.41 magnum ammunition?

zdogk9

210 LSW $.01, powder $.02-$.05 primer $.03. You do have to roll your own but for less than ten cents a round, fifteen if I go hot, I can live with it. My Redhawk is scary accurate, very controllable even with hot loads, and just fun. Works good on deer too, coyotes hate it besides. It's hard to say which I like better .45 Colt or .41 Mag, .44 Mag is very nice but my favorite is one of the first two mentioned. It'd suck not to reload and shoot any of the above three though, come to think of it it would suck to shoot anything but .22 LR if I didn't reload

tex45acp

I, like so many of you here, have had a love affair with the 41 mag for over 25 years. I have three Redhawks that I handload for and a Taurus Model 415. I have been lucky enough to find some loaded rounds at a couple of funshows here in Texas from some very reputable manufacturers. There is still some factory loads out there but you have to really look for them. Like said above it is definately a handloaders caliber and a good reason to get into handloading. Good luck on your decision.

Here are my 3 stainless Redhawks in 41mag. A 7.5 with a Leupold 2X EER Scope, a 5.5" and a custom 4" I made from another 5.5".
ThreeKings1.jpg

NOWUS

Taurus, what model ? 425 ???
probably magnaported, If so, Lead really sticks to the holes in the barrel..,
Real Pain to clean, I stick to Copper jacketed for that reason...

I think you will fine the gun will shoot pretty good, But you have to keep the crane ( front latch pin ) clean to make stay tightly closed ( well snug )'
Ahhh kinda snug, anyway needs to be cleaned regular,

zdogk9

Roll my own, next batch might be 1 1/2 cent with increase in wheel weight cost, but then again a friend who manages a tire store owes me a favor.

MADISON

Cheap .41 Magnum Ammo

The .41 magnum is a reloaders cartridge!
I am not familiar with how strong a Tarus hand gun is. Here are my loads:
Using either a 210 or 220 grain bullet...
17.5 grains of 2400
8.0 grains of UNIQUE [This duplicates the old police load.]
5.0 grains of UNIQUE My PPC load.
With either 5.0 or 8.0 grains of Unique you can call them .41 Special loads...

2sigs

I Love the .41 :eek:

I loaded some maggies up today 215's 225's and some 290's

then some Real .41 Specials with 9.0Gr. of Blue Dot pushing 215 lswc's Fire them out of a 6" 686 for a cool factor of 10 :cool:

-2sigs

dakotashooter2

And don't toss those cases with split necks. Just trim them to "special" length and load accordingly. I tend to load a 230 -240 gr bullets, that would not chamber in my Taurus 425 with full length case, in those special cases and get a very accurate and devistating load for small game.

zdogk9

I do believe that the price from Laser Cast is 11.7 cents a boolet. Least thats what they're saying on their web site.

gobydave

I've had excellent luck with Kinematics Research 41 mag ammo. Georgia Arms has been good to me with their .223, .308, and .45 ammo but I haven't tried their 41's yet. Kinematics was WAY below retail when using my brass. I've had one failure to fire in 2000 rounds.

BillCA

For reloaded ammo there are:

Load-X (Northern California)
Georgia Arms (Georgia)
Outdoor Marksman
Ammunition to Go
Miwall Corp

I've used Load-X which runs from either a light load to a moderate load, depending on which kind you buy. He'll also work with you on a preferred load if you buy in quantity.

Georgia Arms is excellent too, it just ends up a little more expensive here on the left coast.

Ammunition To Go carries DRS reloaded ammo which I have not yet tried.

Miwall is inexpensive, although many folks tell me it is somewhat erratic between shots.

For my S&W .41's I prefer to use the 175-grain Winchester Silvertip for defensive work since it is much more controllable.
M58x2SW_1033M.jpg

Since I'm not reloading at the moment, I'd like to find someone knocking out reliable "Police" loads (210 gr at about 950 fps) with hard cast LSWC bullets.

Hammer It

Hello
I acquired a S&W model 57 No Dash Many years ago in swap. I let go of a model 624 in .44 Special for it and never looked back. Part of the deal was that the swap included 1000 Bullets, 1000 once fired brass cases and an old Hornady Nitride competition Die set. I have used about 250 of the 1000 bullets and I simply love the .41 Magnum. I have it's brother the .44 Magnum which is a model 29-2 as well, but Prefer the .41 Magnum as I hand load for all my center fire handguns. I have actually found cheaper deals on Bullets at Gun shows for the .41 Magnum compared to the .44 Magnum they are not as Popular and most often the reloading supplies can be cheaper when guys are selling them off. My vote goes for the .41 Magnum. . Hammer it

Model_57_right_View_smooth_Targets.jpg

Model_57_Left_view_smooth_Targets.jpg

BillCA

Handloading really does bring out the best in the .41 Mag.

Unfortunately, 97% of the loads available are full power hunting loads. But I guess a lot of folks use the .41 for hunting deer and pigs (it'll flat anchor most pigs).

Self-defense loads with a hard cast 200-220gr LSWC running about 850-950 fps are easier to shoot well. At 1000 fps a 210-gr is stout with 466 ft-lbs of energy which will ruin anyone's day if they're on the receiving end.

At the other end of the spectrum, folks like Buffalo Bore have some heavy hitters suitable for close range bear, elk and armored cars. :p

I've lost the recipe, but once made up some 200-gr hard cast LSWC rounds that fired at 950 fps. Accurate at least to 25-yards with recoil about like a .38 Special. I need to clear my workbench so I can reload that one again, ideally with a LSWC-HP arrangement.

HammerIt,

Nice Nickle 57. I have it's long-nosed brother and the blued version of your nickle job.

M57L_1086M.jpg

billn353

Cheap ammo for the 41 Mag

A place called Georgia Arms - 770-459-5117 has 210 gr semi-wadcutter cowboy load (New Ammunition) for $23.00 for 50 rounds. Found and purchased some at a gun show and they seem to work fine!

Hammer It

Hey Bill
I had a 6" version and Like a Fool, Sold it. :eek: Nice 6" you have there. Id say It's Time to sit in your recliner with it, using some Flitz on the face of that cylinder...:p Hammer It

Chesster

A place called Georgia Arms - 770-459-5117 has 210 gr semi-wadcutter cowboy load (New Ammunition) for $23.00 for 50 rounds. Found and purchased some at a gun show and they seem to work fine!

Welcome Bill. You found a pretty old thread for your intro. GA Arms makes some good ammo, some that is hard to find from the big makers.