next up on the list are the modern lever-action platforms. They can take higher pressure ammo - including the relativelty srong Hornady Leverevolution stuff.

Highest is the T/C Encore or similar rifles. They can take hand loaded ammo at a pressure that would blow up a trapdoor.

I'm not sure the Encore is in this category. I know the Ruger #1 and some bolt guns are but I don't think the Encore qualifies. I have several 45-70 rifles and they've become my favorite guns to load and shoot. I currently use my Win 1886 and my Win High Wall the most. I've had a couple of Pedersoli 1874 Sharps which were great shooters and a Pedersoli High Wall. I found these guns to be very accurate and fun to shoot but just too heavy for hunting. I have killed several whitetails with them though but for walking they were too heavy. Great for stand hunting.

mete

I found the Rem 300 JHP too fragile for me.I've settled on the Corbon 300 DPX [Barnes all copper] , excellent performance.
Rifles are the Browning 1885 [High Wall falling block type] and a very fine Rolling Block reproduction .The Browning is as strong as the Ruger #1 , both very accurate !!

Doyle

I know the Ruger #1 and some bolt guns are but I don't think the Encore qualifies.

It sure does. The 20" barrel used for the 45-70 is essentially the same one used for the .460S&W. That beast has a horrendous pressure curve.

NoSecondBest

It sure does. The 20" barrel used for the 45-70 is essentially the same one used for the .460S&W. That beast has a horrendous pressure curve.

Nothing to do with the barrel, it's the way it locks up that is the weak link. They will handle the lighter 45-70 loads but not the ones loaded for the Ruger #1.

mehavey

I have the marlin guide gun and love it.
+MegaDittos

I have five (5) rifles that have "45" as the first two numbers.

That 45-70 GuideGun is my 1st choice for any unknown situation
-- giant aliens with bad tempers, or woodchucks with an attitude. :rolleyes:

Moloch

You might want to check out the Sharps 1874 rifles if you plan on shooting a lot from benches at long ranges, the Sharps is by far the most accurate platform for this caliber and since the 45-70 has a good kick to it its comfortable to shoot out of this heavy rifle from benches - even when you're using bullets weighing 500 and 600 grains. :eek: :cool:

2009515122937_1.jpg

Last edited:

WIN1886

No expert on the 45-70 but have been shooting 3 different rifles chambered in it for the last 15 years.....I love it some don't ! It is easy to handload for and most modern rifles can handle hotter loads ! Mild loads are a joy to shoot and is all that is necessary for most hunting that I do...I have loaded hotter stuff for my Ruger #1 that definitely gets your attention ( its all good ) ! :D

Last edited:

NoSecondBest

No expert on the 45-70 but have been shooting 3 different rifles chambered in it for the last 15 years.....I love it some don't ! It is easy to handload for and most modern rifles can handle hotter loads ! Mild loads are a joy to shoot and is all that is necessary for most hunting that I do...I have loaded hotter stuff for my Ruger #1 that definitely gets your attention ( its all good ) !

My thoughts exactly.

Dr. A

Unfortunately, the 45-70 is one of those calibers that only one gun in the caliber would never do. I've got my first 45-70 gun, a Marlin 1895, with a 22 inch barrel. Its got a few scars, and been used a lot with pigs, bison and elk with a couple of deer and what I used when I experimented with loads. It shot a bit of jacketed bullets before I got into cast. 45-70's are one of the best cast platforms. Whether you cast or not it doesn't matter, the 45-70 should be reloaded. Very effective loads exist in the lowest pressure (trapdoor) that take very large game with ease. Higher pressure simply is not needed. Most of us have to check them out. I was one that loaded on the higher end and discovered that a big chunk of flying lead is going to kill and usually have an exit no matter the bullet or speed. I also have the 1895GS, and a 1895CB. All are fun, and what I use when I need repeaters. For the most part, hunting can easily be done with a single shot. I've got a Buffalo Classic and a Ruger #1 as well. The Ruger is short, handy, and very accurate. It can shoot the higher pressure loads, but is not particularly fun to use with them. I also have a Baikal double barrel I got primarily for fun. Its accurate with my reloads, and probably what I'll use here in the Fall after bow season.

A 45-70 is probably not necessary for most folks. I've used it like I have to increase the challenge and pleasure of hunting. Kind of like bow hunting. Get close and develop the load you want. They are very fun, and can become your primary range shooter.