Your favourite grips?

Silvanus

As the title says, I'm wondering what grips everybody prefers? I'm looking for some new ones to replace the stock target grips on my S&W model 19-4. I'm not sure if I want finger grooves or not.

I was thinking about a nice set of Nill grips or perhaps this one : http://www.midwaydeutschland.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=210695

The price shouldn't be higher than the Nills, but I'm open to all suggestions. If you have any pictures of your revolvers with a pair of nice grips, feel free to post them ;)

Gapper 1

Grips for S&W

Hello Silvanus; ....... Take a look at (www.ahrendsgripsusa.com) or (www.topgunsupply.com) they both specialize in S&W grips including conversion grips (round to square). I think you will find what your looking for. I will be buying a set of "Ahrends Grips" for a S&W mod.10 2" very soon. Good hunting!!! :D Gapper 1

Last edited:

Microgunner

I'm not sure if I want finger grooves or not.

I've wasted hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars on after market grips over the years and come to a couple of conclusions. I hate finger position grips and quality firearms usually come with well designed grios that don't need changed. Of course there are extreme exceptions. I now save my money for more firearms, range time and ammo.

Gapper 1

Your favorite grips?

I have to agree with Micrgunner. I don't like "finger grooves".
I have average size hands and most "from factory" grips are fine for me. I find S&W oversized grips are for shooters with hands like the great "Bill Jordan" who had hams for hands!!!:D I usually switch grips to improve the looks of a gun as long as it doesn't affect my hold and marksmanship. Take Care over there!!
Gapper 1.

Silvanus

quality firearms usually come with well designed grips that don't need changed

This one didn't. I don't want to change the grip to make it look better or something. I really hate the way it feels. It hurts my fingers and my grip shifts during recoil.

Microgunner

Those are my favorite grips for K and L framed S&W revolvers. But if they don't work for you they just don't work. The Bill Jordan designed grips feel very nice. You might want to look into them. Worst aftermarket grips ever IMO, Pachmayrs.

Archie

Revolver grips

The Smith & Wesson target revolver grips are almost right. They're better than either the service or magna grips, but still fall short.

My favorite are the Herrett's Shooting Stars. No finger grooves and light checkering. Since I have small hands, I prefer the exposed backstrap configuration.

The Roper configuration grips are also very good and fit well.

stevieboy

For function (not for appearance!!!!) my favorites are, in the following order:

1. Uncle Mike's combat grips; and

2. Hogue rubber monogrips

You can buy the Uncle Mike's in round butt configuration from Smith. Unfortunately, Uncle Mike's has stopped making grips and the square butt version is increasingly difficult to find.

The Hogue monogrips are everywhere; they'll cost you $20 - $25 a set and are extremely effective, if ugly.

Both the Uncle Mike's and the Hogues soak up recoil better than any wooden grips. They also have a somewhat thinner profile than wooden grips. Whether that suits you depends on your personal taste. I find that, when shooting in calibers higher than .22, my accuracy improves appreciably when I use either the Uncle Mike's or the Hogues. And, I care far more about that than about the appearance of the gun.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
pimpmyglock.gif

The Saab1911 customs. :D

He doesn't make them for a revolver yet.:mad:;)

GUNKWAZY

I love finger grooves.

Hogue Kingwood

short696.jpg

Hogue Lamo Camos

short686.jpg

Hogues

short66.jpg

A little bit of Everything...

grips2.jpg

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

tplumeri

The price shouldn't be higher than the Nills

is that price in euros or marks?

ignore the ugly commander, the python has laminate "silverwood" grips. about $50US
tom

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2008_0901knives0016.JPG
    2008_0901knives0016.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,278

LHB1

My favorite grips for S&W K/L/N frame guns, especially the .44 mag's, are Herrett's Jordan Trooper style with closed backstraps. The wood fully encloses the backstrap and eliminates the frame offset that beats the **** out of my hand. These grips totally remove the HURT from shooting full power .44 Mag ammo in S&W N frames (for me). They are made to fit a diagram of your shooting hand and are available with or without finger grooves. I have six pair, all without finger grooves.

Casimer

My favorite are the Herrett's Shooting Stars.

+1 - These are my favorite as well. I've got them on my K and J frames and have a set coming for my N frame.

They're pricey if purchased new, but you can often find them used or NOS on eBay.

drail

I used Hogues for many years because they pretty much require you to grip the gun exactly the same every time you pick it up. It places the hams of your hands closer together than any other design. Unfortunately, hands come in many sizes and the Hogue design can't cover them all. I still prefer them for competition use though. I have a S&W 696 that I bought in 97 that came with some funky Uncle Mike's grips ( with finger grooves) that I immediately changed to Hogues. Recently I put the Uncle Mike's back on and have decided that for my hand on the L frame grip they are just about perfect. I still think they're ugly but on that Smith they work real well. You won't know until you put it in YOUR hand and shoot it.

CraigC

quality firearms usually come with well designed grips that don't need changed

That's a crock. If it were true, there wouldn't be such a huge aftermarket grip industry. A properly fitted grip, both to shooter and sixgun, can make a world of difference and they almost never come from the factory. The later model S&W checkered target grips are particularly terrible.

For me, Hogue's are okay and Ahrends' are better. What has been shown to have no equal (for me!) is the Roper design from Herrett's and the Skeeter Skelton style from BluMagnum. Which reminds me, I need to order two more pairs.

WESHOOT2

blah blah blah

I shoot my guns best with them wearing Pachmayr Decelerators.
So that's what they wear.

Too bad, 'cause they ugly.....

wnycollector

My favorite grip is a pair of sub $10 sile rubber finger groove's I got from CDNN. I can shoot doubletap 125gr .357's from my security six with zero problems...these things soak up most of the felt recoil! They are also compact, thus helping concealability!

cdnn_2017_16070672

The only drawback is that THEY ARE SUPER UGLY!

Last edited:

Tom2

I love pretty wood grips but for normal shooting I put the Uncle Mikes rubber grips on K frames and J frames. They are the only finger groove grips that I can really tolerate. Hogues don't get it for me for some reason. Maybe because they lack coverage of the backstrap. Well you can find Uncle Mikes used, old stock, or buy them on ebay. I like to dress up the guns with fancy wood sometimes but the U.M. get put on for shooting. And they are not as bulky as those factory S&W grips at all, and less so than some Pachmayrs.

pogo2

Ahrends or Badger

On S&W revolvers I prefer Ahrends or Badger grips, both with finger grooves. I find the finger grooves make checkering unnecessary, as they adhere well to my hand. Here are a couple of examples:

SW19-5DSS32.jpg

SW66-345.jpg