1851 Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Akins

It doesn't look too bad at all Hawg. I know you're going to spruce it up and have fun with it. I know what you mean about the hammer catching just a hair after the bolt drops. One of my 1860 Piettas does that. I've just about resigned myself to the fact that if its a Pietta, it's probably going to need a tweak or two here and there to make everything right. That's the thing about black powder revolvers, if people didn't already know how before, the revolvers will at least make whoever is persistent enough to own and shoot them learn how to gunsmith them, which of course I know you already know how to do. Glad you got it and hope you'll be happy with it. Let us know how well it shoots.

Last edited:

Hawg

Taylors are supposedly hand picked from the factory. I don't know anything about Texas Jack. Cabela's is the best deal for the money.

zullo74

Hawg,

From Taylors website....
When a bulk shipment is received, it is hand-checked before leaving our warehouse to ensure you have the best product possible for your shooting sport.

They are not an IMPORTER of Pietta guns, as stated on their website also. So they aren't 'hand picked at the factory'. For $276 for a steel '51 Navy, I bought from Cabelas and checked it out myself, thank you very much!

Hawg

After firing the wedge popped out with double thumb pressure and the barrel came off easily. Reassembly was a breeze. I got four cylinders off before it started to stiffen up with just the oil that was already on it. I swabbed the chambers out with alcohol real good but it still took four blank charges per chamber before it burned any powder. Once it burned the oil out I loaded her up and she never had a hitch. The sights surprised me. It was Coke can accurate at 30 ft. I'm going to have to make some paper targets to see what it's doing at 25 yards tho.

Doc Hoy

Hawg

You spoke of catching your thmbnail on the barrel to frame interface. The 1860 I just bought from the big "C" had the same issue.

Also does one of the photos show a semicircular machine mark remaining on the trigger guard? Just above the trigger on the left side where Colts are generally marked with the caliber.

zullo74

Tubular; From 1986....Surfer way to say cool. Relates to the tube a wave forms when cresting. First started in the Maplewood/South Orange Area of NJ and moved up and down East coast surfer comunity. Was in use in the west coast by 1988. :cool:

Fingers McGee

zullo74 said:
They are not an IMPORTER of Pietta guns, as stated on their website also.

From Taylor's home page "Since 1988, Taylor's & Co., Inc. has imported high-quality black powder and cartridge firearms and accessories for shooters, collectors, historical re-enactors, and competitors. Taylor’s & Co. is an importer and distributor of 1840-1892 period firearms..............Taylor’s firearms manufacturers include Uberti Firearms, Pedersoli, Chiappa Firearms, F.L.L.I. Pietta, and BOND Arms."

I don't know how you get that they aren't an importer of Pietta firearms from that.

zullo74

I get that because on the same page is this statement....I guess in your haste to discredit me you missed it! :D

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/

Distributor and Importers of the Following Brands:
index.10.jpg

index.11.jpg

index.12.jpg

zullo74

I guess you just can't read. Nowhere on the pages you cited does it state that they import Pietta. :mad:
Fingers might have made an error by not going far enough down the page, but you.....

zullo74

They might get them from Walmart for all anybody knows, but the FACT remains that on their front page of their website they LIST the companies they import from. What is so hard for you to understand?

MJN77

Taylor's has been selling Piettas since they have been in business. Just because they are not specifically listed as being imported means nothing. They clearly sell them. What's so hard about that to understand?

zullo74

We were discussing the fact that Taylor's does not import Pietta. That's the point here. I know they sell them. So do a lot of other places too. They get them from distributors. Ever heard that term?

MJN77

Well how's this, sport? I just got off the phone with Taylor's. They in fact DO import directly from Pietta even though it is not listed on the front page. Why not give them a call and tell THEM they are lying? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.