YOUR FAVORITE WALKING VARMINTER lots of pics!

j.chappell

So, I was just wondering what everyone used as their walking varminter.

Mine is my favorite Weatherby; West German Weatherby Mark V VarmintMaster in 224 WBY MAG. It is a scaled down Mark V action with a slim 24" barrel, full length pillar bedded, Talley bases and rings, and a Leupold VX III 2.5-8x36mm. The whole thing weighs in at 7.6lbs.

While it may not be the tack driver that my other varminters are it easily turns in 5/8"-3/4" groups @ 100 yards with factory ammunition, handloads a little better. This little cartridge basically duplicates 22-250 REM ballistics in a smaller case.

So here are a few photos I hope everyone chimes in with their favorites!

J.

007.jpg

008.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

017.jpg

021.jpg

Scorch

Nice Varmintmaster. You don't see very many around. As for the "basically duplicates 22-250 REM ballistics in a smaller case" deal, reality is a bummer.

Here's my walking varminter. Mark X mini-Mauser in 223. It's a solid MOA performer, and a great rifle for carrying and shooting.
MiniMauser.jpg

Attachments

• MiniMauser.jpg
    MiniMauser.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 11

j.chappell

Reality is a bummer, not really. I have loaded that little round to near 22-250 velocites in 40, 50, and 55 grain bullets. Its not that far off at all. The 250 can gain around a 100+fps or so but thats not that bad when a bullet is already moving 3600-3900fps.

J.

Nice rifle, who did your woodwork?

8t6gt

Heres my Howa 22-250. It shoots real well IMO and ill second the best rifle for the money out there on these
IMG00134.jpg

Im saving for a Mueller 4-16X50 mil-dot Tactical scope. With illuminated retical

j.chappell

I've been thinking of getting a Howa, Weatherby Vanguard, or CZ in a 204 or 223, just havent decided yet on cartridge or rifle. I dont really need another I just thought I might want another, lol.

J.

8t6gt

I thought about getting a 204 but decided on the 22-250 first. If you already got a 22-250 or .223 I would get a 204. But the 204 didnt appeal to me because of the little bullet and ive heard some problems with people shooting factory loads with them at a distance. Just heard that they dont stabilize well at long distances with a 32 grain Hornady V-max. But I guess the 40 grain is ok. 20 cal bullets just arent my cup of tea. Just my .02. But since you already got that 224 wby mag I say go for it and tell us how you like it!

Scorch

Nice rifle, who did your woodwork?
I did. I worked as a gunsmith in a shop for 4 years and have been building rifles as a hobby for 20+ years.

I really like the 224 Weatherby Varmintmaster, it is a solid performer and typically very accurate. It has the same problem as other Weatherby rounds, i.e. the brass and/or ammo is very expensive. It was introduced to replace the 220 Rocket and had the same problem as the 225 Winchester trying to live up to its big brother. Then Remington standardized the 22-250. Pretty much put the nails in the 224's coffin.

j.chappell

This is one of my 243WIN varminters it is another Weatherby MK V in a Super VarmintMaster, this is the single shot version, Krieger barrel, Talley rings and bases, and a Leupold Vari-X II fixed 12x.

J.

243WBY.jpg

243SVM2.jpg

243SVM.jpg

j.chappell

Scorch,

Nice job!

You are right about the cost of brass.

I wanted a 224 forever. There was a local shop that had 2. One was $600 and the other $650. I looked at them all the time but I didnt have the money back then to even put one on layaway. They sat in that shope for close to 5 years till their prices were $1000 and $1150, then one day they were gone.

I figured that I would never own one. Then while I was looking around on auctionarms a few years back I came across this one with a buy it now of $650! It had just been listed and I was the 3rd person to look at it, I hit buy it now so hard I almost broke my mouse!

The shop that had the two I looked at for so long still had a bunch of old ammunition. I bought all that he had for $20 a box. I was able to get 6 boxes from him. Six boxes now would cost a small fortune.

I was amazed at the accuracy with such a slim barrel even before I had it bedded. It is such a handy little rifle, it reminds me of some of the German customs my uncles friend owns. They are all much slimmer (action and all) and slicker than anything you can get here in the states.

I only wish Weatherby still made an action of that scale.

EAJ702,

How does that CZ shoot? I have been thinking of getting a CZ in 223. I'm just not sure if I want a varminter or a sporter.

J.

EAJ702

I’ve been very happy with it and surprised by it’s accuracy with factory loads.

Tight groups with Black Hills V-Max 60 grain and MOA with inexpensive Sellier & Bellot 55grain FMJ, at 100 yards, which really surprised me.

At 7.5 lb it is very manageable in the field.

• Action: Micro Length, Bolt Action Centerfire
• Receiver Dovetail: 16mm
• Barrel Length: 24"
• Overall Length OA: 41.5"
• LOP: 13.5"
• Weight: 7.5 lb.
• Barrel Rate of Twist: 1:9
• Barrel: Heavy, Tapered (.99" -.71"), Hammer Forged, Chrome Moly Match, Recessed Target Crown, Free-Floated, Matte Blue
• Magazine Capacity: 5 Steel
• Safeties: Bolt & Firing Pin Block Safety
• Stock: H-S Precision Kevlar (Black w/ Green Webbing), Aluminum Bedding Block, Beavertail Forend, Studs & Rubber Recoil Pad
• Trigger: Single Set, Adjustable
• Butler Creek Comfort Stretch 1" Sling, Black (modification)
• Harris Bipod 6-9" (BR) (modification)
• Weaver 6-20x40mm AO Grand Slam Riflescope w/ Butler Creek FO Covers (modification)
• CZ Rings, Medium (.555") (modification)

Last edited:

bobn

mine is a marlin lever in 218 bee. scope is a 2.5 to 8 scopechief. i also wish i got one of the 221 fireball remington bolts before they were dropped. i prefer quiet for my walking varmits. bobn

j.chappell

I don’t have a Bee but I do have a Bullberry Custom Contender in 221. I love that little gun. I'll see about getting some pics of it, it’s pretty neat as I had a mesquite stock set made for it.

J.

nate45

Scorch said:
I did. I worked as a gunsmith in a shop for 4 years and have been building rifles as a hobby for 20+ years.

Nice stock.

Did you also do the checkering? I do pretty good wood work even inlays, but I never could get the hang of checkering, I always had to pay some one else to do it.:(

Scorch

Did you also do the checkering?
Yes, I did the all the work. That rifle has 18lpi wrap-around checkering on the pistol grip and foreend. And cocobolo foreend and pistol grip caps.

Soulpony

For walking around, I like my TC 223, topped with a 3x12 Sightron. It started life as a super 14, if you look real close you will see by the arrow where I had the barrel extended to convert it to a rifle.

tc.jpg