22lr bolt action....what to buy?

oldcars

I have a 10/22 with a trigger job, other than that its stock and the accuracy is horrible ( 3-4" groups at 50yards) I have another Iron sighted 10/22 that is fun to shoot and I will keep forever, but I want to replace the scoped one and not dump $250 more into a $150 gun to make it shoot. I would like to find a decent, reliable 22lr bolt action that shoots whare you point it has a wood stock,and costs under $300 (new or used) and I don't want a 1" heavy barrel, it will be caried to much. I have looked at CZ, Marlin, Savage, and a romainian training rifle? any thoughts? It will be wearing a 6X leupold (off the 10/22 when I sell it)

kametc

This might sound kind of odd, but you might be transfering the problem to the new rifle from the old. Is your 6X Leupold a centerfire rifle or"hunting scope or a rimfire scope? There is a big difference and both models are availible from Leupold. The difference is Parralax and on the rimfire scope is set for 50 yards and the Hunting scope is set for 100. Case in point, I bought my 77-22 SS ruger .22lr because my buddy had one that would put 10 rds through one ragged hole at about 30 yards. I mounted a 6X40mm M-8 Leupold on that .22 and I could never get mine to shoot like Steve's. ( I think he had a Simmons something or other 4X on it). Because of the so-so performance after a couple of years I took the scope off and shot for a couple more years with the Iron sights. This past fall I started shopping for another scope for my .22. My Wife bought for me the Pine Ridge 3X9 Rimfire from Cabella's. ( Yep, the cheap one) I'm not enamored by the eye relief of this scope but it's clear enough and I like it fine. The funny thing is that with this rifle benchrested it will cut the 3/4 inch bullseye clean out of my targets at 30 yards without a single flyer. 20 round fired is 20 rounds through one ragged hole. Same ammo, same rifle, different scope. (before it was about a 2" group) Leupold actually makes a couple of very fine rimfire scopes if you want good glass on your rifle.

If you have already checked this then I would shop for the Savage with the acutrigger, those rifles are amazing, and for about $170

arkie2

How many types of ammo have you run through your 10-22? I have one and it has a definite preference for a few types and won't shoot others at all.

Rembrandt

Probably ruffle a few feathers by saying this, but anything under $300 is "bottom of the barrel" in terms of quality. Money buys accuracy, and $300 won't get you much of that. These generally feature cost saving plastic parts, crude basic sights, and rough triggers.

For a few hundred more you'll get much better rifle.

USNairman

Buy a CZ 452 or a 453 and you will not be disappointed. These are some of the best shooting rifles in my rimfire collection.

Socrates

CZ 452 and 15 dollar trigger parts.
Find a good scope. Use the 3200 Elite, and, mine shoots 1/4" at 25 yards, if I do.
S

mikejonestkd

For the money, savage and marlin make some nice affordable plinkers, and they tend to shoot well too. CZ has a good reputation too, as others above have mentioned.

Servo77

Probably ruffle a few feathers by saying this, but anything under $300 is "bottom of the barrel" in terms of quality. Money buys accuracy, and $300 won't get you much of that. These generally feature cost saving plastic parts, crude basic sights, and rough triggers.

For a few hundred more you'll get much better rifle.

I will disagree with this. I think savage and marlin make very accurate rifles in this price range. I had a 25n that shot 1/2" or better at 50 yards with several ammo brands with a simmons proair 4x scope. The trigger was a bit heavy, but that can be fixed and I paid about $140 for the rifle and $40 for the scope.

1/2" may not be spectacular, but it is definately good!

BTW....you may want to take a look at the charles daly superior II that CDNN has for $149.99. It is a nice little rifle that is capable of pretty darn good accuracy.

That said, I do not have the rifle anymore because I "upgraded" to a CZ 452.

Scorch

I have owned several 77/22s, and recently bought a 77/22 Target Gey Stainless with a laminated stock. To say it shoots well is an understatement. 3/8"-1/2" at 50 yds with cheap American Eagle ammo. With Federal Champions it shoots 3/8" at 50 yds. Very nice, and it carries nicely, too.
I also own a Remington 541T that shoots pretty well, but not as well as the Ruger.

oldcars

Wow, it seems that everyone likes the CZ452!!!! I just traded for a m69 romanian "training rifle" in 22lr with a 5 round mag. It didn't cost me much, so I figured I would try it. I can also get a good deal on a marlin 781. does anyone have any experience with those 2 rifles? I think I will either buy a CZ452 or a ruger 77/22, but for a cheaper 22 "beater" how are the romanian jobs, and the 781?