Your favorite target caliber?

jhansman

Well, since last here I've been looking at 243 Winchester. Now I think I'll read up on 270 Win as well. I'm thinking "reasonable recoil" is a relative term; at 71 and dealing with an arthritic shoulder that's already had surgery, I'm gonna stay on the lighter side. Thanks for all the suggestions. Waiting for my range to open back up...... :(

bamaranger

.22 lr, .........+1

Another vote for a decent, adult .22. By that I mean something along the lines of a Ruger 77/22, or a CZ. My 77/22 is by far the rifle I shoot the most, is more accurate than I am, and runs flawlessly. I have a Savage bolt heavy barrel that will shoot tighter groups, but the magazine is a pain and the rifle does not feed consistently.

All I did to the 77/22 was to add an aftermarket sear.

TBM900

I favor .223 at 100 yds, but I'm considering adding to it to fend off boredom. This would be a bolt gun; not looking for a sore shoulder and would like to keep it under $750 if that is realistic these days (last rifle I bought was a 10/22 a few years back). I'd want to reload, but that's a different thread. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

And now for something completely different...

77/357
It meets all of your criteria and then some :cool:

Fun
Bolt
Soft shooting
Under $750
Easy to reload

They can be surprisingly accurate if you put in the effort
38/357 is fun and easy and can be relativly inexpensive to reload
A $20 Lee Classic reloader + 77/357 will make a lazy afternoon fly by
Makes a great all around do everything gun... Target, Plinking, Hunting, Defense, Training, Etc

Another different but fun option...

7.62x39 Bolt Action
Fun
Soft shooting
Relatively inexpensive
You can reload but why bother ;)
A number of great platform options to choose from

Bart B.

Well, Bart, at 100 yds they shoot 3/8" - 1/2".
With 40 shots?

What ammo?

From what position?

I ask because the USA NRA 100 yard prone with scope open 400-40X + records shot before 1980 still stand with a 1 inch X ring. Most at 50 yards, too, with a .391" X ring.

I suspect you're using the smallest few-shot groups as the accuracy claim. That's been popular for decades.

Last edited:

Jim Watson

I think that if you are limited to 100 yards, none of the other things recommended will stave off boredom very well. Maybe a .22 LR in the breeze. I'd recommend a nice Highwall .38-55 or .32-40 for something entirely different but doubt you can get one for $750.

std7mag

I'm not seeing where the OP stated that they were limited to 100 yards. :confused:

OP also stated bolt action and expressed a desire to get into reloading. Therein the 260 Rem would be the better choice over the 6.5 CM.

Personally, for the OP's desires, and budget constraints, a Savage 12FV (or 12 VT) with anything based off the 308 family would be my choice.
Or the OP could visit their local gun shop and look for a used heavy barrel. Lets them possibly have more money to spend on good optics.

To keep the boredom down, search your local area for some club shooting matches!
UBR, Groundhog, and Deer matches have proven fun & interesting to me.

Also note that Savage generally have generous magazine length, allowing longer, heavier match type bullets to be seated out, thereby negating any advantages the 6.5 CM would have over the 260 Rem.

Last edited:

Rockrivr1

Therein the 260 Rem would be the better choice over the 6.5 CM.

Why is that? There are plenty of recipes and components available for the 6.5CM. It's not any different to reload 6.5cm then any other caliber.

Jim Watson

Perhaps I misinterpreted, he said he "favored a .223 at 100 yards."
If there is more range available, 600 yards will really knock down the boredom and he won't even have to buy a new rifle.

std7mag

Rockrivr1,

The reasoning for 260 Rem over 6.5CM form a bolt action, is the original design intent of the 6.5CM.
The CM was designed for midrange match shooters (ie 600 yards) to load the long, heavy match bullets within the confines of an AR10 magazine length.
Take those confines out of the equation, and the 260 Rem is the betterr choice.

Had the OP asked about an AR platform, i would have recommended the 6.5 CM.

thallub

My favorite centerfire round is the .223. Last year i fired about 3,000 hand loaded rounds of .223 through three bolt action rifles. The heaviest bullet i load is 55 grains. Targets are at 125 and 250 yards.

The OP said:

I favor .223 at 100 yds, but I'm considering adding to it to fend off boredom.

When he said "adding to it" I assume he means the caliber and not the range, as the latter generally involved deeds and mortgages and bulldozers. However, while I think the .222 would get him there, perhaps it is just too similar to the .223 he already has? Another favorite tack driver from the past is the .257 Roberts. But if he wants to shoot from the bench and avoid excessive recoil, something like a 6 mm BR or the 6 mm Norma BR might get his interest.

Bart B.

However, while I think the .222 would get him there, perhaps it is just too similar to the .223 he already has? Another favorite tack driver from the past is the .257 Roberts. But if he wants to shoot from the bench and avoid excessive recoil, something like a 6 mm BR or the 6 mm Norma BR might get his interest.
The 222 Remington was a favorite benchrest cartridge in the 1950's replacing the 219 Donaldson Wasp first introduced in the 1930's.

AgedWarrior

6.5 Creed and .308 are calibers that I enjoy shooting at a distance. I love my .308, but for distance shooting the Creed is a bit better.
However, another cartridge worthy of consideration might be 6.5 Grendel. The Howa mini action with heavy barrel is loads of fun and the CZ 527 Varmint MTR would also be a great choice. The Howa is much more economical, but needs improved bottom metal instead of the polymer; still way under the cost. The CZ 527 is a pretty nice rifle, but you want to go with the heavy barrel if you are going to target shoot with it, the light barrels tend to string vertically when they get hot. The Grendel recoil is nice and light, fun to shoot for extended outings. Accuracy in my Howa and CZ is sub moa with my loads
If the Creed is desired, I would look to Savage. I own a Savage 10 FCP in 6.5 Creed and it makes five shot groups at 100 that are a single jagged hole. I have shot a couple other 6.5 creed Savage rifles and they all were excellent; and Savage prices are not bad. If you go Savage get a rifle with accu-stock (aluminum bedded). Ruger’s are good rifles, but the American stocks are like most entry level plastic...horrible.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Scorch

With 40 shots?
I said 10 shots
What ammo?
RWS Target, Eley, SK are the ones I typically use to test the rifles.
From what position?
Bench. I didn't say my shooting was great any more, I said the guns shoot 3/8"-1/2" 10-shot groups. If they don't, I rework them until they do.
I ask because the USA NRA 100 yard prone with scope open 400-40X + records shot before 1980 still stand with a 1 inch X ring. Most at 50 yards, too, with a .391" X ring.
Yes, I am aware of the statistics.
I suspect you're using the smallest few-shot groups as the accuracy claim. That's been popular for decades.
Now, Bart, I may stretch the truth a little occasionally, but you can't just call a man a liar without some sort of evidence. And just so you'll lighten up a bit, here are 2 100 yds targets from builds I have done. 10 shots on each target at 100 yds.

UY4HiYZ.jpg

Bart B.

I said 10 shots

RWS Target, Eley, SK are the ones I typically use to test the rifles.

Bench. I didn't say my shooting was great any more, I said the guns shoot 3/8"-1/2" 10-shot groups. If they don't, I rework them until they do.

Yes, I am aware of the statistics.

Now, Bart, I may stretch the truth a little occasionally, but you can't just call a man a liar without some sort of evidence. And just so you'll lighten up a bit, here are 2 100 yds targets from builds I have done.
What's their extreme spreads? Both gun's group's look over half an inch.

I'm waiting for 40 shots or 4 ten shot groups from one barrel about half an inch maximum extreme spread. That's the norm for best ammo before 1980.

Unless your claim is based on the smallest group shot and others are bigger.

There ain't a universal basis for accuracy claims based on identical objectives, conditions and standards.

Last edited:

Scorch

What's their extreme spreads? Both gun's group's look over half an inch
The group on the left is an acceptable group. It measures .350" outside to outside. The other measures close to 7/8" with the flyers, but 8 are inside of 1/2". The second rifle was massaged and reshot, I don't have the other target for that one, the customer does.
I'm waiting for 40 shots or 4 ten shot groups from one barrel about half an inch maximum extreme spread.
I'll have to try that someday. I already told you I shoot 10 shot groups. If the group is acceptable, the gun goes out the door. I don't think I've ever shot 40 shots from a customer's rifle. I build rifles for a living, not shoot groups.
Scorch, These are the rules
Thanks, old roper. I laready have several copies of the rule books.