100 Yards: What's your most accurate rifle, the ammo and group size?

TXAZ

Just curious about what size 3 shot groups you guys can consistently shoot at 100 yards, What rifle you're using and what ammo.

Dufus

I don't shoot 3 shot groups as they are meaningless to me.

But, the best 10 shot groups I have shot are 5/16 C to C with a 30-06 in 1903 Springfield.

Second best 10 shot group is with a 222 Rem in a M788 that I have done some work on. It will hold 3/8" C to C.

I have been shooting for a little over 60 years, so these cover a lot of ground.

I forgot to add that I have a Model 70 from the early 70s that will shoot a 10 shot 9/16" C to C group at 200 yards.

Last edited:

g.willikers

I don't shoot groups of any size.
Way too boring, frustrating and rarely indicative of real world shooting, other than maybe bench rest contests.
Even then, at any distance, other factors are probably more important to success.
But my most accurate 100 yard rifle is a .22 rimfire, by far.
Probably doesn't say much for the rest of my rifles, does it? :eek:

T. O'Heir

Smaller than a dime size group(3 shot clover leaf) with my 1903A4 using Hornady 168 grain Match bullets and IMR4064. Off a bench on a good day.

mikejonestkd

I have 3 rifles that will shoot .5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards if I do my part.

Two are remington 700 VSSFs -one in 223 and the other in 22-250
The third rifle is a weatherby SVM in .223.

I have a few others that can shoot .5" 3 shot groups if the planets are in alignment. realistically they are more like .75" performers

Guv

I have an old Mossberg 810 30-06 with a 30mm Tasco Euro Class 1.5X6 scope that will do under .5" @ 100yds for 3 shots (165gr Speer BTSP & IMR 4350). This bench accuracy sure helps me with confidence when actually hunting, if I miss, it's me.

Steve in PA

Savage 12FV in .223.

It will shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards all day using handloaded 55gr Hornady Vmax and H335.

I've also shot a 3-shot, 1 hole group at 100 yards with the same rifle using handloaded Hornady 75gr BTHP. Not sure if I was using H335 or Varget.

Minorcan

An older Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 usually gets in a quarter to 50 cent piece sized hole. But at 61 that's the best my old eyes can do. :eek:

Picher

I generally shoot at 100 yards for groups, but sometimes do so at 200 meters, but our range is often too windy for shooting good groups that far.

I have several rifles that I've worked over which will shoot 1/4" 5-shot groups, if conditions are right, with handloads. I shoot very few factory CF rifle rounds.

My .270 Rem 700 CDL Stainless-fluted will group under 1/2" consistently. Love to shoot that rifle, which is in a stiff Stocky's Ultra Walnut stock, pillar-bedded and free-floated. The stock has two laminations of Carbon Fiber running full-length. The rifle also has a Timney Trigger, set for 3 lbs. Scope is a 3-9X Leupold VX2.

jmr40

I don't shoot much at 100 anymore after getting zero dialed in. I usually go straight to 200 or 300 after that.

My Winchester 70 EW and Ruger Predator have both proven to be the most consistent with a wide range of ammo. This is a 200 yard group under 1" that is pretty common with either rifle.

Best 3 shot group ever:

Kimber 84 in 308. This is truly a perfect example of luck. This rifle is accurate enough, but other than this one time when everything just lined up right it has never shot as well as the Winchester or Ruger.

If you require 5 shots I have a Ruger American Compact with 18" barrel that consistently puts 5 rounds of quality 223 ammo well under 1". I don't know that I've ever actually measured one of them, but a dime will usually cover all 5 holes.

Berserker

If you don't shoot groups how to sight in a rifle? Just assume that one shot was good? How about testing ammo or hand loads?

For testing a gun, and barrel walking, IMO you should atleast shoot two back to back. Granted I have been lucky, and one has been enough, I don't let my ego get in the way. Some guns 3rd shot will open up a bit some night.

Some long range hunters, only do 1 cold barrel shot for testing. But you are shooting at the same spot for testing, so even if hour apart, they are still a group

At some point you are testing your set up for repeatability whether you want to call that a group or not.

NHSHOOTER

I will have to say my best group was just 2 weeks ago, 3 shots with my ruger hawkeye VT @ 100yds, 3 in 1 hole. That rifle which I have only had about a month is amazing It consistently shoot 5 under 3/8". My new browning xbolt in 7-08 will put 3 under 1/2" at 100 all day long and I agree, I shoot groups to see how well the rifle shoots and then come to hunting, if its a miss, its me. All the rifles I own shoot under and inch at 100, the ones listed I have shot most recently.

Scorch

I am not a great group shooter, but I can be fairly good. I built a Remington Model 7 heavy varmint rifle in 223 last year, and it shoots .220" 10-shot groups with Hornady 68 gr BTHP over W748.

random guy

I don't usually shoot 3 shots but it makes sense for light barreled guns. Here is one from my old Ruger No.1 .375 H&H:
http://s107.photobucket.com/user/hvap90/media/Shooting/375 HampH.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Probably the best grouper I have now is a 700SPS Varmint .308:
http://s107.photobucket.com/user/hvap90/media/Shooting/Nov208.jpg.html?sort=3&o=50

This was shot with the cheap plastic factory stock. POA was the square below the bull. I made the target to give me a long range zero but can't recall the "dead on" range. She's right on though. Haven't had it out in a while.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Ruger 77 Mk II, 1997 vintage. .223. Not picky about ammo. Reliably half-MOA for five shots.

Sako L579 carbine, pre-Garcia, .243. 85-grain Sierra HPBT. Three behind a dime.

Wby Mk V, '06, 1971 vintage. Reliably around 3/4 MOA. Last 3-shot group with 180-grain Sierra SPBT, 0.4 MOA.

DPI7800

My best was a.254" group at 200 yards. That one was also the most rewarding because it was my buddies Remington 700 LTR in .308 and he was having some consistency issues with it. So I grabbed it and crammed 3 rounds of factory Hornady 168gr TAP and dropped down prone and sent them down range. Then we went to check the target and looked at him and said looks like the problem is the loose nut behind the trigger.

I had that target for years utill my boss threw it away one day. Really ticked me off, he was having one of his D-head days, that day and apparently didn't find it funny when I moved into his office.

Picher

Over 50 years ago, I forgot to clean the bore of my .22-250 Rem 700 after varmint season and had propped it next to metal sanitary stack in the walk-in closet. When I decided to check it in the spring, I could barely see through barrel, due to corrosion. I was sick about it.

A rod wouldn't go through it, so had to plug the bore and put solvent and oil in it for a few days. When I finally got a rod through it and looked at the bore, it was severely pitted.

I quickly put a few handloads together and drove to the range, where I put up a target at 200 yards, then went to the firing line and laid prone without a rest. I expected the bullets to tumble and probably miss the target.

To my amazement, I fired a 5-shot group that measured 5/8". The worst thing was that I couldn't remember the load I'd put together a few days before and didn't even have any left.

I shot that rifle for a few months, but sold it to a guy who didn't care about the bore, then got a new one.

garyhan

My Cooper Montana Varminter in .204 Ruger has repeatedly shot in .250. I have Sako L579 with Douglas premium barrel in .22/250, a Thompson Center Contender carbine with an MGM barrel in .17 fireball, and Winchester M70 with a Pac Nor barrel in .257 Wby Mag: all of which are good for .375. All ammo was factory: Hornady 32 gr for the .204, Remington 20 gr in the Fireball, Weatherby 100 gr in the .257.

gary

Last edited:

Don Fischer

I think my most accurate right now is my 6.5x06 on a Rm 700. Got a new Mossberg that's pushing it awful hard though, 243!

Hawg

Custom 1903 A3 30-06. 57 grains of IMR 4350 with a 168 grain Sierra HPBT Match. One hole, no egg shaping, just a neat round .30 caliber hole.