380 Pocket Gun - which of these 3?

Jack Bauer

I can only speak for the LCP and the Bodyguard. Sold the LCP, still have the Bodyguard. I think the Bodyguard is a much more substantial pistol, feels better built to me, and has a much better trigger.

Mrgunsngear

I think the Bodyguard is a much more substantial pistol, feels better built to me, and has a much better trigger.

100% agreed. It also accepts aftermarket night sights....
IMG_1047_zpscf63711f.jpg

IMG_1046_zpsc8c495af.jpg

vito

The LCP is reliable, snappy, and very easy to conceal. I added a Crimson Trace laser which has made up for the lack of real sights. I don't think .380 is an ideal carry caliber, but if concealability is a prime criteria, I don't think you can do better than this little Ruger.

FloridaVeteran

Since ShootersPlus started it, I'll pipe in that I too like the Walther. Mine is a stainless PPK. It is a bit heavier than the other two, but the fit, finish, controls (easy for a leftie) and handling are all first-rate. Excellent natural point, though I wish I could have a Trijicon dot up front.

ZIA

All those guns are pretty good but personally I think the bodyguard's laser is overrated. In a self defense situation I just don't think it's practical to have a laser that isn't automatically activated when you grab the handle, it's just 1 more step that takes time before you pull the trigger - overall still a good gun. My personal favorite is the LCP, the sights aren't the best but they are plenty good for a close range self defense situation (which they almost always are).

9mm

Kel tech is junk, S&W body guard had major problems of dead triggers when it came out, rarely hear anything on those today, Bersa is good but too big. LCP is just right. LCP lays flat in a pocket(jeans)

Garycw

Kel tech is junk, S&W body guard had major problems of dead triggers when it came out, rarely hear anything on those today, Bersa is good but too big. LCP is just right. LCP lays flat in a pocket(jeans)

Agreed on the KelTec. The Ruger seemed like the grip was too short for my hand. Maybe a extended mag would help. The bodyguard was my favorite for looks and felt very good in the hand. The laser though was more of a novelty. There was too many things to get hung up on with the safety, slide catch etc. the TCP738 was the perfect compromise for me.

Sent from iPhone

amd6547

Walther PPK's are great pistols, but they are not pocket guns, at least for my pocket.
I have been carrying a KelTec P3AT now for close to a year. It is very unobtrusive, and has been reliable at the range. Certainly not "junk". Apparently, Ruger agrees as many believe LCP stands for "little copy pistol".

Garycw

ahyrytu9.jpg
The p3at may not be junk, just felt that way. I've even carried a Jennings JA22 which many may consider junk also, but I think I've only had a jam once in 20 yrs & maybe 500 rounds. I now carry a sig p238,PT745 & TCP738. The TCP gets the most use.

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:

bonefamily

Ruger has upgraded the LCP with taller sights and a slightly lighter trigger pull not too long ago. The newer ones don't have a "-" in the serial number sequence. I like mine.

Chris Van

Good reading here. I have been keeping my eyes out for an LCP and today I found a used P3AT for $265.00 and considered it but I immediately came to The Firing Line and did a search for the KelTec. And after reading this thread and a couple others I think I'll just hold out for the right deal on an LCP.

Bill DeShivs

I find it interesting that 9mm says "Keltec is junk" and then recommends the Ruger LCP which is a verbatim copy of the Keltec.
Everyone has opinions. Here is mine: Keltecs are innovative guns that do exactly what they were designed to do. I have 8 or 9 of them, and carry one daily.

vito

I have an LCP that I bought new for $260 then added a Crimson Trace. I use it with a Ramora pocket holster.

bonefamily

I never had a problem with the two Kel Tecs I owned. The P-32 is a very much missed pistol that I regret trading away. I found the LCP locally recently and jumped on it. I am now in search of a TCP as I think it will make another nice carry piece.

Darker Loaf

I've rented and fired the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard at a local range that is cool enough to have a rack of pistols to rent. I've also rented and fired a Kahr PM 9 (about the same size and weight as the Smith, but in 9mm). At the very same range, I got to shoot somebody's LC9, too. I own and carry a Kahr K9 Elite, and had a Kahr CW9 (same form factor, but polymer). Also, I've put some rounds through Diamond Back 9mm, too [not recommended--saw too many reliability issues].

So, I have some experience in firing some of these mouse guns, at least enough to throw that limited experience into the fray of the interwebs.

So, I'll proceed to compare them. The Smith BG was snappy, as snappy as the Kahr PM 9 or the LC9. Tiny .380's will buck as bad as 9mm, often, because .380's are straight blow-back, where as most center fire handguns have a delayed blow-back that slows down the transfer of energy to your hand. The Smith BG had a poor trigger and printed way high and right for me (probably poor trigger control on my part combined with a poor trigger), but printed consistently so maybe it was the gun. The LC9 also had a bad trigger, but better than the BG in my opinion. I had less problems fighting the trigger, and though chambered in 9mm, the LC9 did not have as severe a recoil as the BG in my opinion. The LC9 printed better for me than the Smith, but that could be because the form factor is larger. For my $0.02, lasers are silly on any gun, but that's me. The Kahr PM9 shot the best out of all of these, but kicked as bad as the Smith (because of it's 9mm chambering). That is due to the superior double action trigger that Kahrs have.

If I were your buddy, I'd get a Kahr P380, like Kilibreaux said. They are really light at 10 oz, and are only 0.75" at the slide. I've handled them before in stores, and their trigger really compares to other Kahr products. Last time I shot my K9 Elite, fired three times and all three bullets were touching (at 15 feet). However, my K9 is an all steel frame brick that wore out a 5.11 Trainer belt in six months of daily carry. So, I, myself, am considering buying a P380. I got my CW9 (the budget version of the P9, which is the plastic version of the K9) for $350 new. If you shop around, you could probably get the budget version of the P380, the CW380, for around the same price (once prices return to normal). Get a Crossbreed, horse leather holster, IWB, and you'll be good to go. Oh yeah, and even though it's a mouse gun: GET A GOOD BELT. I'm going to go with Kydex insert full-leather "Looper" belt for my next one.

Also nice, if you want simple, the P380/CW380 have no safeties. That's about as trim as you can get. If you prefer a safety, get an LCP or an LC380. That's my not-so-humble opinion at any rate. Kahrs are pretty reliable, in my opinion. My K9 Elite is one of two fire arms that I own that have experienced zero failures, but that's with only about 800 or so rounds through it. However, I had some issues with my CW9. But I've seen no issues with my friends' T9 and CW9. I'm an unlucky dude, in general.

I'd be perfectly happy to ramble more about Kahrs if you prod me.

Cheapshooter

Tiny .380's will buck as bad as 9mm, often, because .380's are straight blow-back, where as most center fire handguns have a delayed blow-back that slows down the transfer of energy to your hand.
The Kel Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP, and S&W Bodyguard are not straight blowback designs. They are locked-breach tilting barrel designs.
. If you prefer a safety, get an LCP
Nor does the LCP have a mechanical safety. Just a long, fairly heavy trigger pull like a D/A revolver

Darker Loaf

Re Cheapshooter

My bad on the 380 blow back vs. barrel tilt? You sure? The BG is snappy! I suspected the Sig P238 wasn't straight blow back, but the whole lot of them? I swear the Kahr PM9 wasn't as bad. The LC9 not being as bad makes a lot sense, extra mass and all. I guess I should have said "some .308's are straight blow back."

I've never handled a LCP, just an LC9. I'm surprised to learn they have a safety. At least the Bodyguard has one.

Now I feel like an ass, making silly non-truth comments on tfl.