$3000 heirloom investment

Skans

So, I would pick something that speaks to you and speaks of you.

All of my guns "speak" to me! It would be really difficult for me to pick just one to be an "heirloom". I suppose it would probably be my AC556. Full autos are already as rare as hen's teeth. 50 years from now, I hate to think what it would be like.

WC145

If it's to be an "heirloom" the eventual value shouldn't matter as it would not be sold. A true heirloom is handed down from generation to generation and, as has been pointed out, the value lies in it's personal/emotional importance to whomever is destined to receive it.

I have guns that my father gave me when I was a kid 35, 40+ years ago. I've shot them with my sons, they're not expensive but they have meaning and my boys will shoot them with their boys and so on.

I have a number of custom 1911s and revolvers that I've had built or that I have bought that I carried on duty, use in competition, or carried off duty and for protection. My boys have seen me carry and use these guns, they know the history behind the builds or the gunsmiths. I also have long guns that hunt with and use in competition. There is an attachment to dad's guns.

I bought a Hi Power for my youngest to use to shoot action pistol with me. He used it for a year, I'm retiring it and replacing it with a new CZ P-09 and gear when he turns 14 in a couple of weeks. He'll be shooting this gun until he's old enough to buy one for himself.

My father's guns were stolen during an armed robbery when I was a teenager. Since then he's been very picky about what he's bought and carried, generally buying guns that mean something to him. My boys know this and understand the importance of the guns he's acquired since the robbery.

All of these are/will be heirloom guns. Some cost a couple of hundred dollars, some cost several thousand. The common thread, the thing that transcends cost/value/worth is the importance of them to the individuals that own them and that will eventually receive them. IMO, if you want an "heirloom" gun, buy something you really like and want to shoot in competition or hunt with or carry for self defense, something you're going to use. Then use it with whomever you intend to leave it to. Teach them how to shoot with it, take them hunting, compete together. Give that gun some meaning beyond "I bought this because it was expensive, that's it's legacy".

Another route to consider is buying a gun for the person directly, start the heirloom's legacy with them. I have a Colt Commander being customized for my oldest son to commemorate his accomplishments in the military and earning his way into special operations. It is being specially engraved for him. His grandfather has had leather gear made to go with it. It is a gun that he will cherish, enjoy, carry, shoot, and compete with for years to come. Eventually he will hand it down to his child, who will know it as dad's Colt that grandpa and great grandpa gave him special. It will be a gun with a story, a life of it's own, that will be part of the fabric of our family history.

It's not an heirloom because you bought it. It's an heirloom because of how you used it.

Last edited: