.22 AR Look alike in .22

C7AR15

Most of the manufacturers are making some kind of AR knockoff, in 22 rim fire.

Can you tell me about the experience you have had , with the model
you bought.

Also the cost.. Thanks

dakota.potts

We have a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22

It was pricey, almost $600. Probably around $500 now that it's kind of cooling down from the panic.

Very accurate and easy to use. Although the sights on ours needs to be adjusted, I was hitting sporting clays on the berm at 50 yards with no problem.

It also eats just about all ammo. Our ruger 10/22 is a jam-o-matic. This has had maybe 500 rounds through it and not a single jam. Probably because it flings the shells out so hard that everything clears the ejection well.

It's very easy to load and literally anybody can shoot it accurately.

It also has a quad rail for attachments.

I like it.

I bought an M&P15-22 when they first came out, but sold it. It was a great rifle but I didn't like the plastic construction. I ordered it and had not handled one at the time. I sold it to a buddy. I ended up buying a CMMG Quebec-A. It is a standard 5.56 lower with a dedicated .22 upper from the factory. I love it. I ended up buying my wife an Hk/Umarex 416 .22. It has been great and runs like a champ too. It doesn't ale from the issues the Colt/Umarex had when first released.

My opinion would be buy a dedicated CMMG Quebec-A if you can find one, if not get a dedicated upper and standard lower.i use Black Dog magazines with metal feed lips. I have two uppers I now switch out and put on my CMMG.

Skans

The only 22 knock-off that I have seriously been considering buying is the ATI STG 44 22lr Carbine "Sturmgewehr"

n5lyc

I own a S&w 15-22, it is a fine gun, but i got it from someone that owed me some money for computer work.
I just have a problem with the cash price.

If you are looking on a budget, i would suggest a Mossberg 702tactical or 715 tactical.

I have owned 2, both had the same internal .22 semi rifle inside a polymer shell.

i won't call it plastic because it is more of a glass filled nylon.

The first was a used one with the long funky looking forearm and fixed carry handle.
The handguard was slightly loose fitting on the action, so the front sights would rotate a half a degree or so left or right.

Good for rifle drills out to 50 yards on man sized targets.

But it fed almost everything i shot through it.

the only malfunctions i would credit to the cheap federal bulk ammo, and you could hear the difference in the report of the round and the empty case would be ejected (if it had the power) only a foot from the gun, the others would land several feet away.

Fun gun, but not control wise accurate to an ar-15 (safety, mag release, and charging handle)

The second one i owned had the flat top and removable sights, and the flash hider on the barrel.

Internally, the same gun.

Externally, quality control wise, it was heads and shoulders above the previous one.
Same control locations as the earlier one, but the action was tight into the shell, and much more accurate compared to the other one.

Red dots fit easily, was adjustable in length of pull, fun to shoot, younger shooters like it too.

Detail stripping/cleaning sucked.
15+ screws in the shell, then it is about the same as cleaning say a marlin model 60.

Normally I am a clean gun nut. but decided to see what the 715t would do with minimal cleaning.
No dissassembly, and other than spraying some CLP into the open action, scrubbing with the small end of an m16 brush, spraying with a little compress air, then running a bore snake down the bore and a shot of CLP on the bolt and work the action a few times.

in over 6,000 rounds no problems i could not contribute to cheap ammo.

CCI Minimag, and CCI Tactical ammo it ate like a kid eats m&m's.

Same with Winchester m22, and winchester bulk white box .22.
Remington bulk 325's i could hear the power difference with the bad rounds, same with federal bulk.

Hope this can help you some.

45 Bravo

Fishbed77

My opinion would be buy a dedicated CMMG Quebec-A if you can find one, if not get a dedicated upper and standard lower.i use Black Dog magazines with metal feed lips. I have two uppers I now switch out and put on my CMMG.

Indeed. A dedicated .22LR AR-15 is the way to go.

I have this CMMG Sierra dedicated .22LR upper on a Palmetto State Armory lower. Unlike the S&W M&P15-22 (which is a plastic AR-15 replica), the Colt/Umarex M4-22 (which is a potmetal AR-15 replica), or the Mossberg Tactical (which is a Plinkster in a cheap plastic shell), this is a real forged aluminum AR that is just chambered in .22LR and has a .22LR BCG.

If feels just like an AR-15, because it is an AR-15. Reliability has been excellent and it is incredibly accurate - probably the most accurate stock semi-auto .22LR I've ever encountered. The Black Dog mags (both steel- and polymer-lipped) work great.

DSC_0021-1_zps106907a1.jpg

Last edited:

Ibmikey

I have a 15-22 MOE that is more fun than peeing off a bridge! I have a DPMS dedicated upper on a Stag lower with all the goodies that is more fun than peeing off a bridge...but I seem to get a bigger smile with the 15-22, gotta love it. Reminder: don't stand under the bridge.

Quentin2

I got the Colt/Walther M4-22lr a couple years ago at Sportsman's Warehouse for $450. It's been reliable and accurate with Federal valuepak. No real complaints and I like how it looks and feels like a real M4. The new Gen 2 model corrects a few issues with original, so that would be the one to get today if you choose Colt.

I agree with the others that a .22lr upper that fits on a real AR lower is the best way to go if money is no object. Counting a dedicated lower the cost is at least $200 more than the S&W or Colt.

My buddy has the S&W and we like both rifles, each has advantages.

OttoJara

S&W 15/22, I bought mine used at a gun shop a year and a half ago. Paid $375+ tax, call.... I love the gun, was tack driving out 50 yrds with a reddot. I've got 10 25rd mags and love shooting. My 10 yr old son shoots as well, slide the stock in and he's ready to go. I'm not going under anymore bridges.

BPowderkeg

S&W .22 is a good gun..., BUT !!
m4-300x96.jpg

this is the real thing, no plastic.., wellll maybe the handguards, but other than that it is just like your AR-15 .223/5.56mm upper, shoots great and rarely ever misfires or jams.

Trueno

m4-300x96.jpg

this is the real thing, no plastic.., wellll maybe the handguards, but other than that it is just like your AR-15 .223/5.56mm upper, shoots great and rarely ever misfires or jams.

Well wt* is it?

Chiappa?