35 Whelen

44 AMP

Staff
If you're looking into used left hand bolt guns on a budget, look and see if one of the older Savage 110s fills your needs. Assuming you can find one, of course. Left hand anythings are not common.

IF you do get a Savage 110, immediately begin the search for a spare replacement extractor. There's nothing wrong with the extractor, but it is small, and IF it fails, or somehow gets lost, your rifle is pretty much out of action. I needed one in the early 80s and it took a couple months to get one, then.

Left hand guns are niche items, sometimes they sell for more than the standard item, sometimes less, just to get them sold and not be a drag on the seller's market.

Good Luck!

Paul B.

There was an article in one of the gun rags where the writer was searching for the "most efficient" cartridge available. I forget what magazine and what cartridges he worked with but his conclusion was for the .35 Whelen. I thought about it some and read the article more than a few times looking for any flaws in his reasoning. Frankly, I found none. The cartridge is easy to load, accurate, uses a reasonable amount of propellent for reasonable results so what's not to like?
Recoils similar to the .338 Win. Mag.? I don't think so in rifles of equal weight. I have two rifles in .338 Win. Mag. and both literally beat me to death. Both are Winchester M70s BTW, one a post 64 pre 68 gun and the other a stainless classic. Both have good recoil pads. The earlier M70 weighs within ounces of my custom Mauser .35 Whelen and both rifle appear to fit me in the same manner. Recoil from the M70 is much more difficult to handle and the stainless classic is even worse as it it the lightest weight of the three even with 2" more barrel and a brake.
As far as ranging out yonder, my per load for my .35 is the 225 gr. Barnes TSX at 2710 FPS and based on range work I've done with is and 1 30-06 with 180 gr. bullets, trajectory is just about the same. I can and have taken elk to 350 yards with that load in the custom I have the Remigton in the .35, a Ruger M77 which has simialar. Recoil isn't much different that a hot loaded 220 gr. bullet from a Remington M700. I will agree that the Remington M700 in .35 Whelen is a bit snappy but also believe the rifle is about a pound too light to really be comfortable in the Whelen. I also have a Ruger M77 restocked with a Ramline that could use a slight weight gain but my custom Mauser which isn't more than about eight pounds really does appear to kick less. Even so, even M700 kicks me less that either .338 Mag.
I guess everyone should just go with whatever floats their boat.
Paul B.

stagpanther

If you're looking into used left hand bolt guns on a budget, look and see if one of the older Savage 110s fills your needs. Assuming you can find one, of course. Left hand anythings are not common.

IF you do get a Savage 110, immediately begin the search for a spare replacement extractor. There's nothing wrong with the extractor, but it is small, and IF it fails, or somehow gets lost, your rifle is pretty much out of action. I needed one in the early 80s and it took a couple months to get one, then.

Left hand guns are niche items, sometimes they sell for more than the standard item, sometimes less, just to get them sold and not be a drag on the seller's market.

Good Luck!
It's actually a teensie little blade that is held in place by a teensie ball bearing under tension from a teensie spring. Along with their infamous bottom bolt release, two of Savage's most annoying less than stellar engineering feats IMO.

stagpanther

I did check gun broker and buds and they both sell a single shot by traditions and CVA, in the 5 Whelen, but not the other two. and since I reload , that would be my choice
I just did a google search and couldn't believe I couldn't find a single new commercial bolt gun in 35 whelen--I guess the market has decided to deep-six it. Since CVA uses Bergara parts that's the way I'd go if staying single-shot.

ligonierbill

Well, it's 101 years old. From the time between the Great War and the Great Depression. Lots of classics were developed during that period (great for rifles, not so good for whiskey). But realistically, there are enough used rifles out there to supply us old farts. You won't see many new 300 Savage or 300 H&H rifles either. The good news is, while it's not exactly cheap, you can have most anything you want, and reloading industry will supply powder and shot. And hey, would you rather be packing a cartridge the calls itself 'Legend' or one that actually is one.

FrankenMauser

I believe the modern drop in sales of .35 Whelen is closely linked with the slow death of Remington.

Remington was the primary supplier of loaded ammunition, which they have not brought back. They also offered the M700 in the chambering on occasion, which they have not brought back.

H&R Handi-Rifles were, for 10+ years, the most popular seller with a .35 Whelen chamber. When Remington decided to kill that product line, it left (only?) CVA and TC in the single-shot .35 Whelen market - both of which were more expensive. CVA couldn't keep up with the low demand that they already had, let alone try to adjust for any possible increased demand.

Marlin had plans to chamber the XL7 in .35 Whelen, but H&R decided to sell itself (and Marlin). So that got delayed. Remington never picked up that ball, even when killing off the X7 and reintroducing it as the 783 under the Remington brand.

Now, Ruger owns Marlin but has no interest in building bolt guns under the name.
And PSA owns the H&R name, and has no interest in bringing back the single-shots.

MarkCO

You probably are at least mostly correct FrankenMauser. So too, the .260Rem is going to slowly die off for similar reasons.

The new cartridge's are more efficient and they don't have a "name" associated with them that is the competitions. More manufacturers are apt to chamber a cartridge devoid of their competitions branding.

The "market" for old, standard bores over .30 caliber has never been big to start with, and lever guns seem to hold more appeal in the over .30 caliber for the woods of the East. In the West, everyone seems to want a magnum for the Elk they never seem to be able to find closer than 700 yards. :)

HiBC

I used to have a 35 Whelen I built on an 03A3 bare action I bought at a gun show. (No milsurp rifle was harmed)
I really liked the rifle. I was using Speer 250 gr bullets and (IIRC) h-380
This was before I bought a chrono. Probably around 2600 + or -.

200 yd sight in and 300 yd practical range for myself. (You do you)

A darn useful hunting tool.

I think the introduction of better bullets took something away from the mid bores.
For elk,moose,bear, ( at least in our imaginations ) with common cup and core bullets larger bore and heavier bullets were more reliable for penetration.
As an Elmer Keith fan,I just had to build a 35 Whelen. And,it was "different".

But the bullet makers started bonding cores and making Swift A-frames and Nosler partitions and monolithic bullets. Bullet disintegration became less of an issue. In general terms, a 308 is enough to get about any North American game killed and trajectory wise,the 308 and 35 Whelen are reasonably close.

Sure,I think a 338-06 or a 35 Whelen would have a little more "Whomp" .

But are they a GREAT advantage over a 30-06? In 1962 I'd give it a "Probably so" Today? Not so much.

Love your 35 Whelen!! Great cartridge! But a 30-06 you can find ammo any place that sells ammo. You get a better trajectory. And with partitions,AccuBonds, Barnes,etc the bullet won't fail.

The niche/need has diminished. Today, you shoot a 35 Whelen because you want to. And thats good enough. It still works.

FrankenMauser

I miss .35 Whelen. I need to finish the project rifle, so I can enjoy it again.

In the West, everyone seems to want a magnum for the Elk they never seem to be able to find closer than 700 yards.
When you see a sweaty, overweight man with a scoped Browning BAR in .338 WM, you know you're looking at a man that usually harvests about 38 lbs of pre-ground meat from an elk, after expending every cartridge within reach (usually at least one full box).
:(

Though, times have changed a bit. Seems to be more of the chassis rifle, high speed / low drag type of shooters and rigs now.

But that's another subject...

MarkCO

I miss .35 Whelen. I need to finish the project rifle, so I can enjoy it again.

When you see a sweaty, overweight man with a scoped Browning BAR in .338 WM, you know you're looking at a man that usually harvests about 38 lbs of pre-ground meat from an elk, after expending every cartridge within reach (usually at least one full box).
:(

Though, times have changed a bit. Seems to be more of the chassis rifle, high speed / low drag type of shooters and rigs now.

But that's another subject...

I actually do Elk hunt with a .338-06. 39 Elk so far.

But yes, times have changed, and I am sad about it to be honest. I guess that makes me an old fart. But I've told the boys that after 60, no more bull tags, and I will be much more choosy about even cow tags...if I am even in CO then.

44 AMP

Staff
considering that the .35 Whelen survived about 60 years as a wildcat with no factory chambered rifles for it, I wouldn't close the lid on it just yet.

There are a number of chamberings that aren't produced constantly or every single year.

taylorce1

44 AMP said:
considering that the .35 Whelen survived about 60 years as a wildcat with no factory chambered rifles for it, I wouldn't close the lid on it just yet.

It also had a resurgence a few years back in single shot rifles with exposed hammers, as states like MS and LA allowed it for primitive season deer hunting.