.41 magnum ammunition?

MedicineBow

A friend just acquired a Taurus .41 magnum. He was wondering if it was possible to find relatively inexpensive ammunition for target shooting. I told him I'd put the question in front of the brain trust here.

Any information/suggestions would be appreciated.

yettoblaster

When I had a Blackhawk in .41 mag I hand loaded, but there was a store in Salinas CA (Trigger Hill), that sold reloads in .41 mag for about $10 per 25.

Their reloads were pretty accurate, and not quite full house semi wadcutters.
They called 'em "practice" loads. I guess that meant sort of a softer "target" load, but they were still stout enough to feel like real work was being done by my book.

Of course rolling my own was much cheaper, once I acquired a fair supply of brass.

The 4&5/8" barrel I had handled beautifully and shot VERY accurately, compared with most other stuff I owned at the time.

Doing it all over, I now shoot .44 mag. Lots easier to live with, but there'll always be a soft spot in my head for .41 mag., and I still love a Blackhawk in 4&5/8".

kyle663

I have a contender in 41 mag, cheap and 41 mag dont go together for factory loads. roll youre own or hope you have a friend that can reload for you.

publius

Used to have a Blackhawk 4 5/8. Stolen. Now have a S&W m58. Both deadly accurate, the Smith a little more so. Others are right, it is a handloaders round. Start loading, initial cost isn't that bad, and will pay for itself in short time. also have better rounds not only for your .41 but all your guns.

2sigs

I have a atleast 4 41's now that I think about it and I Roll my own, However if I didn'nt I would buy Federal CastCore as I have heard it is the best commonly found cast bullet available for the 41.

As others have stated 41 is a Handloaders round but it is a GREAT Cartridge

-2sigs

SIGSHR

When I reloaded I found the .41 Magnum very easy to reload, though I usually loaded only "service" loads. Only real drawback is finding bullets for it.

22-rimfire

Try GA Arms. They sell a lot of their own loaded ammunition. Quality is excellent. Pricing is generally very competitive. They sell a low powered load as well for plinking. http://www.georgia-arms.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=41+magnum&btnSearch=GO&Page=1

The 41 magnum is my favorite of the large bore handgun calibers. I shoot them a fair amount. All centerfire ammunition is getting expensive. $1 per round is not uncommon anymore. The 41 magnum can do almost anything the 44 magnum can do. It also seems to shoot flatter or maybe the reduced recoil just helps me hit what I'm aiming at more consistantly. It is a very good hunting round!

Outdoor Marksman sells miwall ammo in bulk sometimes. If they have it in stock, it can be a pretty good buy especially when you look at all the 20 round boxes at the store selling for $20 or more each.

dakotashooter2

The last box of factory ammo I looked at was lead SWC and they were $25/50 at the time. That was probably 10 years ago. I cast my own bullets and load my own for $6-$8/50.

BigJimP

I've stayed away from the .41 mag just because its hard to find decent bullets for it ( Montana Gold doesn't make one ...for example ).

I think its an interesting caliber - but personally, I like the .357 mag and the .44 mag a lot on both sides of it. I've never been able to convince myself that a .41 mag should follow me home ..... ( plus I have a variety of .40S&W's and .45 acp on the semi-auto side as well ) so I've kind of got the .41 mag caliber surrounded. But I have been seeing a few really nice clean .41 Mags at the gun shows lately ......and they are hard to resist once in a while.

maikell77

That's exactly how I felt until I found a highly tuned mod 57-1 for a great price. It's a 4 inch barrel and one of the most accurate guns I've shot. It's absolute joy to shoot. I have a feeling I will be making a large purchase from dillon shortly to reload it and my 460 mag.