380 pocket pistol recommendations

Mosin44az

SigKid,

Per my logs I had 5 malfunctions in the first 280 rounds, all failures to eject. 1 each with a variety of loads.

I usually run at least 100 rounds through before deciding that a defense load is reliable, and very frustratingly, the Max had FTEs on the 92nd round of Hornady American Gunner and 75th round of Ammo Inc. jhp, wasting my jhp money.

I started to think that Ruger had not designed the double stack mag properly, and started tracking the mags to see if they were the problem. At one point only one of the three I have was working perfectly. After that one ran for 130 rounds (mix Ammo Inc. jhp and PMC fmj) I started shooting with the “bad” mags, and lo and behold, they started running fine.

I have now gone 300 rounds without a malfunction, mostly running Ammo Inc. jhp and PMC fmj, so consider Max now reliable. Was able to pass 100 round test with Ammo Inc., on the second try.

Took awhile. 580 rounds total, with all FTEs during the first 280.

Bought my Max in May 2022, it took until September to consider it good.

Mosin44az

I should note that all my LCPs have the small finger extensions on the mags( I think they ship with at least one), and also have the Hogue wraparound rubber grip.

These add significantly to control and comfort when shooting, though recoil is still stiff. My original LCP would literally try to jump out of my hand without the pinkie extension on the mag.

603Country

I have a Bodyguard 380, and yes the trigger was not great. Had it replaced and all is well. Shoots pretty good. Perfect size for the pocket.

JasoninSD

I'm partial to the S&W Bodyguard 380 as well as the Kahr CT380. They both have long heavy double action trigger pulls, but I started out on double action revolvers so they feel fine to me. The Bodyguard is certainly smaller and should fit into any pocket. The Kahr is just slightly bigger but it is easier to shoot and will still fit in most pockets.

lowercase

This thread got me looking more at small .380s and I came across the Diamondback DB380. It's smaller and lighter than the original LCP, and only weighs 8.8 ounces.

I own 2 DB9s (4th Generation) and love them. Diamondback just released a 4th Generation DB380 that has some improvements (Glock 42 compatible sights and a better trigger).

The 4th Gen DB380s are so new that they don't yet have any reviews. I may get one just to see if they're any good. DB380s have had quality control problems in the past, but the later guns get much better reviews. My DB9s have been great, but the earlier ones had tons of problems too. In any case, I'm not too worried about having to send a gun back to be fixed. My LCP 2 required 2 trips back to Ruger before it would even make it through a magazine without malfunctioning.

Don P

Precisely why thats not an ideal choice for a "pocket pistol".
John Browning knew why an external hammer wasn't ideal......lint and debris

I disagree for the fact that there is a thing we call maintenance. Thats like saying that the good old external hammer gun that gets put in the old sock draw is bad because of lint and debris.

editingrv

While I wouldn't exactly give it a recommendation, I had a Bersa 380 for some time that never gave me a problem. Got rid of the caliber more than the gun. EDC is now a 1911 CCO in 45.

dogtown tom

Don P
Quote:
Precisely why thats not an ideal choice for a "pocket pistol".
John Browning knew why an external hammer wasn't ideal......lint and debris
I disagree for the fact that there is a thing we call maintenance. Thats like saying that the good old external hammer gun that gets put in the old sock draw is bad because of lint and debris.
Take it up with JMB.;)

wild cat mccane

I have owned them all but the PICO which has been all but officially discontied for 2 yrs. Want the pico bc of how thin.

Three of these guns have know internet hype that is just flat wrong though.

1 peeps say the kahr 380 is the smallest. It isnt. The butt of the kahr sticks out more than the lcp. The lcp is "longer" at the tang. I would take the tang over grip butt as being a better measure where the lcp wins. Plus the square profile made it the worst of all in my pocket. Sold mine for comfort and reliability probs.

2 the sigs pocket 380 and 9s have good triggers. I still have two SAS p938s, the nicest version....the triggers are honest horribly heavy. Bc they look like 1911s i think people just repeat how great the triggers are.

3 diamondback makes a reliable gun. They just don't. Not one of the versions (at 4 now) is just a cosmetic change. Db380 or db9. When you change a slide and rsa completely and have 4 plus mag follower designs? you've admitted a problem.

Cannot go wrong knowing that. I think the gen2 original lcp is the best of them all for the purpose. Otherwise it's p365 time. Meh

jar

Owned and shot lots of small .380s over the decades including most everything mentioned. Of the small ones I can shoot my Sig P230 the best consistently. But none of them are enjoyable to shoot and practice with.

Stepping up to a compact size I find quite a few really, really, really nice reliable, easy to maintain, easy to shoot accurately and repeatedly quickly, not quite pocket-able but relatively easy to conceal .360. The one I owned and shot the most (unfortunately given to a friend) was my Beretta 85, a single stack 380.

Today though there are three .380s I particularly like. All are more compact size than micro, IWB rather than pocket candidates. Lately it's been my S&W Shield 2.0 380EZ, a single stack 8 + 1 380 with a grip and thumb safety. As the name suggests, it is really, really, really easy to rack, field strip and shoot. I carry it using a Wes Dahl Privateer Leather Cutthroat holster.

The other two are also designed to be easy to rack, field strip, shoot and maintain. The Walther CCP M2 380 like the S&W 380EZ is a single stack 8 + 1 format. The other, the Ruger Security 380 Lite Rack is a double stack 10 + 1 or 15 + 1 format.

At 80+ I find I can still carry and shoot and maintain my all steel 1911s and my mostly steel 9mm full size and original compact size (S&W 469) pistols but the newer ones listed above are lighter, more enjoyable for all day carry and a whole bunch easier to rack.

Getting old is not for sissies but unfortunately it does have some real annoying attributes.

Cirdan

Had an LCP, with several problems. One had the little spring that holds the slide retention pin in place break so the pin kept working its way out. Ruger replaced it with a new gun.

In the end I dumped the LCP for the Sig P238. Much higher quality gun, and I've never had problems with it.

buck460XVR

I have been carrying a Kimber Micro .380 since they first came out. Very nice quality and a very good shooter.

micro_twotone_catpro.png

TailGator

I still have two SAS p938s, the nicest version....the triggers are honest horribly heavy. Bc they look like 1911s i think people just repeat how great the triggers are.

Odd. My wife and I both have P238s with good triggers. They are short and fairly crisp. The short throw makes them feel lighter than they actually measure, but I wouldn't describe them as "horribly heavy." I'm sorry, but I forget the exact measurement of trigger weight, but the numbers were moderate as I recall, like maybe in the five pound neighborhood? Ours shoot very nicely, including a trigger that does nothing to degrade practical accuracy. Not sure what is up with your P938s.

rodfac

I've had good success with S&W's Bodyguard380...carry it when I can't tote anything else. It's small enough to fit in most any pocket, even a shirt pocket. The gun's been very reliable with Federal and R-P ammunition. Rod

Prof Young

Kel tec p3aT

Yes, some consider it a "crap" gun, but I've found mine to be reliable and and accurate at close quarter use. And it truly is a pocket gun. Small enough to fit in just about any pocket. The one drawback for me is that you don't want to spend a lot of range time with it. Hard on the hand. I carry mine when the occasion calls for clothing in which nothing else can be concealed.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Loupgarou

I'm retired and almost invariably go around in cargo pants, which provide several large and/or convenient pockets for flashlight, pepper spray, small auto and spare magazine. So it's no chore for me to carry an all steel Beretta 85FS Cheetah. I like how it shoots and find the recoil very manageable. Also, I'm used to external hammer and thumb safety, particularly when it comes to pocket carry. With enough specific training, range practice and muscle memory buildup, this is an ideal carry for me. It alternates with my S&W J frame revolver. Old guy here, need I say more.
50378906416_5497363f6b_c.jpg

PSP

I have to say that a Beretta 85 would, in my opinion, be tough to carry in a pocket. The weight alone would be obvious, not to mention the size. Good for you if you carry this great gun but it just would be tough to conceal. I carried a 84f owb for many years myself.

The 85fs has an aluminium alloy frame. Only the slide is steel. The best grips I ever used were the "Indiana State Police" grips made by Farrar.

Hellcat1

I have to say that a Beretta 85 would, in my opinion, be tough to carry in a pocket. The weight alone would be obvious, not to mention the size. Good for you if you carry this great gun but it just would be tough to conceal. I carried a 84f owb for many years myself.

The 85fs has an aluminium alloy frame. Only the slide is steel. The best grips I ever used were the "Indiana State Police" grips made by Farrar.
You're right about the Indiana State Police grips. I really like mine:

full

Frank