10mm suggestions

44caliberkid

The only bullet profile I’ve seen for 10mm/ 40 is truncated cone, whether FMJ or JHP. I have two 10mm 1911’s and neither has ever had a feed problem, or any other problem for that matter.
All the Glock 10’s are on the Glock large frame (10/ 45). I have a Glock 40 10mm and I find the grip to be a bit large, big around and long trigger reach, and I don’t have small hands. I’m not sure it will stay in my collection forever.
Don’t forget the Sig 220 or EAA Witness, which gives you SA and DA trigger. I have a 220 in 45 and would love one in 10mm, just have other wants that take precedent right now.
My final answer would be 1911.

tex45acp

cmdc,
Since you say that you will mostly be punching paper, just about any 10mm platform will work for you. I am a 1911 guy and mine have been flawless, but the one gun I think I enjoy shooting the most is my Smith & Wesson 1066. It is one of the best balanced firearms I own and is very accurate. I have several thousand rounds down the barrel and it is my proverbial Timex watch. It truly takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I also have a Springfield XDM, Springfield Range Officer Elite Operator (1911) and a Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup (1911). All are fun to shoot.

bamaranger

grips & bullet profiles & ramps

Yes, the G20 grip is big and almost clunky feeling, akin to grabbing a 2x4. I can manage mine, but there is a distinct difference from the 9mm family. The 1911 grip feels good to most everyone.

Regards bullets and ramps, the Winchester 175 gr Silvertip and the Ranger T variety have the most rounded projectile profiles in the 10mm ctg that I have seen. When manually releasing the slide to chamber a round, they do indeed seem to feed slicker to my ears. The truncated slugs from other mfg's do seem to chamber more harshly, but in my single 1911/10mm (RIA) they do feed. What I have found is that like all 1911 pistols, magazine mfg seems overly important, ie, some mags work better (and slicker) than others.

The ramped barrel of the RIA 10mm (and I suspect others) is a departure from the original 1911 feed system. Pro or con I cannot say, but I suspect it is a stronger arrangement, beneficial to 10mm pressures.

RickB

10mm is a great excuse to start handloading, if you don't already.
I've loaded 135gr bullets at 1150, and at 1450.
You can mimic .40 if you want, or you can go where no .40 has gone before (I'm working up a load now to send a 220 at over 1200fps).
It does require a large frame, so hi-caps can be a handful, but you don't have to go hi-cap.
Ramped barrels are not necessary, unless you need to make a habit of pushing SAAMI limits with every shot. I've had one case head blow-out, and it was a .40-level handload in what was apparently a tired case.
When the Delta Elite was being developed, without a ramped barrel, Norma was the only ammo there was, which was as hot as anything available today.

Ricklin

handloads

My enjoyment of handloading has returned lately. Circumstances have me at home a lot. I like the 10 mm a lot, it appeals both for it's semi auto design, and the amount of snort. My girly hands favor the short frame Glock as woods duty is about the only practical reason to own one. The combination of capacity, reliability, and power in a < 2 pound package is hard to beat.
1 bullet profile rather gives me pause with full house 10mm. Is the feed ramp for the Glock 10 as abrupt as 1911 pattern guns? Glock had their challenges with .40 and case support years ago.

Last edited:

jackstrawIII

I only have significant experience with two 10mm pistols, the Sig P220 and the Glock 20. Of the two, the Glock was considerably softer shooting and more accurate in my hands.

If I was looking for a 10mm pistol today, I would buy the M&P without a doubt. It’s like the Glock, but better (trigger, ergonomics, etc).

rc

Kimber 10mm target II is a good one for paper punching. Most commercial ammo is really not much hotter than 40. Maybe an extra 100 to 150fps.

Ricklin

M+P

How is the grip size of the M+P? The full size Glock is too big for my little mitts. The short frame works. I will need to feel up an M+P in 10 and see if it fits my girly mitts.

wild cat mccane

The 10mm FCU fits the 9mm frame if you go Sig X-Ten. The 45 FCU does NOT fit the 9mm frame.

But then you have a P320 variant...

Life is trade offs. :D

Pathfinder45

If money is no concern, buy two guns:
  1. Pick any auto-pistol. Doesn't matter which,'cuz it won't end up being your favorite.
  2. Look for a late-first generation, pre WWII, Colt Single Action revolver in 38-40, buy it and have a competent gunsmith fit an extra 10mm cylinder to it and see what happens from there.
:)

44caliberkid

If money is no concern, buy two guns:
  1. Pick any auto-pistol. Doesn't matter which,'cuz it won't end up being your favorite.
  2. Look for a late-first generation, pre WWII, Colt Single Action revolver in 38-40, buy it and have a competent gunsmith fit an extra 10mm cylinder to it and see what happens from there.
:)
Interesting and unique solution.

Dashunde

CMDC said:
I know there are a lot of 10mm pistols available now, so which one/ones would you recommend for general shootability? I will mostly be shooting paper.

CMDC said:
I will also be using the pistol when traversing wilderness areas in the mountain west. I want something that is robust enough to handle real 10mm loads like the afore mentioned BB etc., ammunition

Those two situations are pretty much two different guns.
I live in Idaho and have a G40, G29, DW Kodiak, Razorback (and a Valor in 45, I like DW).

The G40 is the all around 10mm I'd pick, but its not awesome at anything except delivering 10mm quickly. It's ok on paper, but slide fit isn't perfect and the sights are just mediocre, so as with any Glock pure accuracy isn't there, shooting steel is much more fun than seeking precision out of that gun. The 40 is pretty big so fully loaded its a lot to hike with. Here in ID I hike/ATV with a G29 loaded with Underwood copper mono's usually carried in a Hill People Gear Snubby chest bag. Depending on the season, during trips up north I carry the 29, 40 or a 629 44mag in a Gunfighters Kenai open chest rig (different kydex for the 629).

So in short, the DW Kodiak is best for paper, the G29 is best for hiking, the G40 is ok at both and its biggest advantage is it tames 10mm well and has good capacity. Lastly, the G29 is no fun at all to target shoot, so dont go there.
A G20 might be the best all arounder for you?

Note on the G40mos.. I have a HE508T on my G40, but I take it off when carrying in the woods. It has a long enough slide and a glance is all it takes to get on target, the dot messes that up for me. I've tried it both ways on steel at 10 and 25 yards, I'm waaaay faster at 10 yards without the dot, and about the same at 25. Point is, I'd rather not be trying to look at a bear through framed glass.

44caliberkid

At 1,300, this is probably the top 10mm option that isn't a 1911. Just learned of the model so passing it along.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/tfgoldm10
Wow, I like that one. Have always been a Tangfolio Witness fan. I may have to ad another 10 mike mike to the stable. I just bought an RIA, can’t have too many 1911’s. I couldn’t pass it up at the old price, NIB for $450, as compared to the recent higher price ($640’s). Hopefully will be done harvesting corn on Saturday and will have some good weather next week to shoot it and post a range report.

44caliberkid

I was looking for a 10mm RIA, but the prices had gone up about $200. Was keeping an eye out on GB and found two, NIB, at the old price, $450, but one was $70 for shipping and the one I bought was $19 for shipping. Took it out over two days and put about 120 rounds through it. Started with Federal red box and some Ammo Inc. One thing about Philippine pistols is they need to wear in. Slide and barrel fit were very tight, no rattles. First 8 rounds were centered but had vertical stringing about 8 to 10 inches. As I burned through 100 rounds things stayed more clustered in the middle. All groups were fired at 25 yards. The last 20 rounds were my own handloads, some with Power Pistol and the last group (pictured) with 800X. My reloads are hot. 180 grain XTPs. 1200+ fps. The 800X loads were the best of all ammo fired.

Attachments

• IMG_2529.jpeg
    IMG_2529.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 27