.32 S&W ammo Question

44 AMP

Staff
A friend called last night, one of his coworkers has inherited a S&W (either a model 30 or 31?), says its chambered for the .32 S&W Long.

The owner is apparently considering using it as a carry gun. So, my friend asks,

#1 Do they still make .32 S&W Long ammo?

#2 What would be the "best" .32 S&W Long ammo for personal defense??

The only .32 I have experience with is the .32ACP, so, I'm passing on the questions to you here...

(PLEASE, do NOT BOTHER writing about how inadequate the .32 is for defense, don't waste your time telling how other calibers are better. WE KNOW THAT. The .32 is what the guy has, and what we need to know about.)

Thanks!

RJay

Yes, they still make the S&W Long. Which to use, I don't think it makes any difference with factory ammo, Those little I frames are neat little guns.

TJH3781

IIRC, Buffalo Bore sells 32 S&W Ammo that is a little hotter than other manufacturer's products.

I do not know if it is rated for an I Frame, but should be OK in a J Frame.

Goatwhiskers

Factory ammo is a lead RN, 98gr IIRC. If the owner "needs" a gun, it's far better to use what's available than to be still quibbling about lethality when that "need" arises. If nothing else it'll buy you time to get to a bigger gun. GW

carguychris

TJH3781 said:
IIRC, Buffalo Bore sells 32 S&W Ammo that is a little hotter than other manufacturer's products.
As I write this, Buffalo Bore offers two .32 S&W Long loads, and info can be found at THIS LINK.
TJH3781 said:
I do not know if it is rated for an I Frame, but should be OK in a J Frame.
Here's what Buffalo Bore's disclaimer says:
This ammunition is safe to use in ANY solid frame revolver that is in ordinary shooting condition. “Solid frame” means any revolver that is not a top break frame.
The S&W M30/M31 is obviously solid frame, regardless of which of the two frames the particular gun is built on.

As a footnote, the J frame versions have a reputation as very stout little guns; although I don't personally endorse these practices as I don't have firsthand knowledge, there are quite a few M30s and M31s floating around that have been converted to .32 H&R Magnum, and a number of handloaders have reportedly pushed the limits of the .32 Long cartridge well beyond what's in the load manuals without apparent damage. I would not hesitate to fire the Buffalo Bore ammo in these guns.

2damnold4this

This isn't any sort of scientific measurement but from shooting armadillos with a .32L, it seems that the full wadcutters did more damage than the lrn.

kilimanjaro

You'll have some success finding ammo in smaller shops without an internet presence.

It's scarce enough, not to be concerned about which is best, just get what can be got, for now.

If it's a carry gun now, which is perfectly fine, the owner should be running at least 250 rounds through it by year's end.

tallball

Mine is from 1911 or 1912. It is a fun little gun and fairly accurate.

Most gun stores, in my experience, have something in 32 long ammo. Even some sporting goods stores.

TimSr

I'm impressed at current ammo selection. A few years back (okay 20) about all you could find was LRN. I would get that LWC ammo is not loaded down for this round like it is for .38. I also see that Buffalo Bore has - 100 gr. Hardcast Wadcutter 900fps and that would be my choice. Iim not one who has much faith in low velocity hollow points working right.

I have an old box of LRN Remington that i can't find somebody witha gun to shoot them. My friend bought them 15 years ago by accident for his 32acp.

Bill DeShivs

Your friend might try this:
Most of these guns will shoot .32 acp just fine. The .32 acp is actually a hotter round than the .32 S&W long.
Try the acp round, and if it functions well in the gun, it's perfectly safe to use.

Cosmodragoon

I got a good deal on a huge quantity of these a while back and they've been great on bottles and cans. :p I don't know how much expansion should be expected in SD-type targets but even with none, the geometry is better than LRN. One overlooked benefit of S&W Long, especially with a longer barrel, is lower recoil and less ear-shattering noise. That said, I actually load them in my nightstand gun. :eek:

Magtech Sport Ammunition 32 S&W Long 98 Grain Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point

As you could guess, these are a little less powerful than the Buffalo Bore stuff. Even if they say it's okay and even if it really is, I don't like pushing the limits on old guns.

hartcreek

You reload 44 AMP. Have him buy what ever foctory stuff he can for cases and then load up some carry ammo for him. I load .32 S&W and .32 H&R and with my reloads even in my top break I would not be concerned about my SD loads doing their job.

ThomasT

I reload for my 32 S&W longs and get 850fps from a 2" barrel and a 94 gr bullet. All my guns are the solid frame models 30 and 31.

I have posted this before. Read the last paragraph. The shooter in this case most likely used factory ammo at around 700-750 fps and got the job done with it. I love my 32 revolvers.

http://www.gunblast.com/WBell_SW32s.htm

And don't bother with 32acp ammo. Even if it goes off the bullets are way under sized for the throats of the cylinder and the barrel. They will make noise though if thats all you are interested in.

JERRYS.

magtech makes a hollow point in this caliber. one good thing is any in spec ammo will be safe in your gun.

James K

Member In Memoriam
By SAAMI specs, the .32 ACP bullet is a tad smaller than that of the .32 S&W Long. The reason I don't like to suggest use of .32 ACP in a revolver chambered for the older revolver cartridges is that it runs 5500-6500 CUP higher pressure; while the S&W double actions should have no problem, there are a lot of old .32 revolvers that will not be happy with that extra pressure.

Jim

SHR970

I would go with in order
S&B 100 Gr. RNFP - Best blend of velocity and weight
Buffalo Bore 115 gr. HC-FP - Very Good blend of velocity and weight.
Buffalo Bore 100 gr. HC-WC - Very Good blend of velocity and weight

Lapua or Fiocchi WC -
Federal 98 gr. WC-
These are for 32 S&W target pistols which are usually semi auto. They will be very consistent and the soft lead might expand a little. You sacrifice some velocity vs. standard ammo and thus energy.

HP ammo like the Magtech product will either barely or just won't expand at the velocities you will get.

32 ACP will work in a pinch but ironically 32 ACP and the S&W long with standard factory loadings produce pretty much the same energy.