44 Magnum for HD?

mavracer

No, it's not going to save your hearing, but shooting a lower dB cartridge is going to do less damage. A few dBs makes a big difference...it's a logarithmic scale.
that's actually a good argument FOR a 44 magnum most good SD rounds Corbon/hydro-shok or the short barrel Golddots are midrange loads my 240gr hydro-shoks have 700+ ft.lbs. of energy.Now I don't know what Federals actual pressure is but most load data for that power level and bullet weight are in the 28-30K range. I've shot them indoors and I assure you the a Glock 23 with any good SD ammo has more blast and is still 200 ft.lbs short.

rclark

No, it's not going to save your hearing, but shooting a lower dB cartridge is going to do less damage.
And you notice from the tables in above reference the .357Mag is almost 10db louder than .44spec and .45 Colt.... .44Mag is not listed. That is quite a difference. .45 Colt is what I use for HD. .44Special would work fine too. Won't be shooting any grizzlies in my front room, so .44Mag is not necessary in my opinion.... Works for me....

fourdogs

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but if you hand load you can bring the velocity way down subsonic to <600fps if needed. I've loaded 340gr WFN with 2.5 of Trail boss in my 44. Have also loaded 360gr WFN with the same charge in my 454 Casull. You hardly know the gun's going off, but the round will penetrate a 2x4@ 20 feet. I think one or two of those would be a good reality check for a burglar. I would use factory ammunition for the remaining rounds uncase he didn't get the message with the first two.

P99AS9

I've thought about putting my S&W 629 Classic in the night stand a few times, but I never have. Personally I prefer a 9mm or 45. I suppose if you practice enough with it, and recoil and follow-up shots weren't an issue, than go for it!

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
I do practice regularly. From a bench or other rest I can count on 6" or better with the 44 mag at 100 yards. Shooting offhand at 25 yards its more like 10"-12".

Now switch to the 44 spcl in the same gun. At 100 yards shooting from a rest my group is pretty much the same 6" but offhand at 25 yards shooting one handed its more like 3"-4" on a typical day and less than that on a really good day. At 8 yards shooting the 44 mag out of my SA gun as fast as I can a typical group will be in the 10" range +/-2". With the 44 spcl count on a single ragged hole. That is why for SD/HD purposes I prefer the special.

I like being able to keep hitting the same spot or any other spot I am choosing like the bridge of his nose. Keeping my 44 mag on the head of a man size target rapid fire at 8 yards is close to 50%, not acceptable. Add in Dark thirty in the morning, waking up and adrenaline flush. I don't care how much you practice, fine motor skills go to pot on you in a hurry so the easier you make it on yourself the higher your odds of being able to sleep in your own bed the following night is.

Just dos centavos from an old dinosaur.

Malamute

Depends on what you need to keep out of your house.

I keep one handy, but people are way down my list of concerns.

I agree that the 357 is far worse in the muzzle blast department than the 44. I often carry medium vel loads in the 29, 240-250 gr swc or Keith bullets at about 1000 fps. It's very comfortable to shoot, and far less blast and recoil than full power loads. Also noticably flatter shooting out to 2 or 300 yards than the 44 spl.

zxcvbob

If you really like muzzle blast, get a pistol in .30 Carbine (Ruger Blackhawk or Automag III.) As an added bonus, if you are close enough the fireball should set the bad guy on fire :D

ISP 5353

LIke others have said, A .44 mag is powerful and there is some muzzle blast, but if you have one that you shoot it well, then go for it. Practice lots!

Golfin Gator

I have a S/W model 29-2 4" with Hornady Critical defense. A buddy of mine says it's too much and since I live in a housing development, need to worry about overpenetration.

I worry about follow up shots if needed, but I sleep better knowing I have it.

crimsondave

I have fired my 357 mag indoors. It was very loud, but, geez fellas, it wasn't like it permanently damaged my hearing! One time is not going to make you deaf. I would think one would like to avoid shooting any gun in your house very often.

CarbineCaleb

In my opinion, the .44 magnum was designed as a big game round, and the main thing you get for all that extra recoil, is penetration. That's great for pigs, black bear, elk... but not needed (or useful) for people.

If you might need to shoot personnel, I think you should use an anti-personnel round, like a hot loaded .45ACP or a mid-level .45LC, in a nice 5-6 inch S&W 625. They will still go clean through the person with proper loads, but your recovery for followup shots will be much quicker than with the .44 magnum.

rc

A 44 magnum makes a wonderful self defense weapon as good as a .45 acp. However it must be loaded with something like a Federal LSWCHP or a CCI 200 grain gold dot in .44 special persuasion. It's similar in power to a 45 acp and light recoiling in a heavy 44 magnum like a double action redhawk. rc

FP2000H

That's a nice Blackhawk at the top of the page!

Haifisch that is a beautiful Blackhawk and, I dare say, exactly like the one I'm looking for! I would probably load it with .44 spl for home defense, but it's nice to have the option.

I currently keep a P228 loaded with 15+1 rounds of 147 grn Hornady. I'm confident it will produce an attitude change in a burglar rather quickly. If I lived in my own house, in the country or someplace where neighbors weren't so close, I would consider a .44 magnum for home defense but definitely with a back-up shotty or other revolver in place.