22lr bolt action....what to buy?

mikejonestkd

oldcars,

The marlin and the savage make nice plinking/ casual shooting rifles. Most have decent accuracy, but you can't expect the quality of a $500+ rifle from a $200 marlin.

I have owned several marlins and one savage and they did exactly what they were intended to do - go bang and put a bullet at or very near the POA every time. My marlin 880 SQ ( no longer made ) had a lousy trigger but it has been significantly inproved thanks to a local smith and is now capable of consistent .5" 5 shot groups at 50 yards with match ammo.

The 781 is a decent rifle, if you like it by all means go ahead and get one.

If you are looking to step up in terms of fit, finish and possibly accuracy then the cz 452, and 453 are nice, as has been stated many, many times in this thread. Or you can save up even more and get the anshutz, they are top shelf rifles and have a very well deserved reputation

Last edited:

lg_mouth

No personal experience...

...but I have read around on rimfirecentral that the trainer is a good rifle, especially for the price you can get one for.

I do not agree with Rembrandt at all. I can shoot cloverleafs all day with my $300 built 10/22. I can shoot very well with my $100 25n. I see no reason to spend $300 plus on a rifle when you can get one at half that price that will shoot just as well.

Lg_mouth

oldcars

I shot the romanian trainer today....... not what I am looking for. It shot OK, but it didn't always want to eject the empties, they just kind of lay there, and there is no good way I have found locally to mount a scope on it. I think I will sell it and continue the search. I might try the 781 because the price is right, but I think I will try to find a CZ. What should I expect to pay for a CZ452?

bj426

Marlin Marlin Marlin Marlin

Mine is an 880 with a walnut stock.... tack driver.... would buy it all over again if given the chance.

USNairman

oldcars,

If you get the trainer it should run you around $250-275 and for the American or Varmint around $325 or so. If you like iron sights the Lux sure is a fine rifle and the FS is absolutely beautiful. Prices can vary by location. Whittakers is about the best place to buy a CZ that I have found.

http://whittakerguns.com/

oldcars

Sadly, no one in the surrounding counties has any CZ's to look at, so if I ordered one and payed shipping and the ffl caost I would be over $400 which is a tad more than I want to spend on a 22. I don't do any target competing, and whatever I buy will be beating around in a truck or on a quad, so a real expensive rifle might not be what I need. I take good care of all my guns but they get honest use. I went to the locall Bi-Mart today, and started looking at catalogs and my criteria were: wood stock, detachable mag, 22lr. What I came up with was a Marlin 925, and a Savage mark II bv.

Savage Mark II bv = 21" sightless barrel, accutrigger, 6.5lbs, 5rd mag.$266

Marlin 925= 22" Iron sighted barrel, 6lbs, 7rd mag. $170

I like the sightless barrel and accutrigger of the savage, but I like the two extra rounds, 1/2 less lbs, and $96 cheaper of the marlin.

I want to get something soon, the sage rats are out. Any thoughts?

FirstFreedom

On page one, I said CZ452. I'll add, either that or the Izhmash Biathlon Basic toggle bolt, for around $300, if you can find one - about the same as most of the CZ 452s (less than some CZs however).

On a budget (less than $175), the Tula/Toz 78 is very very nice, if you can find one. If you can't, go with a Marlin or Savage.

If you have less than $100 to spend, then get a used Marlin 60 if you want to scope it, or a Romanian trainer if you like irons.

But, if there is urgency and you don't want to order online and such, then I'd grab that Marlin 925. Iron sights for backup can never hurt. But you won't go wrong with the Savage either.

Presently in .22 rifles, between my brother and myself, we have:
1. CZ 452 Luxe turnbolt
2. CZ 452 Scout turnbolt
3. Henry H003 Pump
4. Winchester 69A turnbolt
5. Izmash Biathlon Basic toggle bolt
6. Rossi break action single shot
7. Savage 24F break action single shot combo gun (w/20 ga)
8. Marlin 60 semi-auto
9. Mossberg 100 semi-auto
10. CZ/Springfield M6 Scout break action single shot combo gun (w/.410 bore)

I still *want*
-Toz 78, turnbolt
-Browning BL-22, lever
-Marlin 39C, lever

oldcars

It will be scoped, My girlfriend and I both have Iron sighted 10/22's for plinking, I dont realy want to spend over $300 including rings and mount. I already have a Leupold M8 6X to use on it.

USNairman

Old cars,

Why over $400 if you ordered one? Whittakers will sell you the trainer for $241 with $10 shipping, $15 FFL fees (depending on YOUR FFL), that is about $270 total but will be under $300 any way you look at it.

USNairman

That is funny FirstFreedom. That is the first time I have witnessed anyone lists what firearms they and a sibling own together.:D

I would not even want to spend the time typing if I had to list the firearms me and my best buddy own together.
I think it's great! I guess I just doubled my collection if I look at it in your way. :p

oldcars

USNairman, If I buy a CZ, I think I would buy the 452, about $340 that I have found, and around here dealers charge $25-40 for an ffl transfer. I wish I could get a transfer for $15, your lucky!!!

USNairman

The trainer is a 452 and no different than the American, varmint, lux, ultra lux. They are all the same exact rifle just differences in the stocks, sights, or with the varmint you get a heavier barrel. If you look around and call different FFL's then you might find the FFL fees a little cheaper. Most gunshops around me charge $20-25 too but I found a gunsmith who only charges $15. Just a thought for you.:)

gak

If you run across a nice old (c 50s) Winchester 69A with "chrome" bolt (think it's actually stainless?), get it. Otherwise, new, ditto the choice many have stated of a CZ.

Tom2

A 10/22 can shoot better groups than 3-4 at 50. The two bolts that hold the barrel to the receiver with a wedge, should be checked for tightness. If the barrel is a dud, lots of cheap pulloffs available from folks putting on target barrels, often with little or no use. That is the cheapest alternative.

MacGille

If you can find one, the Mossberg M46 or any Old mossberg bolt will probably outshoot anything else you can find for under $300. Mine will make one ragged hole at 50 yd and about 1 1/2 " at 100. Bench rest of course. I cleaned up the stock but did no other work on it. They come with a reciever peep sight and a 4 post front sight. You can select which post to use.

The Mossberg was so good that the army used them for target rifles in WWII. I paid $150.00 for mine and wouldn't sell it for 500.00. I compete with my son and his modified 10/22 (heavy barrel, scope, trigger.)