10mm suggestions

cmdc

I know there are a lot of 10mm pistols available now, so which one/ones would you recommend for general shootability? I will mostly be shooting paper.

Thanks

jmr40

The Glock 20 or 29 are solid choices. If you're not going to carry it the full size G20 is probably the way to go. I've had both in the past and kept the smaller G29. If carried in a holster I have no issue with the lack of a manual safety on a Glock.

But when camping I was never comfortable with a loaded chambered Glock in my sleeping bag. I always left the chamber empty. When Smith came out with the M&P with a 1911 style safety, I bought the 4" compact. It splits the difference in size between the G29 and G20.

Honestly, other than the safety it's a toss-up. If you can live without the safety Glock is fine. But it is important to me, so I sold my Glock. I have and use other Glock pistols, but they are carried in a way where the lack of a safety isn't a problem.

I only use the 10mm's when camping/hiking in bear country and they are loaded with some pretty potent loads from either Double Tap or Buffalo Bore. IMO for 2 legged SD 10mm is more gun than is needed. For that there is no reason to carry anything larger than 9mm or 45 ACP.

I like 10mm and it fills an important role for me. If I rarely or never spent time outdoors in bear country I wouldn't own one. If you're just going to shoot paper it is expensive to shoot. For that I'd just get a full size 9mm.

DavidG.

What else besides shooting paper will you be doing with the pistol? Unless you have an express desire to feel increased recoil getting a 10mm anything for target practice seems like an odd way to waste money on ammunition.

All that being said, I do not like Glocks, except for 10mm Glocks... there are relatively few options for 10 compared to 9. Here in Alaska 10mm Glocks are very popular (for reasons you might easily guess). I have found my G20SF to be accurate, and it has never once failed.

MarkCO

I have 10mm in Glock, 1911 and Revolver. I like them all.

I'd say narrow it down to striker fired, single action, Revolver etc. and you might get more defined answers that help you with your choice.

cmdc

I will also be using the pistol when traversing wilderness areas in the mountain west. I want something that is robust enough to handle real 10mm loads like the afore mentioned BB etc., ammunition

BarryLee

I purchased one just to shoot at the range and chose the GLOCK G20. It works great and is fun to shoot, but sadly doesn't get much use since I enjoy the .45acp and 9mm more.

wild cat mccane

For range paper?

S&W 610. Gives you the fun of a revolver, kinda 357 like fun...best of both words.

I am not a fan of 10mm. Unless you actively try to get hot loads, most range stuff falls exactly within manufactures velocity of 40.

40 in lighter loads is also an option that isn't more expensive. HST 40 is actually really cheap right now too. Almost 10mm range junk round level.

I would take 9mm HST over 10mm loads of any make. But you said range work. So I don't know if 10mm is going to bring you what you want over just regular 40. If we lived in a world where 38.357 was in auto loaders, I would't see the point of 357 IF MOST of the ammunition shot at the range were within 38 levels. Just no gain.

For autos I have considered the M&P and Tanfoglios. Or X-Ten because it has the smaller framed grip that no other has really done.

Good luck!

Skarekrow88

I love my 10mm handguns. I own a Springfield Armory XDM-10 OSP with suppressor height sights and a threaded barrel from the factory. Very pleasant to shoot especially with a suppressor on it. It functions flawlessly even with my massive Silencerco Hybrid 46 but it’s optimal with my Omega 45k. Not to mention it holds 15+1 rounds which is a lot of firepower.

I also own a Glock 29SF and it’s a bit snappy and I occasionally get pinched by the magazine/grip gap but that is to be expected. Not my favorite gun to shoot but it’s quite handy and great for concealed carry. 10+1 in that small package is nice although I usually down-load it to 9+1 because of how stiff the mag springs are. Although I’ve never had a malfunction out of any Glock when the magazine is loaded to capacity with one round in the chamber. It wouldn’t be my first pick for range or woods guns but I’m sure the Glock 20 would be good for that role.

My favorite of my 10mm handguns has to be my Cimarron Bad Boy that I regularly carry with me to my property and it goes with me to my friends properties too in a Hunter Sportsman Bandoleer holster. It’s a great looking handgun especially with the octagon barrel. The design is just downright ingenious. The hammer mounted firing pin is spring loaded and it is safe to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber as the firing pin is only activated by the pulling of the trigger. It also chambers the round on the case mouth which is neat but I’ve always wondered how this design will hold up to a high round count though I’m sure I will be hard pressed to wear out a cylinder. Most importantly it’s super accurate and I shoot it very well. It has easily adjustable rear sights and I recently made consistent hits on a ~6x10” steel silhouette target at my range resting it on a bag with little effort.

Anywho, those are the 10mm handguns I own and have experience with. Can’t really comment much on any others except maybe my brothers Kimber Stainless Target Long Slide. It’s been a good gun for him and it’s a nice looking handgun, when he keeps it clean anyway. Usually I have to clean it for him.

PatientWolf

I’d look at the Glock 40, the Glock 20 or the S&W.

If you don’t mind a little more weight, there are a few decent 1911s that are not outrageous by Springfield and Rock Island, for example. (Palmetto State Armory currently has the RIA on sale)

Ive shot the G40 and G20. I’ve handled and like the trigger on the S&W. 1911s generally have some great triggers.

The only 1911 10mm I’ve shot was an older Thompson. It was very finicky, but I wouldn’t judge other manufacturers by that example.

FrankenMauser

Honestly, if you're just shooting paper and possibly defending from angry rodents, with no desire for competition, just buy the Hi-Point.
You'll save hundreds of dollars that can be put toward ammo (or reloading).

We all hate Hi-Points.
But they work after break-in. And almost nothing can stop them once broken in.

wild cat mccane

Another way to look at it, ask for range ammo recommendation for 10mm and then walk backwards to 40 specs from the same manufacturer.

Per PMC, a normal range ammo, their 40 JHP 165 at 100yrds is going faster than their 10mm FMJ. On ammoseek.com, the JHP ammo is $20 dollars and the FMJ 10mm is $24. Both 50rnd boxes. Their 170gr JHP 10mm is within both 40/10mm FMJ and the 10mm JHP range "stuff" PMC is $16 for 25rnds, so not great ammo becomes $30 for 50 and is within their 40. Eek.

Now we ammoseek 50rnd boxes of both 180gr and 165gr 40 HST--the best ammo you can buy. $24 a box. Better bullet and faster than the PMC JHP range junk. You can literally fire the best bullet in 40 for $5 more than FMJ 10mm range "stuff." You can get FMJ range "stuff" 40 for $5 less than 10mm FMJ. You're range stash is the best defensive ammo available...and you're within dollars of range junk 10mm.

Two solid recommendations for the 610 if you must go 10mm. But in L frame you get the Plus 686, which the 686 being the better buy in my mind. 357 ammo almost all produces the blast that is fun. 10mm, you have to search it out and pay through the gills.

For range exclusive use, the 10mm makes almost no sense. Imagine shooting HST every range session. That's premium ammo. You'd be ahead doing that with HST than 10mm range junk for round quality and blast factor. Not a single thing between you and paper will know you shot a 40 135gr, 150gr, 165gr, 180gr vs a 10mm 200gr. The "fun" factor just isn't there per ammo options.

https://pmcammo.com/product-comparison/

Last edited:

MarkCO

For range exclusive use, the 10mm makes almost no sense. Imagine shooting HST every range session. That's premium ammo.

I'd assert that a LOT of things gun folks do does not make sense. 300WM for Whitetail deer in the East for instance.

I am shooting a lot more .22RF now than I used to. My skills are developed and trigger time, for the most part, is trigger time. I'll go to the range to tune myself up for hunting, with the actual hunting guns, but most of the spring and summer, I am shooting 20g, 22rf, 9mm and .223 at the range. I've had the .41 Mag, 10mm, .260 and 338 out for 10 to 20 rounds each in the last month.

stagpanther

I will also be using the pistol when traversing wilderness areas in the mountain west. I want something that is robust enough to handle real 10mm loads like the afore mentioned BB etc., ammunition
I have several glock 20's in 10mm service, easy to run for the most part--but if "I'm out in the boonies I need it to stop a charging bear at close range and might be lucky to get one or two shots off" I'd get something more robust and reliable than a glock if contemplating full-power 10mm loads. The only striker-fired semiauto hand-gun I've shot forever and never had it choke is a springfield XDM; but I'd seriously consider a double action revolver as an alternative.

wild cat mccane

For sure MarkCo.

Just here, for range, there is no assumption range ammo will ever be not bested by a 40 from the same manufacturer for fun factor.

For fun, a 10mm doing 40 effort...what am I missing that there is nothing of value there? Same pill size, no extra boom. PMC 40 FMJ rounds best PMC JHP 10mm for velocity, and no one is claiming PMC JHP is good. So why in the world shoot $15 JHP PMC 10mm? Then drop in that HST 40 is even cheaper than that junk PMC FMJ...

So...what's our friend getting for range buying anything other than a 610 like we both suggested? He's getting a $5 more a box of 10mm range crap that shoots equal or worse than 40. We can argue 200gr vs 165/180gr...but paper and hand are going to care. I don't see the value. But we both have things for fun. Agreed. I'm missing the fun part of range 10mm though.

MarkCO

So...what's our friend getting for range buying anything other than a 610 like we both suggested? He's getting a $5 more a box of 10mm range crap that shoots equal or worse than 40. We can argue 200gr vs 165/180gr...but paper and hand are going to care. I don't see the value. But we both have things for fun. Agreed. I'm missing the fun part of range 10mm though.

I agree, does not make sense to me either. I am a huge 10mm fan, but if I am shooting full power, I am testing, load development or ensuring function. That's it. Heck, I don't even shoot full power loads competing with them.

However, I keep threatening to shoot my 10mm AR in PCC. 300 Power Factor will wake some folks up. :D

HiBC

If I had more discretionary funding, I would go by a 10mm 1911 or S+W M+P.

Just because. I would not need to justify it . I don't care if it makes sense to you or whether you approve.

While you may enjoy what you like,if I was looking at a wheel gun I'd go 41 Magnum or 44 Magnum. They deliver the power. The rimless cartridges in a revolver (for myself) might be justified by a 9mm police dept supply chain and a DA backup revolver but I don't get the Why? of a 9mm or 10 mm revolver on its own merits.

Its magazine capacity that is the big attraction for a 10mm semiauto. If Yogi wants to gnaw on my leg 17 rds of 200 gr+ bullets at 1200 fps+ from a $650 or so Glock 20 checks a lot of boxes.

True,Jerry M can speed load a DA to rival an M-60 MG but I'm not Jerry M.

I'm better at magazine changes.

Fun? I think bouncing cans with full power 44 magnum is fun.Lots more fun than a 22. But it may not be for you.

If you want to shoot the hard cast Buffalo Bore,etc avoid polygon rifling,which a Glock may have. You can fix it with a Lone Wolf Barrel

Last edited:

MarkCO

The G20 weighs 31 ounces unloaded. The 4" 610 with the unfluted cylinder weighs 53 ounces. The G20 is capable of about 12" groups at 100 yards. The 610 is capable of about 5" groups at 100 yards.

10mm is more available, in many loadings, than the .41 Mag or .44 Mag. I prefer my 657 to my 610 when in the woods, but for plinking, 200 grain slugs at 850 fps from the 610 is a very nice, accurate load, and works for pins too. :)

HiBC

Whatever works for you,Mark.

I don't own a Glock. I just mentioned one because if we need a woods sidearm,a Glock 20 is relatively cheap and it works.

For a sidearm, the weight of the 610 is not attractive. It might help you blow pins off a table. It would make my pants fall down. Or,more likely,I'd carry something else.

Accuracy? OK. Never tested a Glock. A good 1911 can do better than 12 in at 100,by quite a bit. A friend built me a 38 Super that would Ransom about 2 1/2 in a 50 yds.
Which is moot if its about Yogi chewing in your leg.
I don't buy revolver ammo. 44 Magnum brass gives a LOT of loads. More than 10. I have a generous supply of wheel weights and a bunch of H-110.

I load 240's at recommended charges of H-110. Thats all the 44 mag load variety I need . Its worked for me since the early 1970's.
My .44 spl Lipsey is fun for Skeeter loads.

Context is everything.

Last edited: