327 Magnum questions

cslinger

What is ammo availability like. Is this new round dead on the vine or will it take hold?

I am normally pretty traditional in my caliber selections but there is something about a six shot SP101 in this caliber that tugs at me. Educate me please

pesta2

At the recent local Gun Show this past weekend. I viewed 3 Ruger LCP. I have yet to see a .327 Mag anyplace. Since their new most popular firearm right now is the LCP I doubt if they are really rushing anything with the .327. Putting on my Armchair marketing hat, I think Ruger should have chambered there single six in the .327. I also think a big mistake of theirs was not making a 5 chamber Blackhawk for the .480 Ruger, now it is dead and gone.

Kreyzhorse

DOA in my opinion. I've read some posts that ammo is available in some places, but its more or less a pretty rare occurance. Ruger's SP .327 is even more rare. I was a Ruger Factory sale and even the Ruger rep admitted he can't get one.

I think the only real hope for this cartridge is if other firearm makers start producing guns chambered for it and other than Charter Arms, I'm just not sure that is going to happen.

laytonj1

I saw one at a local gun shop. He wanted $439 for it. I checked it out and I'm not really sure what purpose it's supposed to fill. A 3" SP101 with the small .32 holes is a little on the heavy side and the longer barrel makes it less usefull as a pocket gun. The adjustable for windage only sights don't make for a good target gun either.
He had ammo but it was over a buck a round.

Jim

Smaug

The shame of it is that it does not currently have enough support to be successful.

The guns are hard to find, and the ammo is also hard to find. That is NOT the way to launch a new caliber. But then again, maybe this is the choice of the folks who are purchasing the guns & ammo for the stores, and not the ammo or gun manufacturers themselves.

I was pretty closed-minded at first, but it seems to have a lot going for it: High energy, but low recoil, extra capacity.

I may have actually turned around 180° and bought my SP-101 in 327 Magnum instead of 357, but guess what? None of my local stores had ammo or guns in the caliber.

A few more guns chambered in that caliber wouldn't hurt either. Like a Single Six, Marlin 336, etc. One member here made a good point about it being a good field cartridge, but no "field guns" are chambered for it. It can & will succeed, if it is given proper support. It just seems like it has been kind of a half-hearted launch effort.

batmann

I think is DOA unless S&W chambers a 'J' frame for it. IMHO, Ruger should have chambered the round in the Single Six frame. It has some interesting possibilities as a woods gun for someone who wants just little bit more than a .22.

cens

I toyed with the idea of getting an SP101 in .327 when I saw one at a local shop, but decided to stick with my .357 version. The round seems like a good idea, but I don't want to end up with a paperweight revolver.

Chris

abber

I would never buy one. The .357 is a good ol friend that ain't goin anywhere. What could you possibly get from this caliber that a .357/.38 won't give you?

In all fairness, I must admit I've never shot any .32 cal. I just know how much I love the .357 Mag. Besides, every time I fall for a new caliber, It costs me a fortune. You guys know what I mean, the guns, the dies, the shellholders, a stock of new brass, more books if need be, etc etc....*SIGH* So many calibers, and so little time.......

Last edited:

Smaug

abber, this has been gone over many times in many threads now.

The 327 delivers energies notably higher than 38+P, with a lot less recoil than 357 Magnum.

Whether it is for you or not is a personal decision. Whether it is enough of an open niche, the market will decide, but it is definitely leaning towards no, thanks to not very much support from the mfrs. or retailers.

don95sml

I've always said that the .327 magnum would die unless S&W introduced a revolver for it. Now I read rumors that there will be one from S&W in 2009. Let's wait and see.

STAGE 2

What could you possibly get from this caliber that a .357/.38 won't give you?

Six rounds in stead of five. The ability to shoot 4 different calibers that range from plinking to a serious defensive load. Something that myself and my wife can shoot with no problems.

Its not everyone's cup of tea, but show me a single gun that is. I'd own one today if ruger would get off its fat arse and certify one for california.

mega twin

four calbers?

Maybe four power levels or different cartridges,but the different factory loadings for the 38/357 gun can definitely account for more power variations than the cartidges mentioned for the .32 caliber guns,I think.

laytonj1

but it is definitely leaning towards no, thanks to not very much support from the mfrs. or retailers.
Just a thought but.... How many people actually have 327's on order? And I mean more then a dozen or so on the forums. If folks were pounding on thier retailers counters asking for them then the retailers would be ordering them and Ruger would be making them. After all, they are in the gunmaking business to make money. But, after all the recent failed attempts to launch new calibers I think the gunmakers don't want a bunch of unsold guns laying around. So, if not many folks are ordering....

Jim

SteelyNirvana

One of the gun magazines (It was either GUNS or American handgunner) had an article a few issues ago and one of there staffers ask if the .327 would ever be offered in a single six. The Ruger reps response was that the single six frame could not withstand the pressure of the .327 . I too, like some of you wish Ruger would offer this in a single action. I can see it now, 6" barrel faux ivory grips and stainless steel.:D Damn, that would be one sexy looking gun. I think it also would be a good idea if Marlin would chamber it for a lever action. Like a 336 frame with an 18" barrel. That would be cool also. So if I were all of you, I wouldn't declare it DOA just yet, just give them [Ruger and Federal] a little more time to get the ball rolling.

Sarvisian

I'm on board with it and love mine. The round is a real powerhouse and lots of fun with such little recoil. An extra round and the ability to fire .32 shorts, longs, H&R's and the .327 make for a very versatile gun. I've got about two hundred cases now so I'll be reloading for mine just like I do with the .32H&R. If folks would support it, it'll be around for good. The supposed response from the Ruger rep on the Single-Six not being able to handle it is bogus, there have been a lot of custom Single-Sixes converted without one complaint so far.

HoraceHogsnort

Somebody makes a 115gr. cartridge that launches from that short barrel at 1300 fps. That's ballistically identical to the 9mm +P load that has proven to be a very good BG stopper. For us folk that'd really prefer to carry a revolver, this gun provides a lot of stopping power in a small package and the recoil reportedly is very manageable. As much as I like my snubbie Model 66 I'm think'n the .327 mag. might carry better and follow up shots might just be quicker and more accurate. Time will tell but I think rumours of it's demise are premature.

gak

Let's wait and see and not pronounce it dead yet. Taurus has chambered in. Here's a +1 hoping S&W will also--I agree that's important to its ultimate marketability. I'd like not only to see it in a 6 shot J, but also perhaps 7 or 8 (?) shot K frame 2 and 3" configuration! Ditto the comment about the Single Six frame not being strong enough as bogus. Clements, Horton and such I'm sure would beg to differ. But Ruger does need to provide the SP in a one-notch shorter barrel (as an option) -- and actually push it and the stores actually order it -- and a Single Six, perhaps even a .32-20/.327 (and thus all the other .32s...) convertible in the New Vaquero. A 4-3/8" or shorter (Montado?) in that would be just dandy! As a round, have heard nothing but great things.

BillCA

I do think the .327 Mag has some good potential.

I'm also afraid that Ruger will screw it up and waste it.

The .327 round has much to recommend it. Energy similar to a .40 S&W, light recoil, carryable guns, ability to use lighter cartridges and a Gold Dot cartridge (115g GHDP).

For those bragging on the ability of their .357 SP-101's do do the same job, remember that not everyone can handle the .357 Magnum cartridge. Especially an effective load.

People of smaller stature, our senior citizens and some disabled folks need a gun that is powerful enough without the intimidating recoil and blast. I think the .327 may be just the right balance.

Personally, I think the higher (40,000+ psi) pressure cartridge will prevent us from seeing it in a J-frame S&W. But I could see it fitting nicely into a Scandium Airweight K-frame based on the Model 10. With a 2" or 3" barrel it's a CCW gun. With a 4-5" barrel it's a lightweight backpacker's gun with enough power for coyotes.