22LR for Home Defense

DA/SA Fan

My mom is 85 years old. She has very little hand strength or upper body strength. She is only BARELY mobile. (very slow with a walker) She lives upstairs from me so I can take care of her but if someone broke down the front door with evil intentions there is no way I could get there in time to help. I don't expect her to clear malfunctions or even rack the slide. I took her to the range exactly once so she knows what it's like to shoot. She did OK with a 9mm and sub-sonic 147 grain ammo. She can pull the DA trigger and the recoil in the SAR B6PC with sub-sonic ammo is really mild enough even for her limitations.

I keep the loaded SAR in the pocket of her lift chair. She is under instructions that if anyone should break down the door she is to aim and fire until the perp is on the ground, running away like a bat out of hell, or the gun is empty. She doesn't answer the door for anyone unexpected or unknown so the door kick in is really the only possible threat to worry about during the day. Same gun goes to her night stand but I'm usually awake way into the night and would most likely be there if a night break in occurred.

Sub-sonic 9 mm ammo in a polymer gun is really quite manageable. Are you sure the .22 is the most she can handle. If it truly is I would use CCI minimags hollow point or round nose really doesn't matter with .22.

michael t

I have a Ruger MKII. I don't think any one with some brain left .Wants to take 10 rounds of CCI from the Ruger. Its not a pocket pistol and that few more inches of barrel makes a difference. My 1st defense pistol was a Star Looked like a mini 1911 in 22 LR . Worked till I could afford a 38spl.