40 S&W

larryf1952

A little late to this thread, but I'll jump in. I've got 6 40's in my safe, from an old Star Firestar to a 1st Gen M&P. I've always liked the 40 and, unlike many folks, thought that it made a lot of sense.

I load the 155 grain Montana Gold JHP, which is light by 40 standards. So, here we have a bullet that is still heavier than the commonly used 147 grain 9mm bullet, exhibits a larger cross section, moving at 1100fps+. Coupled with decent capacity in a 9mm sized gun and performance that can stand with the 45 in most cases, what's not to like? I've never found the recoil or alleged "snappiness" to be a problem.

My first 40 was a Smith 4006 that I bought in '91, when the 40 was introduced. I still have that gun. I still dig those 3rd Gen Smiths. Along the way, I've added the aforementioned Firestar and M&P, a CZ75B, Taurus PT100, and an FNS-40. I've been trying to talk myself out of a Glock 23 (I shoot my G19 really well) for the past couple of months, but I may ultimately lose that battle.

I can't really see myself without a 40. The one that I'm shooting at the moment is my favorite.