327 Magnum questions

Hammer It

I've always said that the .327 magnum would die unless S&W introduced a revolver for it. Now I read rumors that there will be one from S&W in 2009. Let's wait and see.

Hello Don
I hope you are correct and if it does show up in a K-FrameTarget Version I will gladly add one to my current .32 caliber stable of S&W revolvers. I am very fond of this round due to it's true accuracy it beats the .38 Special any day and those that have Not hand loaded for it do not know the true Potential of it. I am currently working on a Load for my Pre-16 K-32 that exceeds 1100 FPS and is showing no signs of case stretch, or other signs of straining my K-32 Masterpiece. Below are a few of my Favorite .32 caliber S&W's and I am Hoping S&W turn's out a K-Frame target revolver in the .327 magnum very soon so I could fill a Hole in my .32 adiction.. Hammer It

1925 I-Frame Regulation Police revolver in .32 S&W Long

PICT0013-2.jpg

Pre-30 Snub Circa 1958 in .32 S&W Long

30-12.jpg

Pre-30 3" Four Screw Circa 1955 in .32 S&W Long

Pre-304.jpg

Model 631 Lady Smith Circa 1996 In .32 H&R Magnum

DSCF6166.jpg

Pre-16 The K-32 Masterpiece in .32 S&W Long Circa 1951

Pre-16Withtargets.jpg

Model 16-4 Grandson to The K-32 In .32 H&R Magnum Circa 1986

DSCF5795.jpg

cens

Hammer It, those are fine looking pieces of art. Do you actually shoot any of them? I'd be afraid to.

Chris

Smaug

mega twin said:
Maybe four power levels or different cartridges,but the different factory loadings for the 38/357 gun can definitely account for more power variations than the cartidges mentioned for the .32 caliber guns,I think.

Wrong. The two earlier 32 S&W cartridges are both less powerful than a regular old 38 Special. The 32 Magnum is about on par, I believe, maybe a little stronger. 327 Magnum is a good bit more powerful than 38 Special, and even more than 38+P. Not quite up to 357 Magnum power levels, especially the hotter ones. But many of us have found that 357 is too much to be enjoyable. (effective as it is) 38 Special, 38+P, 44 Special, and 45 ACP are about as heavy as one should do for human defense.

I guess maybe it is more fair to say they have about an equal factory load range, with the 32s being shifted more towards the low power range and 38/357 being more towards the high power range?

Of course to a handloader, 357 is going to be much more versatile than the 32s. But this can be said of 44s vs. 357s and 45s vs. 44s also.

Hammer It

Hammer It, those are fine looking pieces of art. Do you actually shoot any of them? I'd be afraid to.

Chris

Hello Chris
Thank you Cris for the compliments, I appreciate it. I have Fired all of them shown, but I backed off shooting the 1925 Regulation Police Revolver when I found out it was carried and owned by Harry Anderson the Evansville, Indiana Police Chief back in the Late 1920's. The Pre-30 3" Revolver is a Nightstand Gun and I fired it a few times but have retired it. The rest see range duty Often including my Pre-16 K-32 Masterpiece which I really enjoy shooting. Here is some more Pictures of Old Harrys gun and him self. Can you Imagaine chassing the bad Guys that were around back in the late 1920's-1930 time span like Al Capone, Baby Face Nelson, Bonnie and Clyde and ECT with a 3-1/4" Barreled revolver chambered in .32 S&W Long cartridge ? I later Learned that the reason for the 3-1/4" Odd barrel length is because Old Harry carried it in a flap holster strong side while riding a motorcycle.. After I got it, I Contacted The Evansville, Indiana Police Department and asked them to Forward anything they could about Harry Anderson. Here is what I got in return from them. You never know where a Used gun has been or who owned it and the best part is the price I gave for this revolver which was $210.00 from the second owner of it. Hammer It

PICT0016b-1.jpg

PICT0012c-1.jpg

Chief_Harry_AndersonMA19859342-0001.jpg

Here is the historical information on Harry Anderson with the Evansville Police Department. He served as Chief from 1926 to 1928.

If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know.

Sgt.Richard Hubbard

In March 1926, Nolte was hospitalized with a nervous breakdown and voluntarily took a demotion to detective, stepping down as chief in favor of Harry Anderson on March 29, 1926. Nolte continued as a member of the department until his retirement in 1931. Nolte died in 1933. Nolte's 3-month term as chief was the shortest in the history of the police department.

Harry Anderson

Harry Anderson, the 23rd chief of police, was born in Warrick County. He became active in the Republican Party. He joined the department on November 24, 1916. Prior to joining the department, Anderson worked as a bartender. He was promoted to motorcycleman on January 7, 1918. Anderson was a member of the Evansville Police Relief Association committee that published the book "A Souvenir History of the Evansville Police Department" in 1918.

In 1919, Anderson resigned and became a car salesman. In January 1921, County Clerk Frank Grange appointed Anderson a deputy in the county clerk's office. When the Republicans took control of city hall in January 1926 Mayor Herbert Males appointed William Nolte as his choice to replace Democrat-appointed Ira Wiltshire in the chief's position. After 3 months in the chief's office, Nolte suffered a nervous breakdown and took a voluntary demotion to detective. Anderson returned to the police department after an absence of 7 years as Mayor Males's choice to replace Nolte in the chief's position.

Anderson remained Chief of Police for 33 months. The City Council launched impeachment proceedings against Chief Anderson, License Inspector Benjamin Bartlett, and members of the Board of Public Safety in September 1928. In the 1928 county elections, he was elected county clerk. In late December 1928, Anderson submitted his resignation as chief. The text of Chief Anderson's letter of resignation read as follows:

"Honorable Herbert Males and Board of Safety. Having been elected Clerk of the Vanderburgh Circuit Court the past election and as this term of office begins January first, I hereby tender my resignation as superintendent of the police department to take effect January 1, 1929."

Chief of Detectives Edward Sutheimer was appointed to fill the chief's position for the remaining year of Mayor Males' administration

When Anderson resigned, he had served a total of 6 years as a member of the police department. The department's 8-year experiment with a mounted patrol began in 1927 during Chief Anderson's administration. Anderson ran for county clerk again in the election of 1932. The Roosevelt-Democratic landslide of 1932 buried Anderson, like his fellow Republicans. After losing the election, he returned to the trade that he had practiced before joining the police department in 1916, working as a bartender. In 1935, Anderson became a milkman. Later in life, he bought a dairy farm in Warrick County. After failing to make that enterprise profitable, he sold it. Anderson then moved back to Evansville, living at 209 First Avenue. He was appointed a Vanderburgh County deputy sheriff. He served as a guard at the Evansville Waterworks during World War II. In 1945 he moved to 26 East Chandler. He died on December 12, 1946. His wife's name was Bertha and he had one brother whom lived in California.

I learned from this Harry Had a brother in California and I assume the Son of his Brother is who got a hold of his Police revolver and later sold it off to the guy I bought it from.I Dug a Little deeper by contacting The Evnasville, Indiana Public Library, and a woman there sent me the Pictures of Harry below and his Obituary that she tracked down in the old files they had. I have hit a brick wall as far as learning any more about Harry Anderson since then, but hope to hear more in the future from the woman in the Public Library who is still searching for information on him.Below is a Picture of Harry when he was first made Chief of The Evansville, Indiana Police force. He was also in charge of their Motorcycle brigade an experiment they were trying using Motorcycles to answer calls with, as before this, all calls were answered on Bicycles. We have to remember this was around 1926 so I assume the Motorcycles used were either Harley Davidson's or Indian's.The Police department is also shown in the Pictures below and you can see Horses were still used in that time frame. I can't believe just how much harry had done in such a short life span as at the age of 55 Poor Old Harry's Heart gave out and he Passed on

Harry_Anderson_1946.jpg

Smaug

Hammer it, that is a neat story. I think the only way you're going to find out more is to dig a bit into geneology. It will become more work or more money, one of the two.

It would be SUPER neat if you could find grandkids or great grandkids and sell the gun to them. (If they are the right kind of people) Ask them to sign something giving you right of first refusal if they decide to sell it.

ilbob

IMO it is mostly a marketing thing. About its only real claim to fame is being about to have 6 rounds in an SP rather than 5. Big deal.

Ballistically it is interesting, but it provides nothing a 357 cannot, and a 357 will always be able to out perform it. The claim of less recoil than an "equivalent" 357 is a plus, but unless there are guns out there for people to shoot, so they can experience it, that won't matter.

Unless more gun and ammo makers start supporting it, it will be just a curiosity in a few years.

I do think it might make an interesting lever gun.

Arabia

I have not been following the introduction of the 327 Mag, but after reading up on it, let say I am underwhelmed. The round uses a .312 bullet not a 327, which makes me believe that Federal ATK, is trying to make it something it is not.This round does not come close to the energies of a .40SW, or a .357 Mag. It is closer to a 9mm+P with the same bullet weight. Then their is no real benefit for using 32 H&R Mag, and .32 S&W in the revolver, since those rounds are expensive, hard to find and offer nothing over the .327 Mag itself. At least with a .357 Mag one can use the common .38 Sp which is great for people who are recoil sensitive. Personally I don't believe this round is going anywhere, since it brings nothing new to the table, but then I have been wrong before about the 204 Ruger. Now I own one. :D

PoiDog

I'm interested in buying one, but they're scarce. Even a large gun store outside Chicago which carries just about everything doesn't have any.

They don't have any LCPs either, can't keep them in stock.

Hammer It

Cens wrote Hammer It, those are fine looking pieces of art. Do you actually shoot any of them? I'd be afraid to.Chris

Hello Chris
In a Conversation with the Previous owner of Harry Andersons Regulation Police revolver, He revealed to me that it was swapped to him by Harry's Nephew. Evidently Old Harry was Busy Fighting Ctime as He never had any children so following up on a Genological Search would Not reveal any Kids of his. I was told that the Nephew could care Less about this historic Piece, so that Road would Only be a Dead End. I am sure if Old Harry was alive he would be pleased to know his daily Police carry Piece was in the hands of someone that appreciates it and will take care of it along with the Information that goes along with it ro be shared with Others Interested in it. Here is an Official Police Uniform patch and Tie tack sent to me By Sergeant Rick Hubbard of The Evansville, Indiana Poilce department who furnished me with all the Pertinent Information about Harry Anderson and his Life accomplishments I also Located a set of Factory large style Target grips for it that I use when shooting it. The Regulation Police model is the Only revolver S&W made a rebated backstrap on to make the revolver Look Like a square butt configuration. The Internals of this revolver were as clean as the day it left S&W Back in 1925... Hammer It

PICT0004b.jpg

PICT0009-1.jpg

PICT0016a.jpg

PICT0011b.jpg

DSCF1138.jpg

DSCF1128.jpg

barryhud

Ruger 101 in 327

I walked into a gun shop in Springfield Mo in Aug and they had the 327 and I bought it. The more I shoot it, the better I like it. Fiocchi wad cutters for plinking, $14.79 for 50, American Eagle 100 gram, 1500 fps and 500 ft lbs, has some recoil. I may be getting some bigger rubber grips to make it a little more comfortable to shoot. I can shoot a 6'' pattern at 25 yards off hand and thats as good as I can do with my other short hand guns. From what I read they rate it better than .38, 9mm, or 40mm but less than the 357.

pesta2

The Ruger reps response was that the single six frame could not withstand the pressure of the .327

Ruger excuse.

Bowen is doing it.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/Projects.htm#.327_Federal_Magnum_Cartidge

For reasons known only to the fine folks at Sturm, Ruger & Company, the .327 has ended up in their small double-action SP-101 rather than in the Single-Six. While the SP-101 is a hardy little double-action gun, many of us really, really wanted to see the gun in a small single action. The .327 will work fine in a slightly longer cylinder body section with virtually no other modifications. The walls and webs of the factory .32 H&R cylinder are thicker than many .357 Magnums so there is no reason to go to a more costly and complicated 5-shot part.

Projec2.327%20Single-Sizes.jpg

Last edited:

CraigC

It is a wonderful cartridge with a lot of potential that is currently being squandered. Couple the low availability of guns with the standard-issue negative attitude of most shooters towards anything new and you have with we have here. A great new cartridge that will probably fail and do so strictly because of poor marketing and ****suckers.

barryhud

negative posts

I'm with Craig C. why all the negativity, if you haven't owned the gun and can not believe the favorable posts by current owners, you only want to badmouth something you have no experience with. I have the Ruger LCP and the Ruger 101 in 327 cal. and really like them both. Every gun doesn't have to be a Smith or a Colt and I have some of both.

Doc Alamo

I talked with S&W customer service this morning about sending in one of my revolvers and we got to talking about the .327 Magnum. He said in 2009 that S&W would most like introduce one in this caliber. He also said they were going to expand their Night Guard line to include a .41 Mag. Sounds very interesting.

We shall see. There was one at a gun show in Houston this weekend (Ruger and Charter Arms) and they ammo dealer had plenty of .327 ammo in all three flavors. I ALMOST bought one, but decided to wait and see if S&W comes out with one in 2009 ... might be glad I waited. This is the first time I have seen one in the Houston area!! I would definitely buy one if it were a Smith.

Dr. Bill

BillCA

Okay... for all those naysayers out there, let's start with the ballistics. Specifically the energy produced by the .327 Magnum. Remember, the .327 Magnum's figures are measured out of a Ruger 3-1/16" barrel vs. a 4" barrel for most other calibers.

327Energy.jpg

We can see here that the .327 Federal Magnum's energy is nearly identical to the .40 S&W cartridge. That's pretty impressive considering we're talking a 100-115g bullet vs. a 165-185g bullet.

We can also see that it outperforms 9mm and 9mm+P (both are include in the 9mm figures). In fact, it beats the .45 ACP, but not the .45 ACP +P in energy delivery.

The 32 L-Mag designation combines the .32 Long and .32 H&R Magnum loads for comparison.

Facts:
The .327 F-M produces between 370 and 500 ft-lbs
The .40 S&W produces between 372 and 500 ft-lbs

This chart is based on published data using Speer, Federal, Remington, UMC, Winchester, Win-USA ballistics data.

Given the energy produced and using a good expanding bullet -- three are available: Federal's 85g JHP, a 100g JSP and Speer's 115 Gold Dot HP - performance should be excellent. Until we see some performance results from critter hunts, we won't know exactly how it performs.

I'll let someone who knows the .32-20 chime in and tell us how close it compares to the hi-speed round. :cool:

Smaug

Excellent chart Bill. Puts things in perspective. Is 38+P included in the 38 bar too?

One thing I noticed is that between 38 Special and 357 Magnum, it covers an enormous range. From ~150 ft.-lbs. to over 600 ft.-lbs. And those are just factory loads.

327 Magnum isn't going to cover the same range, but the range will start lower. (including the other 32 caliber cartridges that work in the gun)

44 Magnum would be like 38/357 except shifted upwards in energy delivered. This kind of chart makes us handloaders drool.

laytonj1

Facts:
The .327 F-M produces between 370 and 500 ft-lbs

Hmmm...

The numbers below are from 3-1/16" barrels.
• PD327HS1 H: Federal Premium 85-gr Hydra-Shok™ JHP
(1330 fps muzzle velocity in 3-1/16” barrel)
• AE327: American Eagle® 100-gr SP
(1400 fps muzzle velocity in 3-1/16” barrel)
• 23914 : Speer 115-gr Gold Dot® HP
(1300 fps muzzle velocity in 3-1/16” barrel)

So you don't have to do the math....
Energy Levels
PD327HS1H: 85gr @1330 = 334 ft-lbs
AE327: 100-grain @1400 = 435 ft-lbs
23914: 115-grain @1300 = 432 ft-lbs

The higher numbers listed (federal 100 gr. 1500 fps, Speer 115gr. 1380 fps) are from longer pressure test barrels which make a big difference.

Jim

Last edited:

Sgt.Fathead

I've got (6) different SPs and among them the .327 Magnum, purchased out of curiosity and now my dear wife's favorite handgun at the range. With either the .327 Mag ( a little tough to find) or her preferred .32 longs, she can blaze away much longer than she could with the S&W Model 60 3" I got her, using either .38 Specials or .357s.

It's a handy little gun and as others have posted, the caliber has many merits and the gun is well made and dependable, like all the Rugers I have. Naysayers go elsewhere, many Ruger owners are pleased with this piece.