100 Yards: What's your most accurate rifle, the ammo and group size?

shootbrownelk

My Winchester model 70 stainless classic 30.06 CRF using 150 gr. Barnes TTSX bullets and IMR 4350 or IMR 4064...It shoots minute of antelope, deer and elk lungs @ 100yds.

Hanshi

My old Ruger M77 in .250Sav puts 5 shots in 1/4" to 1/3" with either a 100 grain Speer or Sierra or the 87 grain; both are the spitzer shapes. Using 32 grains of 3031 gives the 100s a little over 2700 fps.

The special edition Remington 700 Classic in .350 Rem Mag gives 3/8" (often less) 5 shot groups at 100 yards. The load is 55 grains of 3031 and the 200 grain Hornady spire point. Velocity is 2704 fps. I have a Kimber of Oregon M82 in .22Hornet that will do well under 1" with 11.0 grains of and a good 40 or 45 grain bullet. All three have killed innumerable deer. The Ruger dates from 1975, the .350 from the mid 1980s (IIRC) and the Hornet dates from the early 1980s.

20170414_174651.jpg

This was a 3 shot group, 100 yards, Cavity Back Bullets MKZ 118 gr. out of my old 6.5 Grendel hunting rifle. I figure it has a bit over 2000 rounds through it. They printed a bit high compared to my Hornady SST 123 gr. factory ammo. Each of the printed squares are 1x1". So I figure my group was about 1/3".

The masking taped square below the impacts contains a chemical handwarmer. That was my target as I was sighting in using a thermal scope.

random guy

Hawg: Custom 1903 A3 30-06. 57 grains of IMR 4350 with a 168 grain Sierra HPBT Match. One hole, no egg shaping, just a neat round .30 caliber hole.

Most of my groups start the same way. I just don't know when to quit.:D

kraigwy

LOL, I'm gonna cheat.

The Army uses a Mann Device to test their ammo. Its a super heavy expensive special made match barrel on a good action, most were Model 1903A3 Actions but for the 5.56 its a Remington action.

The action is laid in a V block system so when its fired if falls back to the bottom of the V, laying in the same spot after each shot. The trigger is pulled remotely so there is no human error involved. The V block set up is pointed toward the target and the rifle (sic) is shot for groups.

I bought one from the CMP, 5.56, on a Remington action 18 inch Kart Barrel.

Like I said, its only for testing ammo and is pretty much useless for every thing else.

And it shoots groups a lot tighter then any thing else I have. I'm talking .18-.20 in groups. Its a heck of a lot of fun to play with. It shows what you end up with when you have more money then brains.

Remington%20700%20action.jpg

2.JPG

Crown.jpg

I put it in a modified stock to seen how it works shooting it like a rifle.

Mann%20in%20stock.JPG

dgludwig

My Ruger No. One Varmint single-shot rifle, chambered in .220 Swift will plant three shots with all holes touching each other @ 100 yards, using Hornady factory ammunition, with some regularity, if the wind is right and I do my part.

UnkBK

Factory correct Smith Corona 03-A3.
684d2f163c8a6cf8bee0405f05bb016f.jpg

1977 Ruger M77V in 220 Weatherby Rocket. 53gr SMK @ 4000FPS. 5 holes touching.

Sporter Smith Corona in .30 Gibbs. .5 inch, 3 shots of 180gr Nosler Solid base @ 3000fps.

ronl

My best ever was .225 using .308 700 SPS. Shot a .363 group two weeks ago as I was breaking in the Savage 12LRP in 6.5CM. That was with American Eagle 140 match factory ammo, so my handloads should tighten that up once I get it dialed in. I think my best should get better once that happens; that is if I can do my part.

SaxonPig

Whenever this topic comes up I think I am doing pretty good with a couple of 1/2" groups I have shot until I read the posts about .11" groups and .00" groups and groups so mall the target owed the shooter a fraction of an inch.

I have never been a competitive shooter and I have never owned any match grade rifles. Most days I am a mediocre marksman at best. But a couple times I managed to shoot meaningless three shot groups that made me happy even though they would sorely disappoint a majority of others on the Internet.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Hand loaded 270 win cartridge. 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip._ 57.3 gr. IMR 4350. 3200 fps.__ 100 yards. Dead center of a postage stamp.
Remington 700 Mtn Rifle. (Early model.) Timney trigger install. Leupold Vari -X 3.__3.5 -10 powder. Leupold rings & 2 pc Leupold mount.

Dime size hole all day long.~~~ If there are no wind gusts.

Correction: Quarter size hole hole all day long. (I ain't that good. >No Dime size holes here:eek:)

Last edited:

random guy

Whenever this topic comes up I think I am doing pretty good with a couple of 1/2" groups I have shot until I read the posts about .11" groups and .00" groups and groups so mall the target owed the shooter a fraction of an inch.

:D Yeah it's easy to always want more but I think it's healthy to ask yourself, given a rifle that will pour shot after shot into a half inch, what exactly are you going to shoot at that that rifle will not hit? I suppose 400yd ground squirrels would be iffy. And competition is a whole different mentality but I believe the military's standard for precision rifles is 1 MOA. For practical purposes anything more is icing on the cake.

TXAZ

Randomguy noted:
Yeah it's easy to always want more but I think it's healthy to ask yourself, given a rifle that will pour shot after shot into a half inch, what exactly are you going to shoot at that that rifle will not hit? I suppose 400yd ground squirrels would be iffy. And competition is a whole different mentality but I believe the military's standard for precision rifles is 1 MOA. For practical purposes anything more is icing on the cake.

There are some SWAT teams that need, and shoot 2" at 600+ yards in life / death situations.

darkgael

Two groups:
Ten shots, iron sights, Prone, AR15 69 grain Sierra and 25 grains RL-15.

Three shots. Iron sights, benched, Lyman GPR Flintlock, .490 LRB, 0.010" patch, 90 grains FFg Goex:

random guy

There are some SWAT teams that need, and shoot 2" at 600+ yards in life / death situations.

IMHO such an attempt would end badly most of the time and most marksmen would decline. I wouldn't give a nickle for the chances of consistently making such a cold shot even under range conditions.

SIGSHR

Not much of a rifle shot, a few years ago I bench rested one of my SIG SHR 970s in 270 Winchester, got 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. In 1979 on a Fall afternoon
in fading light I fired at 100 yards a 1.5" group out of my 1978 Winchester M70 XTR with GI ammo and iron sights.

Mike38

Now don't anyone laugh, too hard anyhow. My most accurate rifle is a NEF Handi Rifle heavy barrel in .223. I paid $200 for it about 20 years ago. Gives 0.5 to 0.6 inch five shot groups at 100 yards. Once, I got 0.44 inch group with it, but the planets must have been aligned just right that day because I've never been able to repeat it. This is with my reloads using CFE223 powder and 52 grain A-Max bullets.

Hammerhead

Don't own any good centerfire bolt guns anymore, so the best group of my current guns is 1-1/8" @ 100 yds with my CZ Scout .22lr and Sk Standard+, just edging out my 30-30 Handi rifle's 1-1/4" group with a handload of a 110 grain Sierra Pro Hunter SP over 21 grains H4198.

Satisfying accuracy from budget guns.

ShootistPRS

I believe the most accurate rifle group at 100 yards was from my 358 using 158 grain pistol bullets. The gun is a Remington 700, 24" heavy target Douglas premium barrel, Timney Hunter trigger in a standard Remington stock. The load was a LC brass, 4064 powder, WWLRP andthe Sierra 158 grain JHP. The group was a 5 shot group that measured .300" from center to center. The average group with that load is .330" and the average 20 round aggregate group is .407". I have a couple of newer rifles that I think will shoot groups smaller than that but the load development is going slow. I have too much going on...