$3000 heirloom investment

Dashunde

If you had three thousand bucks to spare on a heirloom gun that you wanted to shoot sometimes, what would you buy?

I was kicking around getting a 1911, but I wonder if it would appreciate in value?
Maybe an old one? But I have no idea what to look for in a old 1911.

Maybe a AR-10 or other rifle? Ideas?

I sold Gramps really nice Champion boat and might parlay some of the funds into something nice that I could pass down.

Scorch

Very few collectible guns are the type you would shoot occasionally. Since condition of the firearm is everything, and since shooting a collectible devalues it, it is pretty much mutually exclusive. I once knew a gentleman who inherited a NIB pre-war Winchester 94 that had been appraised at $4000. He decided he wanted to take it out and fire it, just a few rounds to see what it would be like, then clean it and put it up for sale. When he tried to sell it, he could not get the $4000 he was told it was worth and was sure people were trying to cheat him. He finally sold it for $1200. That shooting session had cost him $2800.

surveyor

Something I would enjoy owning, and not be overly concerned with the hit it would take being fired.

Id like to have a olympic arms westerner, they always appealed to me.
olympic-westerner.gif

Last edited:

kilimanjaro

I would buy 2 or 3 really nice Lugers that I could shoot and not ruin the value, and shoot them. Take good care of them and they will still be heirlooms and hold their value appreciation well.

I might just shoot one of them.

mag1911

Replaced parts could make a $3000 "old 1911" purchase worth only $1500, or less. Buy from a very reputable source if you go that route.

JimmyR

If I were intentionally buying a pistol that I intended to be an heirloom, I would either buy something that is already very rare (Colt Python, etc.) or a pistol of very high quality from a reputable maker that you believe will be phased out or replaced with an inferior model, such as possibly one of the special edition Sig 226s (like the Mk 25 or X-5) or a stainless steel Beretta 92 or CZ 75B. If you choose to "gamble" on a current production gun. then with your budget you can pick 2 or 3 possibilities. If you go for a gun that is currently very rare, then you bank on the demand staying high enough to command a high price.

That said, I have 2 heirloom pistols- a Beretta Minx 950B and a S&W Regulation Police- both are shooter grade pistols, but they hold immeasurable value to me because they belonged to my father, who died a few years ago. The guns that you love, that you carry, that your children see you carry and use, those are the true heirloom guns. They will be the guns passed down, not because of their value, but because of their connection to you.

Sevens

Haha, Pythons are CRAZY valuable, but unless you have an oddball scarce variation, we have to leave "rare" out of it. They made them from the mid-50's thru the 1990's, to the tune of half a million.

The Python craze actually makes me smile. It's hilarious to me and cannot possibly upset me because my desire to have one is nil. Fun to look at as I walk by though!

$3,000 for an heirloom gun? I have to agree with the above. Investment is a fine idea but forget about actually shooting it.

mcb66

1911s may take a hit in the near future. Supposed be a bunch of mil surps released. The snake guns are a fad. WAY too many of them in the population to support the current values. Investment grade Shotguns are probably a safe bet. Folks with money like to bird hunt and trap shoot. They also like to show off their recent purchases. This wont change anytime soon. Classic Colt sixguns that haven't been tampered or monkeyed with are probably safe as are old 5 screw S&Ws. Just a few ideas.....

Heirloom, investment, and shoot occasionally are not really terms that go well together as indicated by Scorch.

A single gun is not much of an "investment" if you are talking about financial security at such a small amount. You won't find many financial advisors suggesting you ad guns to your portfolio.

Buying a quality gun to shoot is a fine idea.

Buying a quality gun to pass down to the next generation or two is a good idea. There is something special about saying, "My dad taught me to shoot with this gun" or "I took my first deer with my father's rifle and now I am taking my son/daughter to try to get their first deer." Such guns will have value beyond dollars.

aarondhgraham

I would go all safari on that,,,

And get a double-rifle in a manageable caliber.

Perhaps a bit of engraving as well.

Nothing says heirloom like engraving on a quality firearm.

Aarond

FITASC

And get a double-rifle in a manageable caliber.

Perhaps a bit of engraving as well.

Nothing says heirloom like engraving on a quality firearm.

Aarond

A rifle of that sort, especially with engraving will need at least an additional number in the mix.............
http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...double-o-u-rifle-375-h-h.cfm?gun_id=100569023

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...le-458-winchester-magnum.cfm?gun_id=100649599

In the $3000 range, another possibility is buy a Colt 1911 and have one of the notable custom folks do their magic and make it nice looking to boot. That way it is more of a one-of-a-kind.

Dashunde

Heirloom, investment, and shoot occasionally are not really terms that go well together

I'm thinking a older gun that's already been fired, so a few more from me wont be noticed.

This isn't a financial safety net gun, just something that wont ever be deemed worthless or ammo supply dries up (like maybe a the case with a 5.7 someday)

I dont need to spend the entire $3k, maybe just a nice DW Valor would do the trick.
If its not heavily worn, the assumption is that in 20 years it should be worth what I paid now because new guns then will cost way more than now.
Same for a nice M1, AR-10 or even the FNAR.. particularly if the Brady Bunch sorts gather steam again.

fwiw... I'm also looking at things like an Omega or Tag Heuer watch.

After WWII Gramps only had one gun cause he figured he should have at least one, guess he had enough shooting. And he didnt like 1911's or watches much at all... said he couldnt hit anything with a 1911 and only wore a watch when he had to.
So either of those items seems a odd tribute/heirloom item.

jmohme

I personally will not own a firearm that I will not fire. I will not buy a car and not drive it and my wife won't even put fancy hand towels in the guest bathroom because someone (me) will use them.

As far as collectors guns, I have a deep appreciation for things with historical significance.
I recently aquirred a M1 Garand and a nice Columbian contract FN49. Neither of them are museum pieces and if they were, I probably would not own them because I have every intention of using both of them.

But to me, heirloom firearms need to have a personal connection.
My fathers Smith & Wesson service revolver from his service in the Air Force during the Korean war. My father in laws Police Service Six and his over and under shotgun.
These are the true heirloom firearms in my safe, and yes, they get used.

As far as firearms as an investment goes, I don't go there.
Who knows what any firearm is going to be worth in the future? Beside that, The stroke of a liberal Presidents pen could put your investment in serious risk.

kilimanjaro

Just one smart gun law and selling anything not smart could be illegal.

We can't even get the definition of an Antique firearm to bump from 1898 to 1918, no way anything gets grandfathered.

buck460XVR

But to me, heirloom firearms need to have a personal connection.

This is my experience. I go to many estate auctions, especially where guns are involved. I see more family members bidding against each other and paying exorbitant prices for dad's/gramp's old 30-30 or model 97 shotgun that they watched him shoot and they may have grown up shooting, than dad's/gramp's never shot LNIB Revolvers. Those, they just sit back and hope the bids keep coming while they count their money.

As for firearms as an investment.......you're better off going with traditional investments unless you can foresee the future and have 50-60 years to wait. Any older collector grade firearm is already priced at it's value and whether that value will increase any if at all is questionable. Look at the Pythons. Only folks that made out well on them were those that bought them back in the 60s for $200. They sold them last year for $1200. 50 years made them $1000 on their investment, but it was just pure luck, as they did not buy them as an investment. What are the odds the new owner will make $1000 on it in another 50 years?

You want a firearm to invest in, get one you have always wanted and shoot the snot outta it. Odds are if it's a quality firearm to start with, it will always be worth what you paid for it. If your heirs want it after you are gone, won't it be better if it's because of emotion than because of greed?

jag2

I think I have bought a few at very good prices in the past that I am sure I will do well when it comes time to sell. That said, because of the price escalations in the past few years I can't foresee anything I could buy today that I could do well if I sold maybe ten years from now. Especially if you have to wholesale them to a dealer or pay an auction house. If you have, lets say, a collection of over 50 guns and need to dispose of them quickly (say over 3 to 4 months) you are probably going to take a hit.

larryh1108

If you like the 1911, a nice Wilson Combat, Les Baer or Nighthawk will set you back $3k and should get all of that back, plus, in 20 years and makes a nice heirloom.

Kvon2

Whatever makes you happy. My grandfather passed and I had a little bit of money to spend so I bought a browning x-bolt white gold medallion. I have a passion for bolt guns and a weakness for stainless steel. It's a great looking gun and shoots great. I hope all of my guns become family heirlooms.