$3000 heirloom investment

Bucksnort1

Dashunde,

I would suggest a 1911 made by Singer during the war. In 1987-ish, the Blue Book of Gun Values listed it at about $5,000.

Jim Watson

Heirloom status is in the heir's estimation.

Get what YOU like and let it be an heirloom because it was Dad's Gun (watch, fountain pen, etc.), not because you planned it out.

Original Colt SAA. Seems every cowboy movie makes them popular again.
Colt Python. I don't understand the mystique as they were very common in my youth.
NFA selective fire (they never seem to go down). I don't know the status of a trust, but with a trust you don't have to keep paying $200 for a stamp every time someone dies and a new heir steps up to the plate.

Remember that somewhere down the line there could be some stupid doper who sees, "Grand dad's gun can be converted to drug $$$." :(

603Country

I suppose I'm happy that a Python has gotten valuable. It and a 22 LR Colt Diamondback are about all I have that have become valuable. I bought each for about $350, but because I wanted them and not because they'd gain a bunch of value. I won't sell them.

What I do fear is that my rifles, pistols, and expensive woodworking hand tools will wind up being sold at a yard sale for $5 each once I'm dead and gone.

Back to the Python for a moment. I think "The Walking Dead" had a lot to do with the surge in value. Even teenagers recognize it. My oldest Granddaughter loves shooting it, but didn't realize what it was until she posted a picture on FB of her banging away with it. All her teen guy friends and FB buddies went wild over it, knowing quite well what it was. Naturally, that made her want to shoot it more.

kilimanjaro

603Country, I don't know about the $5 price, but last month I bought a Nikon F2 camera with Nikon zoom lens, for $100 at an estate sale. The camera bag and lens filters alone were worth several hundred dollars. The lens cost $3,000 new.

But, the problem the heirs had with it was, it was attached to a film camera and wasn't a little point-n-shoot autofocus thing.

So you're going to take that risk, I guess. Maybe it's better to gift them one gun apiece and then sell the rest on, let the collectors and devotees get the enjoyment out them.

Ricklin

Not enough $$$$$$$$$

5 K is pretty close to the price of entry, that will get you a Sten or similar.

I like to 'look' or window shop the NFA world. I have not taken the plunge however.

I know that if I do I could end up down on the freeway off ramp.....with a sign that says will work for ammo.

NoSecondBest

Guns are a poor investment. No one who has accumulated any wealth did it by investing in guns. If you want an expensive gun to shoot, just buy one and shoot it. If you're thinking this is a way to accumulate money....forget it. Yes, you might get your money back over time but I'd hardly consider three thousand dollars my lifes investment or even a significant part of it. Just buy the gun if you want it. Trying to justify it by thinking of it as a place to put your money is not a good financial idea.

Sevens

I would agree ^ but I really, REALLY don't think that is what he's attempting to accomplish at all. He's not hoping to retire or build wealth for a project here. He wants to spend a little lump of money (more than many of us typically would) and in the end, have something worthy of passing to heirs.

To the subject of "investing" or profiting over the long term in guns, you need a crystal ball. You need to buy something you can afford, that is extremely well made, that develops a cult-like following, but disappears from production EARLY with relatively few made, leaving demand for it irrational.

Now, if you can find a few of those, throw "investment" kind of money at them and you can win. Otherwise... erase your credit card debt, pay down the mortgage, build a portfolio and leave the gun investments for the folks who have time machines and/or unlimited funds for playtime.

If I were buying an heirloom gun I would buy a rifle that was as general use as possible. At this moment, the Big Horn Armory 460 SW rifle would be close to the top. I have a feeling the 460 SW will dominate large bore handguns for a long time and there probably won't be another lever-gun produced for the cartridge. The 460 SW out of a rifle barrel should do pretty much everything I NEED a rifle to do. The fit and finish is pretty high and the design is old enough the kinks should be worked out. If the company folds it might be very valuable. Parts would likely be hard to come by in that case. As I understand it, sales are significantly exceeding their expectations at this point.

buck460XVR

Including the word "heirloom" in the title says the OP is looking for something that will stay in the family and become a treasure to those that would inherit it. Like Great Grandma's wedding ring or that ugly Jade Peacock Broach Great Aunt Marge brought back from Japan before WWII. Again, what I have found with how this relates to firearms is not just the resale value, but the emotional attachment to the firearm by family members. Most of the time those firearms with emotional attachment get passed on to grandsons, those with high resale value only get sold for the grandson's college tuition. Take the grandson shooting with a firearm and give it to him personally, odds are he will keep it and pass it on to his son/grandson, regardless of it's monetary worth. Buy a Safe Queen, and will it to him without that emotional attachment and odds are he will sell it, hopefully for more monies than you paid for it. That's the difference between a simple investment and a heirloom.

aarondhgraham

I changed my mind,,,

I ad originally posted for a double-rifle,,,
But as someone pointed out,,,
That's way beyond 3,000.

So I gave it some thought,,,
And I came up with a better choice.

A Smith & Wesson Model 45.

It's the .22 LR version of a model 10,,,
Not a lot were made so they are a bit rare.

Back in 2009 there was a very clean specimen on gunbroker,,,
I could have done a "Buy It Now" and had it for $900.00,,,
But I hesitated and someone else bought as I waffled.

I could get a nicer specimen right today for $2,500.00,,,
It will only go up in value (as an heirloom should),,,
And I get to play with it while it appreciates. ;)

Aarond

Sevens

I had to laugh at the the ugly Jade Peacock broach. :p
Most of the time those firearms with emotional attachment get passed on to grandsons, those with high resale value only get sold for the grandson's college tuition. Take the grandson shooting with a firearm and give it to him personally, odds are he will keep it and pass it on to his son/grandson, regardless of it's monetary worth.
True story... my FFL took in a 1919 Colt 1911. SN 603xxx for those who know these by SN. It was brought in by a guy in his early 20's, belonged to his Grandfather, he just got it and he wanted a "Colt Rail Gun" like he uses in Call of Duty. That story is 100% true and it's one of the few incoming guns my FFL friend had to make his own and not simply put in the case.

And yes, both guys in the store tried to talk the kid down from this idea.

FFL kept it for a while and even shot it and carried it to some of our org's functions, but did later sell it in the store.

No word on whether or not 20-something kid and Grandpa used to spend long weekends playing Call of Doodie or not... :confused::mad:

buck460XVR

True story... my FFL took in a 1919 Colt 1911. SN 603xxx for those who know these by SN. It was brought in by a guy in his early 20's, belonged to his Grandfather, he just got it and he wanted a "Colt Rail Gun" like he uses in Call of Duty. That story is 100% true and it's one of the few incoming guns my FFL friend had to make his own and not simply put in the case.

And yes, both guys in the store tried to talk the kid down from this idea.

IMHO, This is a prime example of a gun passed down without emotional attachment. Odds are it sat in Gramps sock drawer and the kid only caught a glimpse of it occasionally, if at all. Easy to take to a gun store and get something else. Only interest in it was how much it's worth. Had the kid had fond memories of him and gramps shooting it together, things probably would have been different.

Coogs

Guns are a poor investment? Are you kidding? Well, ok, maybe what you buy today, but, I've been buying guns since the mid 60's. What I have, mostly shooters, but a lot of NIB collectors stuff, even if I sell them at some "priced to move prices" I expect to see a minimum of 25% ROI. Hell of a lot better than any CD and definitely not as risky as the stock market. And if the poop ever hits the fan, my guns will be more valuable than any gold or silver. JMHO, Coogs

Coogs

By the way,3000.00 investment for something to shoot? For between 2-3000.00 you can buy a nice Ruger hawkeye to shoot. They turn heads at the range and are a lot of fun. .256 Win mag in a single shoot, 'bout 3' flame out the end of barrel each shot. That's where I'd go, but.................I already got one. Coogs.