.22 Cal.CCW How Common Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike38

You know, I just purchased a Smith 317 and it weighs 12.5 ounces and is an 8 shooter

I bought a Taurus PT22PLY for that reason. 11.2 ounces (empty) and also 8 rounds.

BTW, just Saturday I put the 400th round down the tube with zero malfunctions using CCI Mini Mags. 400 rounds is plenty for me to call it a reliable firearm.

BlueTrain

I've never had a failure to fire with any .22 I've owned. I'd agree with those who believe there are a lot of people who only own one gun and it's a .22 handgun.

I recall reading somewhere that Rex Applegate carried a .22 pistol for a while because he felt he could place his shots precisely enough to make up for the lack of power. But he also later described an incident in which he shot someone with a .38 S&W and it almost wasn't enough. That's when he encouraged S&W to create the Centennial revolver, I think it was, in .38 Special, which I assumed he thought was adequate.

While a .22 may or may not be adequate, my father died from a .22 gunshot. I guess I lived in a rough neighborhood.

michael t

I use to carry a Beretta 25 never trusted a small 22 auto . But then KelTec came out with the P-32 . No reason now to carry less than 32acp. I still have and won't sell my Beretta's & Bauer. But the 32 is better .

Clock

Ditto on the Kel-Tec 32. 10 years or so, you were limited to a 22 or 25 in a small pocket pistol, but with the advent of Kel-Tec and it's clones, why not carry a larger caliber in the same size package?

Big Shrek

World Record Grizzly Bear was taken by an Grandma with a .22lr,
and that record stood for almost 50 years...
never underestimate an old person with an old firearm they know very well ;)

saber9

When the clothes I'm wearing don't allow carrying anything larger I carry a PT22 in my trouser pocket (in a pocket holster). I believe that a .22 in my hand is better than the .45 ACP I left at home.

silverbullet6oh

I am going to apply for my CCW next week, and I will be carrying my sd40ve unless I am at work, then I will have my .22lr as an ankle gun.:eek:

skoro

Certainly wouldn't be my choice.

But it's not hard to envision that lots of people do.

Prof Young

Dang . . .

Dang:
You all are making me wanna invest in a 22 mag revolver as an alternate carry gun.

Cut it out.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

ThomasT

Near me in Granbury TX a few years a go a couple of punks broke in an older mans house. He was armed with an NAA 22 revolver. He shot both of them. He didn't kill them but they left in the back of an ambulance.

I have carried a 22 off and on since the early 1980s. Mostly an Iver Johnnson TP-22. I almost used it once. The guy I thought was going to attack in a rest area restroom was scared off by two other motorist. He and his partner did kill a traveler 10 days later at another rest area in a failed robbery.

I have a TP-22 I just bought a few months ago and a Beretta 950 25 auto. I like them because they just disappear in a front pocket of my jeans. And a plus 10 on the Kel-Tec 32 acp. I wish I hadn't sold mine. I am sure I will buy another one since I now reload 32 auto.

SaxonPig

I went through the CCW class with an older gent using a 22 auto pistol. I suspect not too many folks pack 22s (I have on occasion as I have a very compact 22 for times when lightly dressed) but I bet many homes are guarded by 22s. My mother worked 32 years in an inner city hospital and she said they saw more people shot with 22s than with any other caliber.

Boncrayon

I suspect you're referring to the .22LR. In a situation of revealing your weapon and firing while under attack, it would depend on your accuracy to stop the assailant. Without a critical hit with a .22LR, the attacker is still coming at you...and he's mad! I would suggest no less than a .380 hollow-point, or better a 9mm. A .22LR might make you feel safe, but in reality, not your best CCW choice.

Glenn E. Meyer

Without a critical hit, no handgun round is a stopper. That's been well demonstrated.

Anecdotes are fun. In FL, there were two old geezers in the pancake house. A BG came in with a shotgun and threatened the waitress. The geezers shot him with a 22 Mag derringer and a NAA 22 mag mini. The crook ran away - I can't remember if they got him later. So it worked.

This has been discussed into the ground. If that's all you can handle, carry it.

hbhobby

I have carried a 1911 with a .22 or conversion on it. Why you ask, Because I could put all 10 rounds into a .45 inch hole at 10 yards. I have also seen a 9 mm bounce off a cow and .22 penetrate and kill said cow. Shot placement is EVERYTHING!! And being 6 inch group at 10 yards VS .45 inch group at 10 yrds. I felt very comfortable being able to do a head shot with my .22

salvadore

I posted in mid Nov. that I had just purchased a Smith 317 that I would probably be carrying it a lot. It nestles securely in an inside pocket of my Carhartt hoody and gets carried a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.