2 punks hassling you near your property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nnobby45

Personally, in THAT situation, I would have out the gun away, and fought with him-right or wrong.

Lost Sheep, thanks for the reference.

Well, if you "had out the gun" and you fought with him, what kind of fight did you have in mind? Fighting to see who ended up with the gun?

I remember Geraldo Rivera (before he went to Fox News) pointing out that he could have retreated inside his house and deadly force would have been legal had the bully entered (or tried to?).

IMO, a good attorney could have made an excellent case justifying shooting in order to keep from being disarmed. But he didn't have a good attorney, and he played a part in escalating hostilities-- and there was the taunting graphically shown on video. :cool:

Last edited:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I inform them that I am going inside to call the cops, and then I do so.

Why does the internet seem so eager to start busting caps all the time?

BlkHawk73

I most cases such idiots want the attention first and foremost so ignore them. Give them ZERO attention. This could however go the other direction and get them aggravated sense they wouldn't get attention. In that case, it's when things get worse. Before escalating things more (a firearm will do this) head for the house.

I'd question more...no phone?

MLeake

Eagerness to bust caps...

... can seem pretty widespread on the internet.

I'm not eager to bust caps. I prefer de-escalation where possible.

However, given a pair of bullies, already on my yard, and already closed to 10-15 feet while mouthing threats, I'm not so sure simply walking away would be advisable or even possible.

Having dealth with human bullies and aggressive dogs, I feel much safer facing them than turning my back on them, or even letting them think I'm turning my back on them.

With both human bullies and aggressive animals, it can be deadly to let them think you've turned tail.

This isn't about chest thumping, it's just observation from firsthand experience. I used to be one of those guys who felt one could reason with anybody, or walk away from anything.

There's more than one reason I got into wrestling in school, and martial arts as an adult. Some of those reasons have to do with bullies who didn't believe in letting people walk away.

Given your average pair of bullies, I think that even without a gun I might be an unpleasant surprise for them; I would still be very uncomfortable about turning my back.

This is why I'd tend toward verbally warning them, and trying to back them down with body language while letting them know the cops would be called out again.

pax

I inform them that I am going inside to call the cops, and then I do so.

Why does the internet seem so eager to start busting caps all the time?

Quite so.

This one's done, too.

pax

Status
Not open for further replies.