.380 preference: Walther PPK vs. Sig P232

The Walther and SIG P230/232 are not that much different size wise to make a real difference,
What??? The size difference is substantial. The Sig is much larger. It is nearly a full inch taller (.9") and a full half inch longer. It is also about a quarter inch thicker. The comparable Sig is also heavier by about two ounces. :)

AK103K

The problem with numerical size differences is that they are somewhat deceptive in the real world. A quarter to a half inch here and there really isnt anything between similar models, especially if your using a good holster, but even if you dont. Short of wearing a "fitted" or snug shirt, I can, and do, easily hide my basically full size P229 and a double reload under a tee shirt, or another light untucked type shirt, all the time, so how does the minor difference between the smaller guns really matter? Using a proper holster, you should easily be able to hide either of them without issue. Even between the "full" and "compact" SIG's, and many other models, the only difference on paper is again, that quarter to half inch, and when you compare them in your hand or wear them, it really means nothing.

Unless your specifically looking for a heavier gun, why compare the SS version of the SIG? The alloy version is more desirable in that respect, especially if your carrying it in a place other than on your belt. Its not SIG's fault that Walther doesnt offer a lighter weight gun and something maybe Walther should address. I have to add that to Walthers shortcomings, not penalize SIG for it.

A quarter to a half inch here and there really isnt anything between similar models, especially if your using a good holster
Actually, I have found it to be just the opposite. An inch may not sound like much but when it comes to concealment it can make all the difference. :)

AK103K

Hey, I guess thats why we're all different. :)

Personally, I never understood carrying the little guns as a main gun (except in extreme instances), when its just as easy to carry them as a second and third line back up to the bigger one. I get nervous when I have to get dressed up where I cant wear my normal attire, (that usually requires contact with inlaws, the wifes coworkers, or some other torture) I'm worse than a woman tryin to pick out the right outfit. I gotta have at least one REAL gun along. Hey hon? Does this leave an unsightly, inappropriate bulge?:D

I never understood carrying the little guns as a main gun
One reason is speed and accuracy (I guess that is two reasons). I can get off two or three well placed .380 rounds in the time it takes me to recover my aim with a .44mag after the first shot. That way my first shot just has to hit the target and the follow up SA shot can hit where I need it to hit.

I would rather take someone down with two or three smaller bullets than I would wing him with a bigger one and give him the time to fire back. :)

PSP

The overall dimensions of the PPK Vs. the Sig show the PPK is not as long, but the Sig has a longer barrel. The PPK is shorter but carries less ammo. I believe the published width of the PPK is incorrect. Sig measures width at the widest part, which is the palm swell of the grip. If you measure the Walther PPK at it's widest part, the grip, the guns are almost identical. There is give and get in the size.

Owning both, (a PPK/S that is), I'm not sure the dimensions amount to a substantive difference. I do side with the "the Sig is lighter" camp because it is. The Sigs weigh 17.6 or 22.4 ounces with the mag, while Walther advertises 20.8 ounces without the mag. I my opinion Walther tries to play games with the numbers while Sig puts out more real world, real life measurements. I give Sig points for being honest and upfront. But that's just how I look at things.

They're still both good guns.

The Walther and the Sig weigh the same without the mags, but loaded the Sig is 2 oz. heavier. I assume you will be carrying it loaded.

Then lets not forget the Sig costs $300 more than the PPK.:)

AK103K

but loaded the Sig is 2 oz. heavier
you forgot to mention its the "heavier" SIG, whats the "lighter" Walther weigh again? :)

Then lets not forget the Sig costs $300 more than the PPK.
But whats the real world cost of the Walther to get it to be like the SIG? ;)

SIG..... Trigger Pull DA/SA 10.0 lbs/ 4.5 lbs (and smooth as butter I might add :) )

Walther.... Trigger Weight: 13.4 lbs./6 lbs.

Sounds like some extra work is needed right off.

I'll take your word on the reliability of the newer ones, if its a 90's era US gun, its getting more work done. Oh, and that little beavertail's gotta go.

And if you get one of the older guns, dont forget the cost of band aids for the time you have the gun. But you do get to share war stories and compare scars with other Walther fans. :)

SIG P232(alloy, the blued version) MSRP $629 Walther PPK(blued) $579 Whats the stainless PPK cost?

you forgot to mention its the "heavier" SIG, whats the "lighter" Walther weigh again?
Huh???
Sounds like some extra work is needed right off.
Maybe $25 if you cannot do it yourself. Hardly makes up for the added size or extra $300 cost. :)
SIG P232(alloy, the blued version) MSRP $629 Walther PPK(blued) $579 Whats the stainless PPK cost?
The MSRP of the stainless version of both guns are abou $300 apart. Both guns can be bought for less ut the margin remains pretty much the same.

Last edited:

AK103K

Huh hell, pay attention! :)

Maybe 425 if you cannot do it yourself. Hardly makes up for the added size or extra $300 cost.
Hmmm, isnt an additional $425 more than the supposed extra $300?

Just curious, but would you do the trigger job on a carry gun yourself?

The SS SIG also comes with night sights, so deduct an addition say, $150+ from your $300. So were really not all that far apart there either. I would think addding night sights to the Walther would be a bit more than $150.

I still cant find a SS PPK on their website, except the PPK/S with the Crimson Trace, Which has an $800 price tag.

Hey, since we're getting down to nit pickin now, shall we leave it at "pick what you like, you gotta live with it?" :)

FLA2760

As already stated both are a little large for pocket carry IMO. Both are good guns but I like the PPK. The Bond thing ya know.;)

VA9mm

I think I will be purchasing the Sig this week. I want a gun to carry when I don't feel like carrying a full size Beretta. Load it up with some DPX good to go.

I think I will be purchasing the Sig this week. I want a gun to carry when I don't feel like carrying a full size Beretta. Load it up with some DPX good to go.
You will like the P232. It is very nice and will be like carrying a pocket gun compared to the m92 from Beretta. :)

AK103K

Stainless is usually more easily scratched and marred up compared to carbon steel. I have had a number over the years and they usually soon get ugly due to daily handling, and need to be bead blasted every couple of years. Something that is easily done if you have access to a bead blaster and arent afraid to detail strip your gun to its smallest parts. Most dont, so they stay looking ugly, or worse, they try to clean them up with steel wool or a chore boy.

This P230 is around 15+ years old now. I got it off my neighbor about 14 years ago. He got it for his wife, who shot it a couple of times. When I got it, it was basically NIB. Paid $250 for it. (I also have a spare, got it used too, but it looks brand new, I paid $300 for it. :) ) Its pretty much been carried every day since, and the days it wasnt carried, it was at least handled. Its been in leather and kydex holsters, pockets, truck console and floor, just about everywhere. For what its been through over the years, I can pretty much guarantee that a SS gun would not look as nice.

Oh yea, thats yesterdays target. Mostly DA single shots with some double taps mixed in shot from an appendix carry holster at about ten yards. Accurate enough for you? :)

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

JimK66

PPK vs Sig P232

Man, the members are providing you with enough valuable info on both little fantastic pistols to make a reliable choice when you go to buy.
But, let me add that the sights are superior on the Sig and Bersa 380's. For me the sight difference between the Sig, Walther and Bersa was why I have the Sig P232 and Bersa Thunder. I sold the Walther PPK/S for that reason.
I now pocket carry the Ruger LCP and the bersa is generally under the front seat of the car. Before that I pocket carried the Colt Pony DAO and a M&P 9c under the front seat.
JimK
JimK

Stainless is usually more easily scratched and marred up compared to carbon steel. I have had a number over the years and they usually soon get ugly due to daily handling, and need to be bead blasted every couple of years. Something that is easily done if you have access to a bead blaster and arent afraid to detail strip your gun to its smallest parts. Most dont, so they stay looking ugly, or worse, they try to clean them up with steel wool or a chore boy
Oh c'mon, you are not going to try and say blued guns hold their looks better than stainless steel are you? Carbon steel might be a tiny bit harder but it also has a coating on it that starts wearng off the firsttime you shoot it. Stainless steel guns can look brand new after years of use simply with an occasional wipedown with a scouring pad. :)

David the Gnome

I've owned the stainless versions of both guns and the only one I still have is my PPK/s. :)

As has already been said, the P232 is just too large for a .380, especially when there are so many excellent compact 9mm's that are the same size or smaller.