22lr bolt action....what to buy?

rugerdude

MARLIN 925!!!!!!!!

Alrighty, here's what you need to do:

1.) Get the Marlin 925

2.) Remove the sights because you like the plain barrel profile (and so do I) by drifting out the rear, and unscrewing the front. It couldn't be easier!

3.) Mount a scope. I have a 4x BSA on mine. This is probably one of the crappiest scopes in existence from what I hear, but I don't know any better so I still shoot with it. I will however, probably replace it at some point.

4.) Take the rifle down, and look at the trigger. Marlin has ingeniously hidden the goodness of their trigger by putting some pink gunk in the mechanism....remove this at once! Lube if you like, but simply cleaning it out will be well worth your while!

5.) This is optional, but you can easily free-float the barrel by wrapping some rough sand-paper around a 1/2" ratchet head (or something like that, it just needs to be a tube) and going up and down the barrel channel with it for a while. If you've got 20 minutes, you can do it. I don't actually know if this made a difference in mine, because I never shot it really seriously until after I did it. I figure it couldn't hurt.

6.) Shoot it! Find an ammo it likes and have fun making tiny groupings! My Marlin with the above mods done to it will do 1/8" (center to center) 3-shot groups at 25 yards with my crappy BSA scope and.....I think CCI mini-mags.

A friend of mine has a savage with a better scope, and my marlin still outshoots it everytime.