.32 S&W ammo Question

Sevens

I also would not consider .32 ACP in a modern J-frame S&W 30/31 as unsafe, but for any manner of defense I would wholeheartedly suggest that it is a -BAD- idea.

The .32 Auto case is semi-rimmed (like a .38 Super) and it will sit nicely in the cylinder but it will -NOT- play nicely with the ejector. You can almost count on at least one of the five empties being "missed" by the ejector and once that empty is nestled under that ejector, getting it out under even the mildest stress is irrationally difficult.

For range play, give it a shot... You'll likely notice very early in the session how prevalent the problem is.

Also, to be sure, regardless of what we think AND what we know, doing this ABSOLUTELY goes well outside the bounds of SAAMI. In these forums, that usually carries an "official" warning.

carguychris

Sevens said:
The .32 Auto case is semi-rimmed (like a .38 Super) and it will sit nicely in the cylinder but it will -NOT- play nicely with the ejector. You can almost count on at least one of the five empties being "missed" by the ejector and once that empty is nestled under that ejector, getting it out under even the mildest stress is irrationally difficult.
Additionally, I'm convinced that a similar problem is the reason I've found several old S&W .32 Hand Ejectors with broken or bent prongs in the ejector star; I believe that one of the cases got stuck in the chamber, and the ejector then jumped over the undersize .32 Auto case rim, causing a lot of extra stress, and/or the shooter unwisely tried to wedge the ejector back under the skipped case rather than punching it out from the front of the cylinder with a tool.

.32 S&W Long is NOT that hard to find if you look around, and prices are generally comparable to .32 Auto. IMHO the problem is shooters who are too ignorant or lazy to shop anywhere but big-box stores like Walmart and Academy Sports, and I'd sincerely hope that TFL'ers don't fit this description. :)

Last edited:

McShooty

If you must use factory ammo, the wadcutters will work best. The Fiocchi and LaPua perform about the same, but the Fiocchi is much cheaper. The Federal 98-gr WC is better than either, giving uniform velocities 700 - 750 fps depending on gun. Federal is also pricey.

For an SD handload, 3.4 gr of Unique or Universal Clays will push a 95 gr semiwadcutter at about 1000 fps from a 4" bbl.. This load is perfectly safe in a solid frame Smith, best being the Model 30 or 31.

Most all factory round nose ammo is sad stuff. Velocity is low with large spreads and standard deviations.

The wadcutter is a workable design for small game and self defense, if you must. Much better if you can handload to a level of 800 -900 fps.

tranders

I have fired Remington 32 acp in my Model 30 with zero malfunctions and no ill effects. Now it's not something I make a habit out of but will work in a pinch

Yeah, if it's the apocalypse and I've run out of ammo for my AR's and other pistols and I'm down to my last ancient pistol and a box of 32 ACP's....but I'd be tempted to just throw the things rather than shoot them through an old gun designated for 32 S&W Long....for reasons noted by James K. and Sevens.

carguychris

McShooty said:
...the wadcutters will work best. The Fiocchi and LaPua perform about the same, but the Fiocchi is much cheaper.
Is this the ammo that's sold in red boxes labeled ".32 WAD CUTTER" (two words)?

I saw some of this at a LGS once and was stumped as to the caliber until I opened the box and saw the ".32 S&WL" headstamps.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have seen quite a few guns made for the .32 S&W (not Long) that would chamber and fire .32 ACP; in an emergency, it might be better to throw the gun and hope your opponent tries to use it.

Jim

SHR970

carguychris: I believe you are referring to this: 32 WC . Yes this is what we are talking about when we are referring to the wad cutter loads.

As stated before, this stuff is made for guns such as the Walther GSP and Hammerli SP20 , P240, P280 target guns.
Edit to add: The velocity of the WC ammo is held to around 750fps for these pistols, their design perameters, and the intended use.

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

For all this talk of .32acp use in an emergency, what kind of emergency are we talking about here? If you have .32acp lying around, don't you have a gun specifically chambered for it?

James K

Member In Memoriam
The reason is the old search for pistols that can be used in center fire matches that have less recoil than the .38 Special; for that use, .32 S&W Long proved very good and as SHR970 said, some very high quality auto pistols have been made in Europe for that caliber. The .32 S&W Long never caught on in this country, though I have known several target shooters that used it in an auto pistol, and one who used a K-32 to good effect. For target shooting, of course, wad cutters are preferred, and some of those auto pistol magazines won;t accept the round nose bullet load.

Jim

CaptainO

I own two .32 Longs

One S&W "I" frame and one Taurus (made in Brazil, not Florida) from the original S&W tooling sold to Taurus during the late 1970's to early 1980's.

The Taurus is a robust 3" barreled, nickel-plated revolver in excellent condition. This would handle the buffalo Bore ammunition with consummate ease, delivering .380 ACP power backing a .312" diameter bullet. I wouldn't hesitate to use it against a human attacker, because it should do the job.

The Buffalo Bore might overstress the older 1904-vintage Smith & Wesson revolver, but should/would shoot quite admirably in my 2" barreled S&W "Centennial" (shrouded hammer) aluminum-framed, .32 H&R Magnum chambered, six shooter.

Scott

saleen322

I agree with the 32 in high end target pistols. I have 2 Benellis and a FAS. The wadcutters though not so much. Those bullets are fragile and you get even in the higher 700 fps range you can blow the bases off.

billcarey

Good luck getting much bullet expansion with a wad cutter at the 32 Long's velocity. For self defense I'd use the round nose and go for penetration. I shoot both in my vintage 32 S&Ws 3" & 4".

FITASC

With the right load, 32 SWL is cheaper to shoot than .22 and depending on the gun, can be loaded warm enough with the right bullet to do the job. Let's remember that folks used 25 and 32 calibers for SD for a long time with great success.

Onward Allusion

Magtech, Fiocchi, Remington, Buffalo Bore, Winchester, Federal, Aguila, & probably a good number more that I haven't listed here manufactures 32 S&W Long. Most any modern revolver chambered in 32 S&W Long in decent condition can fire 32 ACP in a pinch. Would I do it on a regular basis? Nope. Yes, the pressure generated by the 32 ACP is higher than the 32 SWL, but the bore diameter of 32 SWL is .313 - .314. When you shoot 32 ACP out of something chambered for 32 SWL, you can actually hear a POP instead of a BANG.

FrankenMauser

Although I've been trying to get my hands on an I-frame or a Colt for a long time, I still don't have one. So, my experience is limited to using the smaller .32 caliber cartridges in revolvers chambered for .327 Federal.

In my opinion, the wadcutter loads would be the best option for potential defensive usage.
Velocity won't be high with any factory loads, and I'm not going to recommend anything from Buffalo Bore, so you might as well go with the soft lead projectile with a gigantic caliber-sized meplat.

I base this opinion solely on informal testing that used at least two dozen loads in .32 Auto, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and the "Magnums"; and primarily employed pumpkins, water bottles, a roast beef sandwich, and several hundred potatoes as the test media. ;)

Come on, FrankenMauser! You're falling behind!

Here's my I frame Regulation Police...

409858444.jpg

And my Colt Police Positive

406077753.jpg

Lots of fun to shoot...