.22 AR Look alike in .22

slim9300

B53D200A-AF5A-439C-A66C-6883D8799E70-6383-0000092D9767DD79.jpg

My S&W 15-22

Looks identical to mine.

Best $375 plus tax I have ever spent for a gun. Lol. The thing drives tacks at 50 yards and with over 2k Federal rounds through it, she has never had a single hiccup (other than 3 FTFs). I own 2 other 5.56 caliber ARs and if I want a 'real' AR weight, I'll pickup one of them.

BPowderkeg

S&W .22 is a good gun..., BUT !!

m4-300x96.jpg

this is the real thing, no plastic.., wellll maybe the handguards, but other than that it is just like your AR-15 .223/5.56mm upper, shoots great and rarely ever misfires or jams.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it is a TacSol upper, the barrel is steel the receiver is Aluminum go here for more info..., thank you all !

http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/ar22-22lr-conversion

MSRP $625.., seems a bit high but you are paying for QUALITY !!

i got mine at a gun show special introductory offer for $425.00 and two Black Dog mags.., Ceiner mags also work but a bit "iffy" for reliability.

slim9300

S&W .22 is a good gun..., BUT !!

m4-300x96.jpg

this is the real thing, no plastic.., wellll maybe the handguards, but other than that it is just like your AR-15 .223/5.56mm upper, shoots great and rarely ever misfires or jams.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it is a TacSol upper, the barrel is steel the receiver is Aluminum go here for more info..., thank you all !

http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/ar22-22lr-conversion

MSRP $625.., seems a bit high but you are paying for QUALITY !!

i got mine at a gun show special introductory offer for $425.00 and two Black Dog mags.., Ceiner mags also work but a bit "iffy" for reliability.

Lol. Quality would come with a non-crappy rail IMHO.

Mobuck

I recently lost the fight with myself and bought a 22 lr upper. Low budget Chiappa with 4x28 round mags. Haven't shot it much but it works OK. Doesn't fit quite as I'd like to see but it does fit a couple of lowers I have, so that's good enough.

ripnbst

The S&W M&P 22 AR does very well. I've seen several shot in competitions and they very rarely do anything out of the ordinary.

JWT

The S&W 15-22 is a great choice. It functions very much like its big brothers. Mine has performed flawlessly. Great shooter and quite accurate

Ibmikey

Just had some more plinking fun with my 15-22 and a new Truglo Triton red dot this weekend. The combination makes my "walking" target do just that with great regularity. With several thousand rounds through it the 15-22 has not had a FTF or extract, Iand I have used some pretty grungey ammo from the "thirty year old" ammo supply box. I use the short ten round mags as they seem more versitle than the higher capacity ones and having to change a mag during firing is part of the fun. My DPMS .22LR handles like a regular AR, balances the same and is more accurate than the 15-22 fun gun, using it and a regular AR is not the same as a change from the AR to the 15-22 as you know right off the Smith is a .22. Hope that is not too confusing, just trying to point out the M&P and dedicated upper are obviously different.

Last edited:

TexAg

15-22 is fun!! GREAT gun for kids and beginners too because of the light weight and collapsible stock.

Ibmikey

Bombthepesants, if you Shoot a 15-22 before buying a dedicated upper you may just change your mind...I have both .

BombthePeasants

Ibmikey: I have no doubt the M&P is a great gun. The primary reason I want the Model 1 sales upper is because it would mimic my match rifle exactly in terms of barrel length, handguard size, etc. I want a trainer that's identical to my main rifle.

Ibmikey

Gotcha' that is the way to go then. I have no experience with Model 1 .22 as mine is DPMS and Stag lower ---AR all the way. I built a rifle using a Model 1 barrel (E.W. Shaw) that is a tack driver, hope your .22 turns out the way you anticipate.

Ibmikey

As previously stated I can only comment on Model 1 sales barrels I purchased from Midway, three of them. My government contour is exceptionally accurate with the two light weight barrels not far behind. I have not handled their rifle in .22 lr but if half as good as my DPMS it will become a cherished possession.

+1k ammo

Well, I have two. The plastic M&P and an older wood one - Taico Squires Bingham model 16.

The M&P is fun and loads quick, but I do not like the plastic feel. I'm going to sell the older Taico that I do not use and build up a new real AR-15 - not sure what the Taico is worth?

On that note, I just found some hunting stuff on Walmarts online site, and they will deliver to just around the block at FedEx for free! They have replacement stocks and almost all parts to build an AR except for the lower receiver I think. I could build one up from Walmart.

The point is, I can pass Walmart purchases to my better half, but NOT from gun stores. She blew a lid the last time she found some range and target fees on a credit card.

What do you think about above.

Ibmikey

A walmart AR build ought to spark some interest on the forum. In regard to your other problem have you noticed the 15-22 is less demanding than the wife? :)

Justice06RR

M&P15-22 is the way to go with 22lr AR's.

Its hard to justifiy buying only a dedicated 22lr upper for $600+, when you can buy a complete M&P15-22 for under $500, or even a complete PSA 5.56 upper for $400 when they have their sale.

Rikakiah

Since most everyone else seems to have the ever-popular (with good reason, I'm sure) M&P, I figured I'd throw in another option. I got the HK/Walther 416 (used, with the optional "compensator"/fake silencer) for 500 recently. I absolutely love it. It's all metal, whereas, I was thinking the M&P had a plastic top rail? It's also pretty close in weight to the centerfire version, if you're interested in a closer "training fit".

The one thing I don't like is you're not supposed to take out the bolt assembly for cleaning. It will void the warranty (which I don't have, anyway), but I think I read that the reasoning is because there's some springs or something in there that can pop out and get lost if you're not careful (it's some proprietary system for the .22 caliber and one of the few things that isn't an exact replica of the centerfire version). Not sure if other .22 ARs have the same restriction as this is the only one I've actually handled. Ultimately, I may peruse the manual and see about taking the assembly out every now and then for a thorough cleaning, as it does get pretty gunky with some of the .22 ammo I've managed to find.

Which is the other thing...finding ammo for this sucker seems harder than getting real rifle ammo now. :( Which is one reason why I'm getting ready to place an order for a 5.56 AR...