Your leadership of S&W

Bogie

It should be a residue-rich environment... With peer pressure and corrective therapy in the event someone is lacking...

CortJestir

8 Steps to a Better Smith and Wesson

What would I do if I were CEO of S&W? Implement a change management effort at the highest levels of the organization - something similar to the 8 steps below which I had the fortunate experience to be a part of in a Global 1000 company:

1. Identify the critical issues facing the organization - both external influences and internal influences

2. Create 5-6 strategic objectives that address these critical issues

3. Assign metrics to each of these strategic objectives

4. Define the long-term (2-3 years) strategies that the company must undertake to hit those strategic objectives

5. Define the short-term actions (6 months to 1-year) that work towards putting those long-term strategies in place

6. Implement 5-6 project teams at the VP - Director level. Each project addresses or maps to one of the strategic objectives above. Additionally each project should have some impact on the bottom line - either generating revenue or cutting costs. At the same time, leadership opportunities should be presented to all project participants so that the organization can start to build an internal leadership engine.

7. After 120 days, assess the projects and their implementation. What worked? What didn't work? Go back to step 1 to realign the framework to address the new and present reality.

8. Repeat ad infinitum.

Now, I realize this is very high-level, but that's typically the level at which CEOs and executives think. The issues around product (e.g. internal lock), market needs, responding to regulators, etc. all work themselves out if they are part of the critical issues facing the organization.

sholling

Bogie,
No idea what you are talking about in your last 2 posts.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this.

Bogie said:
I'd cut the NASCAR crap first...

The locks second.

I'd start up a spinoff brand for "entry level" firearms.

I'd hype the "custom shop" stuff, and make sure it really -is- custom shop.

I'd implement a program, similar to the drug testing crap, where random employees are spot-checked with the paraffin test for powder residue.

Do it in public, in the lunchroom, and everyone, from CEO down to Janitor, has a chance of getting picked.

They get three strikes.
  • NASCR is great advertising for a hunting demographic.
  • Spinning off budget firearms would kill their sales.
  • The Custom Shop stuff really is...
  • So you want to fire everybody that works for S&W that shoots on their own time? That's everyone. :rolleyes:
zxcvbob said:
Apologize to gun owners for selling us out with that (Clinton?)settlement,
That was the previous owners of S&W - NOT the current company.

zxcvbob

Originally Posted by zxcvbob
Apologize to gun owners for selling us out with that (Clinton?)settlement,

That was the previous owners of S&W - NOT the current company.

Doesn't matter. A lot of gun owners are still boycotting S&W (search for "Smith & Wesson must die", with the quotation marks.) Apology doesn't cost them anything, then takes steps to get the settlement thrown out to show they mean it.

[Maybe Bogie wants to fire everyone who *doesnt* shoot. Makes a little more sense that way :)]

Last edited:

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Well, I think S&W needs to stick to Nascar sponsorship. Advertising is advertising and even if you don't like NASCAR, NASCAR is HUGE. Down in the south, it's a religeon.

I was thinking at first, drop the SIGMA line. Then I remembered the large contracts overseas for SIGMA 9mm's. Why drop that just because some internet forum guys don't like SIGMA's?
They now have those wonderful X frame revolvers. Huge, Brutal, but almost a *****cat to shoot. I LOVE the .460. I think it is just about the greatest revolver cartridge EVER. For those that don't like it - you probably haven't actually shot it. We had a factory range day out here, where you could try any gun you wanted. The .460 we had on hand was being fired constantly, all day long. It never got a rest. People, even women shooters - absolutely loved that .460 and we had people coming back just to shoot it agiain, or coming back to bring friends to shoot it. We had .357's that kicked harder... but they didn't shatter rock like the .460 did.
S&W should push that more. And Thompson Center is now making a version of the Encore in that round. That is FANTASTIC. A Revolver-Carbine combination? Perfect for hunting big game in thick brush country.
S&W Hunting division is a bit weak? PROMOTE IT! Do it with advertising and not in giving away 50 buck rebates with each gun sold. Instead, give away a holster or gun back or throw in a sling and other stuff that adds value to the sale and gives the customer something they can use rather than just a Rebate check.
I don't think S&W needs to change anything - I think they just need to try harder.

Bogie

No, campers... If they test negative for powder residue, that's a negative...

If they test negative three times, that means they haven't been shooting enough.

Find someone who is a gunny to do the job.

HiBC

Bogie,I appreciate you being a gunny,but PO Ackley found his shop worked best with non-gunny women just doing a very good job at what they were trained to do,and asked to do.
He explained the gunny guys always had a project under the bench,and that is where their mind was.
I will agree that the folks setting the direction need to be inspired.I don't think John M Browning had focus panels and market surveys.He just built an idea.I don't think market surveys would have created the Beatles.
Or carbine Williams short stroke gas system.
Those guys driving the boat need to be shooters.
The folks drilling the side plates need to be very good at making holes in the right place,the right size,etc.
A line made of gunnies may not help stock prices at all.

HiBC

Tell you what,I'll spend all my money on S+W stock if you can just get Clint Eastwood to make a Rowdy Yates /Man With No Name /Dirty Harry and Reba MacIntire take on the next Tremors mutants with a .500 Smith X-Gun movie.
Of course,we'll need his mule...
Maybe Spaghetti Western Zombies .Better get Elvira,too.

Ah ooo ah oo ah,wah wah wah...dum dum ding ding ding....

I'll bet you are wondering if I load 4 rounds or five....

Improvise,adapt,overcome

Blondie!! You Ah oo wah oo wahh!!

BillCA

I have to give CortJestir credit for thinking "outside the box" that we normally see in forums. But what's lacking are examples of what internal & external influences are at work. (or even suppositions on them).

I'll give some food for thought here.
Push S&W's metal forging supply business in high-quality arenas - aerospace and high-availabilty equipment suppliers for example, where cost is secondary to performance. Also leverage their MIM production for smaller parts to supply parts to other businesses.

There are three types or levels of guns people buy. A basic gun for defense (e.g. 442, 910), a moderate priced gun for hunting, competition/target or defense (e.g. 686, 627) or a premium gun with the extra workmanship.

-- What sells?
From the comments on this and other forums, the 442 is a hot seller, the 686 series remains popular and the 1911s are good sellers. In LE circles the M&P is their bread & butter it appears and they've have a lot riding on it. Their small-medium sized autos like the 3913, 910 and similar pistols move relatively well.

-- Basic Guns
The basic all-purpose guns seem to be disappearing in favor fanciful guns. A basic M64 in a sandblast finish should be available at low margin prices. A simple but robust .22LR autoloader for a training gun (Why they dropped the 422 is beyond me). Keep the 908/910, plus the 3913/4013 and 457 models for basic CCW. All the stainless guns should be a matte beadblast finish (robotics?).

-- Update the 1911 series
Adding a 9mm 1911Sc for carry. A steel 10mm, 40 S&W and .38 Super would bring some attention too.

I'd like to see them produce a big bore, fixed sight fighting revolvers for .45 & .44 Special with round butts and an option of a 3" or 4" barrel. These would fill a niche for both CCW and home defense revolvers.

Premium guns would be more handfitted, with action jobs, high polish (blue or stainless) and could be combined with "factory options" (see below) and include a factory letter of authenticity.

S&W might use the custom shop to increase profits by offering customization services. At one time, S&W's catalog included a list of options for ordering a revolver. You had a choice of barrel lengths, triggers, hammers, sights, grips, finishes, etc.

Do you want a 3-inch 627 with a narrow smooth trigger, wide hammer, a Baughman red ramp front and a white outline rear in a bright polished stainless? Or do you want your 1911 with a low profile hammer, smooth trigger, flared magwell and night-sights? It may take months to get it, but you get just what you wanted.

They could offer about 4-8 specialty "rollmarks" for the sides of wheelguns and autos. You could have your choice of rollmarks on your sideplate or slide - a "presented to" banner, a 7-point star, a shield, American flag, a buffalo, elk, mountain lion, wolf, or bald eagle. You get the idea. Add custom engraving at $1.50 per letter. :p

gb_in_ga

My thinking is along the lines of BillCA's. They do need to go back to doing what made them great in the first place. Yes, contracting out forging for other projects makes sense, but I would make it a "side business", not to interfere with the core business of making quality handguns.

There are three types or levels of guns people buy. A basic gun for defense (e.g. 442, 910), a moderate priced gun for hunting, competition/target or defense (e.g. 686, 627) or a premium gun with the extra workmanship.
They need to frame this and hang it in their board room. All 3 need to be addressed, and yet this leaves much room for paring down the product line. BTW -- paring down the product line is critical to regaining profitability.

A simple but robust .22LR autoloader for a training gun (Why they dropped the 422 is beyond me).
Agreed. I've got one, it is a gem, even though it does look kinda odd. As for why they dropped it in favor of the model 22x? Cost of manufacture, as I understand it. The model 422/622/2206 line was just too expensive to produce at a profit and yet keep it at the desired price point.

Have they considered moving all or part of their operations down south into a lower tax, right-to-work state? Lower the cost of doing business.