22LR for Home Defense

22-rimfire

I would tend to want to add a 22 rifle for home defense if she is sticking with 22LR. The Ruger 10/22 comes to mind as they are very fast pointing little rifles and you're getting "more" out of the long rifle cartridge.

g.willikers

Except long guns can be unwieldy, blocked and taken taken away easier.
Using one successfully for self defense, especially indoors, is quite different than range plinking.

Stevie-Ray

My .22 RST-6 was my HD weapon for nearly 10 years, as it was all I had. You can get quite good with them when it's your only weapon, other than a .22 rifle. I could empty the magazine on target before some could get off a shot or two from a .357 revolver at the ranges I frequented. Stingers or Yellow Jackets, usually. I know I wouldn't want to face even that.

MarkCO

If I had to go with a .22LR, the Aguila SSS Sniper Subsonic (60 grain) would be my pick.

I do find it incredibly hard to believe that a .22 handgun is easier than a .22 rifle unless she only has one arm/hand.

Doug S

I know that if I was limited to 22lr for defense, I'd be happy to have it. Always read that the CCI Stingers were a good round in this caliber. Certainly better than a harsh word.

mkiker2089

A 25 is more reliable but more expensive, harder to find, and the guns are scarcer. Is it worth it? I rarely see them and from there it's only another small step to 380.

Personally I'd mix her gun with one round normal and one round scatter shot. As others have said, no one wants to get shot even with a 22. One bullet to hurt the person, scatter shot to scare the crap out of them, and if they keep coming one more bullet could easily kill them.

Humans are quite allergic to bullets after all. An airsoft can be lethal under the right circumstances.

Have you already picked the gun? I saw a nice full size 1911 model today at a gun show. The size of the gun will scare people as well as mask the recoil.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Personally I'd mix her gun with one round normal and one round scatter shot. As others have said, no one wants to get shot even with a 22. One bullet to hurt the person, scatter shot to scare the crap out of them, and if they keep coming one more bullet could easily kill them.
I would advise against this for several reasons.

.22LR isn't exactly the Hammer of Thor as it is. Going to snake shot for one round out of a limited capacity probably isn't the best way to maximize effectiveness.

In an autopistol, snake shot is very likely to be unreliable.
An airsoft can be lethal under the right circumstances.
I suppose that anything is possible, but it would surprise me to find that a properly calibrated airsoft could cause death. The only airsoft fatalities I can find are when someone was shot with a firearm because they were threatening an armed person with an airsoft that looked like a real firearm.

Buzzard Bait

It will do the job

Don't right off the 22 it will do the job I have killed very large wild hogs with a 22 hand gun if that's what she can handle use it much better than a clinched fist one hell of a lot better than being an unarmed victim the most important factor in picking amo is what is reliable and functions 100% in the particular hand gun your using I would think heavier bullets would be best as the short barreled hand gun is not going to make as much velocity
bb

Glenn E. Meyer

Just to add on why the handgun is better than the rifle. People fixate on muzzle velocity and do not consider an older person having to hold the rifle up for a long time, manipulate the phone or light, etc.

You would be hard pressed to find incidents where a bad person took rounds from a 22 and continued the attack vs. the rate when they took the rounds and stopped the attack. If they run away and don't die, that is a fine outcome.

If I had to pick up my Buckmark compared to waiting for the law - that's an easy choice.

kilimanjaro

If you're going to limit yourself to the .22LR for self defense, putting a shot load in your round mix is not good advice. You have limited power and penetration, a small wound channel, and lower noise to scare off accomplices. At close range, a shot load is not going to hit more than one person, let alone a group. Better to stick with either the hollow point or full bullet rounds and keep that one additional round available if you need it.

If you insist on using snake shot for self defense, get a shotgun.

ThomasT

I am reminded of the amount of damage one John Hinckley Jr. managed to do with one some 30-odd years ago.

Or the damage Sirhan Sirhan did to Robert Kennedy 46 years ago.

I used to do a lot of testing of 22 rounds for expansion. I found that Remington Yellow Jackets always expanded in water or blocks of putty. Even when fired from an Iver Johnson TP22.

I have no problems at all with someone using a 22 for defense. Just make sure she is very familiar with the gun and gets lots of practice.

JimPage

A semi auto 22 rifle sound like what she needs, She can shoot once or several times. In the house range should be easy shooting for her,

22-rimfire

A short rifle such as a Ruger 10/22 doubles as a club. These rifles are very easy to shoot one handed and very easy to get reasonably capable pointing one at a target within 10 yds.

I haven't seen any Remington Yellow Jackets in years. But then, I haven't seen all that much 22LR ammo in the last three years......

Mike38

I would suggest, from personal experience, use CCI Mini Mags for reliable ammo. As for effectiveness, well, if a person is comfortable and confident with a .22 LR handgun, say a Ruger MK series, and can pump 10 rounds into center mass in 4 or 5 seconds, it should take the fight out of just about any human being that walks the earth.

g.willikers

^^^
What is easily forgotten is that the .22 rimfire requires a different technique to be effective, when compared to the larger calibers.
Due to the inherent accuracy and low recoil of .22 pistols, it's very easy to make up for the lower power with lots of rapid and effective hits.

Sharkbite

What is easily forgotten is that the .22 rimfire requires a different technique to be effective, when compared to the larger calibers.
Due to the inherent accuracy and low recoil of .22 pistols, it's very easy to make up for the lower power with lots of rapid and effective hits.

What is "different" about that technique? "Lots of rapid and effective hits" should be the goal in any defensive shooting, regardless of caliber used.

ALL defensive handguns are under powered, so the days of the "double-tap" are way behind the times. Multiple shots center mass are the "standard response".

Glenn E. Meyer

There is a lot of BS in this discussion and it probably comes from folks who haven't had a great deal of experience in tactical and/or FOF exercises.

1. Folks expect a mom (of unknown strength) to manipulate a long arm and hold it for a significant amount of time. Have you kept a long arm up for a long period? Hold it with one hand and use the phone or a light? Open doors. Use it has a club? Horsepoop. Keep it chambered, on safe? Remember that under stress?

2. 22s take different techniques - just use rapid and effective shots. Have you fired rapid and effective shots under stress and movement? If you don't practice quite a bit - you are lucky to hit anything.

My point - any gun takes some practice, esp. under stress.

Want to make this real and not the usual stopping power for women debate.

Read www.corneredcat.com

Get Mom some training oriented towards self-defense and cognizant of her needs and limitations.

If that is not going to happen:

If the issue is recoil sensitivity (not clear) - then something like a SW Model 60 with a very mild 38 SPL load might work.

If DA triggers are too much in revolvers, some handicapped folks have used guns like a Ruger Bearcat in 22 LR. Not fast but as stated earlier, the idea is to get rounds off as that wins the day in the great majority of time as compared to a non-usable gun.

It's better if the mighty men just let the mom or GF or mistress or wife or daughter get some legit training. Then get a gun that works.

g.willikers

"Lots of rapid and effective hits" should be the goal in any defensive shooting, regardless of caliber used.
For sure, no question.
The .22rimfire can just do it faster for most people.
And that can help make up for the small caliber.