.22 Cal.CCW How Common Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT-92

I carry one daily, namely, a Beretta 21a Bobcat using HV CCI or Aguila AV--I've done lots of testing with said ammo and my little mouse-gun never misses a beat. I carry mine strictly as a backup to my Glock 26 and I'd rather be deploying a .380 in that capacity but I didn't want to veer off on another caliber to my modest collection...That said, I would never personally contemplate using mine as a primary defensive handgun to be sure but can understand that some people may not have other options available to them at this particular moment (we've all been there a time or two).

I am looking for some links to ballistic tests (.22lr) relative to mouse-guns as all of the vendor proclaimed velocity reports are gathered via full-size guns.

--Happy New Year

K_Mac

I think a 22lr is far better than nothing. A 380 is as small as I carry, and if I could find and afford a true 9mm pocket handgun I wouldn't carry less. I well understand shot placement is always key. Give me a little time and at self-defense range that isn't a problem. The problem is things happen very quickly in a gunfight.

Sharkbite

Give me a little time and at self-defense range that isn't a problem. The problem is things happen very quickly in a gunfight

And THAT is the problem. Not enough time for surgical shot placement. All handguns are ballistically insignificant. Going below a Compact 9mm makes the issue even worse.

ammo.crafter

Carries a Hi Standard 22 mag o/u derringer in a wallet holster for many years and felt secure with semi-jacketed hollow point rounds in both barrel.

Compare the mag to the lr....big difference.

Ton

I'll occasionally clip an NAA mini revolver to the elastic of my gym shorts when I'm working out or just hanging around the house. It's the only gun that I have ever literally forgot was there until I was getting undressed later. I'll confess I don't have a whole ton of faith in it, but it beats my fists.

T.Chaney

I carry a Ruger sr-22 as a backup every day.It's what I've got for now.I keep it ready with CCI stingers.They are the only rimfire that have been 100%.

pilpens

I have carried a 1911 with a .22 or conversion on it. Why you ask, Because I could put all 10 rounds into a .45 inch hole at 10 yards. I have also seen a 9 mm bounce off a cow and .22 penetrate and kill said cow. Shot placement is EVERYTHING!! And being 6 inch group at 10 yards VS .45 inch group at 10 yrds. I felt very comfortable being able to do a head shot with my .22

If 22 is all you have/can handle, then it is good. Otherwise, use something with more punch.
In a stressful situation, trying to hit a small and likely moving target maybe very difficult to do. Aiming for center of mass (chest area) allows greater chance of hits than aiming at head.
Combat accuracy (self defense accuracy) - does not require extreme accuracy. Being able to shoot tight groups is nice. It can be an indication that you have mastered the shooting fundamentals.

Glenn E. Meyer

We are starting to post some unsporting internet claims.

One postulates that they could put a stream of 22 LRs in a head of a moving target.

Others postulate that the most common attacker will stride through a stream of 22 LRs to continue the attack.

That's nice but not really supported and esp. in comparison with other rounds.

So can we lay back on such? The best conclusion is that you should shoot the round that you can best handle quickly and accurately as seen in training, matches or other test venues. However, if you have a lesser caliber, use it. It is more likely to work than not.

Last, give the deterrent nature of most DGUs, having the gun wins the day so much of the time, that not having one (even of a lesser caliber) is stupid. Talking to experts I can't find much evidence that criminals have significantly less deterrence from various handguns.

Elmer Keith said a 22 is small until it is pointed at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.