.327 Magnum

nutty ned

Bought one in Feb, great gun and plenty of ammo avail here.
Only one prob with it and that was ammo related. Rem .32 S&W long rnd nose lead ammo leads the chamber very badly; however, fiocchi .32 S&W long
wadcutters do not.

Smaug

I've got a Remington rifle chambered in 6mm Remington. It is all but impossible to find ammo for it now. I think it is all new old stock.

Luckily, I've got brass, and it uses the same bullets as the popular 243 Winchester. Once I'm out of brass and can't find any more, that rifle becomes a paperweight. It will be frustrating.

I don't want it to happen to me again, so I'm sticking with the sure thing calibers that have already been around for decade after decade: 45 ACP, 9mm Luger, next rifle will be a 243 Winchester, etc.

32 H&R didn't make it. I'm not sure the 327 Federal will either. It doesn't seem to offer anything over a 38 Special +P except one more round in a small revolver's cylinder.

I'm skeptical, but I hope you guys don't get shafted out of a $500 gun when ammo dries up 5 years from now. :( To the reloaders, buy plenty of brass!

Last edited:

CraigC

That's not much of a comparison. You must not be looking very hard. Not to mention that you will always be able to form brass from .257Roberts or 7x57Mauser.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...3&categoryId=7959&categoryString=653***690***

It's also a rather lame excuse for not buying one. In the unlikely event that the .327 does go belly up you will still be able to use all the other shorter .32's in it. There are a whole hell of a lot of obscure cartridges out there that you can still find ammo and components for.

John Moses

I'm with you Smaug,

As we speak, I have guns that fire 8 different centerfire handgun cartridges and don't own a 44 magnum yet. That is on the list so that will get me to 9.

That is enough diversification for me.

Of course this is America and I support anyone's right to shoot whatever they want. Heck, I know a guy that shoots 41 Action Express. It is a good round but personally I don't think it is worth the trouble.

If 5 years from now it is growing in popularity, and I see some real life data, maybe then I will drink the kool aid. Right now I will stick with scotch.

Daryl

Hey fella, I'm new here but thought this thread was interesting.

I'm sort of interested in the .327 Federal, but not enough to go out and spend money on the first one I see.

I'm more interested in it as a small game cartridge for critters up to about the size of a coyote. It'd be just right for bumming around the desert in the form of a Single Six or maybe a new Vaquero sized handgun.

But I already have a SS in .32 H&R, and I can load up cartridges that come close to .327 spec's in that case, so I'm not in any hurry. It works pretty well for the same purpose.

For now, I'm watching from the sidelines to see what happens with this one. I think it has potential, but they'll need to expand the line-up a bit to really catch my interest.

BillCA

For the nay-sayers and doubters - the .327 does fill a much needed gap between the .38 Special and .357 Magnum. In purely muzzle energy, it's comparable to the .40 S&W and falls between the 9mm and .357 Magnum in power.

That's pretty doggone good for a small caliber gun that promises recoil low enough to make it suitable for smaller shooters.

This chart shows the muzzle energy comparisons.
327FedMagEnergy.jpg

Where the .327 really comes into an advantage is in urban and suburban defensive situation. Using an 85g to 115g bullet, even at up to 1400 fps, over-penetration should not be a serious problem.

This cartridge will certainly replace the old .32-20, a good performer for its size. It begs for a lightweight lever gun model too. If S&W would resurrect the Model 16 with a 5-inch barrel for use on a ranch or outdoors, it'd make a formidible coyote round. A 2.5 or 3-inch barrel with fixed sights on a K-Frame M&P would make a great carry/home gun too. Heck, resurrect the Airweight K-Frame Model 12 M&P and stuff it full of .327's and that'd be a dandy hiker/backpacker gun. With 4 types of ammo available, you could shoot anything from squirrel to coyote (perhaps even a wolf, but that would be in desperation I think).

Crosshair

Well, all I have are 32 H&Rs, but they are Rugers, so I hot-rod them. With the 327 you can get 357 trajectory with 38 special recoil. My 32 H&Rs are very fun at the range. Low recoil for extended shooting, flat shooting for when I am screwing around and plinking at the 50 and 100 yard plates. (Still working on the 100 yard plate. Need to have the front sight of my 32 H&R Single-Six worked on.)

I think the 327 will make it.

Sidetracked

Your chart shows the versatility of the .357 mag since it encompasses what the 327 offers.

A good observation, and something that can't really be argued.

But, if you don't want the .357 Mag... it doesn't do you any good. I want the .327 Federal for what it is.

The .357 serves different purposes in my arsenal.

Smaug

BillCA, thanks for that excellent energy chart.

I'm with John Moses here, not that it matters, hehehe. It also shows the versatility of 45 ACP.

I agree that this could be sweet in a nice carbine of some sort.

I bet the cowboy/girl shooters would really eat it up.

Smaug

BillCA, do you have a chart like that which also includes 380 ACP, 10mm, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt and 454 Casull? (I'm thinking you made it yourself, so you may have others on hand...)

gak

I've heard some here talk about how Ruger (and perhaps Federal) is being smart in its little playing-hard-to-get game. If that's their tactic, it's being foolish and ultimately risks market anger and dis-interest...a really dumb thing to do IMO with a new round/firearms supposedly Ruger and Federal would like to drum up interest in. Yes, some of us are salivating at the prospects of a SP101 and, hopefully some single actions and Smith Js/Ks down the line, as well as some levers mentioned (the idea of a .327 in a Rossichestersport 92 can really get me salivating), etc.

This is a heck of a way to keep market interest. I'm a big .32 Mag fan and have several guns in...but I was a relatively rare and stubborn (some said foolishly over the years) hold-out through their (and ammo manufacturers) stumbling around - and not marketing very well in the 80s and 90s...to the point of near-total disinterest in the gun-buying public. Somehow, my interest remained strong as I saw the greatness of the little round that could...even in the relatively mild factory loadings they were supposedly sticking to over time as an acknowledgment of some of the crappy - or let's say at least weaker - H&Rs lingering (Colt's felt that a long time re factory loadings for their SAAs). In this case, it's time for Ruger and Federal to really knock it out of the park, now that they've stepped up to the plate (sort of). Again, just my .02.

sandbag

I don't think a Model 12 Airweight can handle the chamber pressure generated by a .327 Federal Magnum-I have a Model 12 and it is not recommended to even shoot .38+p in it.I have the SP101 in .327 and I also have three .357's(Python,19,28)-I'm not prejudiced:D

Sidetracked

if you don't want the .357 Mag... it doesn't do you any good.

Not trying to be recalcitrant but why would you not want a .357?

I grew tired of the muzzle blast, violent recoil, and ear-shattering report of the .357 Mag. (Yes, I use hearing protection; but I also hunted with it.) I still own one K frame S&W in .357, but it is only used for .38 Special plinking.

If I have a legitimate use in mind (Hunting, target practice, Home Defense, personal defense), I always find myself reaching for something else. From bottom to top, it could be anything from .380 ACP, to 9mm, to 10mm, to .44 Special/Mag, to .45 ACP.

The .357 Mag cartridge is a wonderful thing. I will not deny that. However, I want to give the .327 a try. Muzzle blast and an ear-shattering report may come with the package, but it's something else to throw in the line-up or leave on the nightstand. It will also give me .40 S&W/10mm power in a revolver, without using (half)moon clips.

The .357 serves different purposes in my arsenal.

Which is?

At one time, I had 4 S&Ws chambered in .357 Mag. I used to hunt with them. I used to carry them as SD guns while hiking. I used to do a lot of things with them. Now, the only survivor is basically a paper weight that stretches its legs to plink a few times a year; if it's lucky.

And, back to your first question:
Not trying to be recalcitrant but why would you not want a .357?

Why would you not want a .416 Rigby? Why would you not want a .257 Roberts or a 7mm-08? Why would you not want a .25-20? Who, in their right mind, would not want a .30-06?
It is all a matter of personal preference, experience, and application.

I own several .22 LRs, a .22 WMR, a .22 Hornet, a .223 Rem, a .220 Swift, a .243 Win., and a .270 Win. just for my 'small' caliber rifle line up. They can be stretched, or loaded down to cover anything I hunt or shoot; with varmints being covered pretty heavilly by the mid-range of that spread. I won't even get started on how each rifle also has its own combination of stock, scope, trigger, barrel dimenions, rifling, chamber tolerances, and weight, which also contribute to how the rifles are used. Many people ask why I own XX caliber when I already have XX. It's not just a cartridge. The design of the rifles themselves contributes immensely to how that cartridge performs. It's the total package.

When I look at a cartridge or firearm, I'm not just looking blindly at a ballistics chart, or the design of the weapon itself. I'm looking at how everything will work together.

For me, it's the total package. The SP101 .327 Federal is a package I want. And, I probably wouldn't mind trying it in a 7.5" Redhawk, either.

John Moses

sidetracked

Thank you for the well thought out response. And please do not misunderstand...I like guns. Big guns, little guns. Elephant guns. mini guns, miniguns, shotguns. You name it.

If this is your caliber I am glad it came along.

My query concerning why you would want this caliber when it would be easier to load down a .357 was from my perspective, which hinges upon versatility. Some folks don't "roll their own" and therefore have to tolerate the blast and recoil of whatever is available in their local stores.

Of course some people like to have the more unique round. I know 41 magnum guys. Great round but takes extra effort to support. They seem to LIKE the fact that they have to scramble around for brass and get to complain when they have problems.

What I am saying is that it is not my intention to put down on anyone’s choice. Just like to understand.

BIGR

Being that I have two S & W's in 357 I don't think I am going to rush out and by some new caliber just yet. Just like the new caliber frenzy of rifles, these new calibers don't do much more than the calibers thats already here and that have proven themselves over the years. Maybe Ruger thought 327 sounded neat like the chevy 327 small block engine. Don't get me wrong if I didn't already have two 357's and was looking to purchase a new revolver, then I would give the .327 a try.

gak

These are all good responses - and questions. As an ardent .32 H&R Mag fan (and .357, .40, .45, etc), I too am looking forward to the new-ish upstart...and judging from early reports (Gunblast, etc.) looking forward to it flourishing. Especially since I don't load (maybe "should" but don't at the moment), I too find the .357 - when shot in mag form in most of its "mag" loadings - to be pretty (and unnecessarily for most duty) obnoxious in the blast department "at the wrong end" (while acknowledging results at the "right end")....and so welcome any alternatives to try out, even if they are not exactly apples and apples in all respects. 6 rounds in a package that normally accepts only 5 (or 7 in a normal 6 rounder) is always a good thing to me, especially when the approximate, practical results for the mission are at least similar. Even so, I understand (and fully appreciate) the versatility the .357 package represents as well and will keep my Ks and Blackhawk/New Vaqueros in that cartridge for the goodness they represent. It's just that - when something slightly smaller with less sturm und drang comes along, especially in the carry/SD or pest/varminting categories, gotta look at it!