300 savage why no love?

Don Fischer

I have a .243 Win, and a 6mm Rem, and a .25-06, and trust me, the .243 will not do what the .25-06 can do!

What is this .257 "Roy" you speak of? Roy Weatherby could have named it the .257 Roy,...he did not. Its the .257 Weatherby.

Folks get testy with calling it .257 "Bob" because that's even dumber and less respectful than calling a Weatherby a "Roy". Roy, at least was part of his name.
Bob never was.

The fellow who designed the .257 Roberts was Ned Roberts. Not Robert, not Bob, but Roberts (with an "s"). Its a family name and cannot be shortened to "bob" (unlike a first name) without flunking basic grade school English grammar.

To me, it doesn't make you look cute, it just makes you look ignorant at best or perhaps, willfully stupid. And I doubt I'm the only one.

really good post!

Don Fischer

Not so much about insults or name calling I don't believe but about a learning curve for new people to shooting. We see this stuff all the time and has to be confusing for the new people. so is it a 257 Bob or a 257 Robert's? What's the difference in them? call it what it is!

10-96

So back to Savages. Did the .300 bring about the demise of the rimmed .303 Savage, or did the .303 just simply fail to compete with Winchester's .30-30? The .300 was definitely a step up in performance from the .303, but I still wonder what killed it off?

taylorce1

Well, we can't get hung up on what people call cartridges until we get them to stop calling them calibers. That bothers me far more than using "Roy" or "Bob". It is far more annoying to hear people say what caliber should I buy for elk .300 Win vs. .30-06.

ligonierbill

I would say both. Obviously, the 30 WCF started rolling in 1895, or at least as soon as folks bought into that newfangled smokeless powder, and it's still going. The 300 Savage was actually aimed at the 30-06. The initial load of a 150 gr bullet at 2,700 duplicated the military load at the tme. I keep mine at about 2,650. The "Aught 6" in modern loads leaves it in the shade. Growing up, I often heard the 300 Savage disparaged as a "glorified 30-30".

Sarge

The 300 Savage is a good cartridge but Savage themselves did it in, when they chambered the 99 in 308. Even under the current shortages, you can find 308 ammo at WalMart. 308 brass, dies etc are infinitely more popular and more available.

Of course I have no room to talk... I'm a 35 Remington guy.

105kw

Ok, let me see if I can get this right.
Savage made the 1895 rifle, and chambered it in .303 Savage. It was a 190gr bullet at about 2000fps. In the early 1900s, the bullet was dropped to 180gr and velocity was slightly increased. It had a really good reputation as a woods game cartridge.
In 1899 Savage updated their design, and kept it in .303.
Starting in 1900, Savage added .30-30 as a factory option in almost all models built until 1940-1941, when WW2 production started. Both were discontinued after the war.
The .300 Savage was introduced in 1920-21. It was offered with a 150 pointed soft point at about 2600fps, which was about a 100fps less than a factory 30-06, and a 180gr at 2350ish that pretty much duplicated a .30-40 Krag.
They were really popular until the advent of .308 Win, add have hung on since.
It is still a great hunting cartridge, usually in a Savage 99, and still my favorite.

jmr40

By my count Hodgdon's website lists load data for 103 cartridges from 25 to 35 caliber. In the real world almost all of them will take deer, elk, black bear or any other commonly hunted game animal in North America.

If you start including the larger bear you could eliminate several, but could probably find at least 50 from that list that would take anything in North America. And I didn't even bother trying to count the ones smaller than 25 caliber or larger than 35 caliber.

Which you choose comes down to how close you're willing to get, how much recoil you want to deal with, personal preference and availability.

The point is that an awful lot of cartridges do the same thing. They can't all be popular.

ballardw

Well, we can't get hung up on what people call cartridges until we get them to stop calling them calibers. That bothers me far more than using "Roy" or "Bob". It is far more annoying to hear people say what caliber should I buy for elk .300 Win vs. .30-06.
On another not-exactly-firearm related forum someone was posting about the "obvious superiority of the 7.62 caliber". From context I think it was a 7.62x39 fanboy comment.

I felt obliged to go through the list of "7.62" cartridges I was somewhat familiar with starting at 7.62 for the Nagant revolver, 7.62x25 Tokarev, then looking up the 7.62 nomenclature for .30-06 and .300 Win Mag. Then discussing that regardless of name that other cartridges such as 7.5x54 French and 7.5x55 Swiss use the same diameter bullets as 7.62x51.

Didn't quite have the heart to bring up 7.62 without a unit could be interpreted as a 7.62 cm, which would be the 76.2mm common in Russian WW2 tanks and artillery. Which I guess could be considered "superior" to the 5.56x45mm for most terminal ballistic measurements.

44 AMP

Staff
Caliber (and calibre) have multiple meanings depending on where you are, and the context.

Caliber in the US is both the cartridge designation OR the bore size, OR (in Naval /artillery parlance) the length of the gun barrel, expressed in bore diameters.

And, the bore size can be land to land measurement or groove to groove measurement. Metric designations tend to use land to land, but that's not a fixed rule.

7.62mm is precisely .300 inches. Not .308 inches.

Our Iowa class battleships have main guns that are " 16inch 50 caliber rifles". This means the barrels are 50x16" long (66.6ft).

Caliber means different things depending on context.

I love the .300 Savage. I have 3 rifles chambered for the round: a 99EG minted in 1936, a Remington 722, and a Remington 81.

As others have mentioned, the biggest detriment to the .300's popularity was the introduction of the .308.

"It was chambered in Savage sporting rifles including the 99, Reminton 721 and 722s, Winchester 54s, and several others."

The Remington 721 was the long-action version, it was never chambered in .300 Savage, which was chambered in the 722.

Also, I can find no evidence that Winchester ever offered the Model 54 in .300 Savage.

There are a few known Winchester Model 70s chambered in .300 Savage, but it is considered to be rare and is a highly sought after item among Winchester collectors.

The .300 was chambered in Remington's 700 "Classics" line in 2003.

JJ45

I hunt and reload for the 300 Savage... but I only have one rifle in 300, a 99F Featherweight with a skinny 22 inch barrel, heats up quick but very accurate and handy.

150 Sierra Spitzer 42.3 grains of Varget average 2650...Hornady 150 Spire Points average a little more with slightly longer OAL...now I only load Sierra 150 RN.

Love the cartridge. That said, there is really little excuse for a 300 except for nostalgia and wanting to load and experiment with old cartridges...the reason is that the .308 will do everything better and can be had in the same short action rifles including lever guns like the 99.

The .308 is supposedly a little more handloader friendly with it's longer neck but the short neck of the 300 has never posed a problem for me.

tex45acp

My son had a 99 in 300 Savage and killed several Texas whitetails and feral hogs. He recently sold it to a guy for $2000 cash, which really blew me away. If I had not been there I would have thought he was tell his old man a little white lie. It came with a nice Weaver Scope, and two boxes of ammo. Ammo was the problem. He does not reload and looked for ammo for several years. This friend of his told him many years ago if he ever wanted to sell it let him know as he was looking for one in that good of condition. The gun was in 98% condition and the only markings on it was where the guy who bought it was salivating over the gun when my soon took the money and handed it to him.

Drm50

I just recently sold my 300Savage m81 Rem, Krieger Conversion and 99 Savage. If the neck on the 300 wasn’t so short it may have been the replacement for 30/06. Not good for auto weapons, so hence 308/ 7.62. I’ve killed deer with 30/30, 30/40, 308, 30/06 and several flavors of 300s. From the Savage to magnums. The thing they all had in common was the degree of dead they all were.