Your favorite target caliber?

jhansman

I favor .223 at 100 yds, but I'm considering adding to it to fend off boredom. This would be a bolt gun; not looking for a sore shoulder and would like to keep it under $750 if that is realistic these days (last rifle I bought was a 10/22 a few years back). I'd want to reload, but that's a different thread. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

jmr40

I shoot more rounds through an accurate 22 LR than all others combined. I have 3-4 pretty accurate rifles. I have a decent scope with adjustible dials on my Tikka T1 and shoot it out to 250 yards. It took a little trial and error to figure out where to set the dials for various ranges, but once figured out it is pretty decent.

I've shot 223 out to 600 yards but 200-400 is more common. I don't handload for it though because ammo is cheap, even the good stuff.

If you want something bigger with the capability to really reach out there 6.5 Creedmoor is the easiest and most logical choice. Accurate rifles are everywhere as is good factory ammo at reasonable prices. Recoil is between 243 and 308, but closer to 243. The 6.5 gives you the potential to shoot up to a mile if you're good enough.

308 would be my 2nd choice. It can be really accurate and for someone who already has one I can see the reluctance to move to 6.5 CM. But for someone just starting I can't think of a single reason to choose 308 over 6.5 CM. While just as good as 6.5 at ranges up to 600ish yards the 308 starts running out of gas before 1000 yards. And with significantly more recoil

I like the Ruger Predators for around $400. Other good options in your price range are Tikka, and Bergara. Although just barely.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/93389/ruger+american+predator+65+crd+mtblk

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...bolt+65+crd+243+3+1+synthetic+black+stock+blu

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/58001/bergara+b-14+ridge+65+crd

Dufus

22 Hornet

My 100 yd pet is a Browning Hunter Micro A-bolt left hand that I got about 2005. It also works well as a pest/varmint buster.

It will punch a 10 shot group of no more than 3/4". I have had one 1/2" 10 shot group a while back using the 30 gr. Varmint Grenade made by Barnes.

The longest shot that I have made so far was a cottontail at 183 yds stepped off.

Scorch

I own about 10 really accurate 22LR rifles in single shot, bolt, and semi-auto. Which one I choose depends on how I feel at the time. I can shoot all day without hurting my bank account or making a flinch any worse. And it's really fun to troll the Anschutz guys with my accurized 10/22s. If there is anything more fun than a 22LR and a brick of ammo, it's probably immoral or illegal.:)

mikejonestkd

IMO there is no better training rifle for the money than a good 22LR. Bolt, single shot, semi or lever, whatever floats you boat.
Even an mid to upper tier .22 rifle is still cheaper than most centerfires, and you can shoot a brick of ammo for pennies a shot.

jhansman

The 6.5 gives you the potential to shoot up to a mile if you're good enough.
Had to laugh when I read that.No, I am definitely not good enough. Likely, I couldn't see a target a mile away I could point a rifle at, let alone hit one. The 6.5 Creedmoor might fit the bill. As for 22LR, my 10/22 Sporter coupled with my Buckmark URX keep my rimfire needs fed. Should have been more explicit: centerfire, bolt, affordable, fun to shoot. My Howa fits all these, but as I said, some variety is needed now. This will likely be my last firearm.

TXAZ

I have a 6.5 and it’s a very solid round out to 1000+.
But if it’s your last rifle,
This is waaaaay more fun:

pLAHOI4.jpg

94kIzWR.gif

s8aR1X8.gif

Last edited:

ammo.crafter

Range: 100 yards Hard to beat .222 Remington. Mild recoil, deadly accurate, easy to reload.
Something a bit smaller but faster: .204 Ruger same as above.
Something a bit bigger: 7x30 Waters: accurate to ½ MOA all day

MarkCO

Based on your OP and follow up statements, I steer you towards a .308 based cartridge in the Ruger American Predator in .243Win or 6.5CM. Both are accurate, mild cartridges that have the ballistics to take you out as far as it sounds like you would want to go. A good mid-range optic and you will have a lot of fun.

pete2

.22LR or .45 ACP........ That's what nearly everyone shoots in Bullseye, some 9MM now but I don't have a target 9MM gun.

Rockrivr1

Another vote for a 6.5CM. It's a soft shooter and with the right glass you can really work on your basic to extend rounds out to 1000+ yards with no problem. Not sure what your budget looks like but you can get a Ruger American or a Savage Axis for short money in 6.5CM without breaking the bank. Remember though you'll want to save up for some good glass. Glass is one of those things in where you get what you pay for really rings true.

If 100 yards is your limit, then I think Ammo.crafter has hit the nail on the head. The Triple Deuce (.222 Rem) was the darling of benchrest competition for a long time before the specialized wildcats for that discipline came along. My Remington 600 in that chambering will drill cloverleaves with 50-grain bullets all day long over 18.5 to 19.5 grains of 4198. For something that has commonly available components, including brass, it is hard to beat, given your requirements, and not too expensive to shoot, as centerfire rifles go. Just be aware the 14" twist is not suitable for most bullet designs weighing over 50 grains. When I was shooting mine a lot, I found it did not do as well with the Sierra 52-grain boattail MatchKings as it did with flat base 50-grain Hornady soft points, despite their cannelures. If I were developing the loads today, I would look at the Sierra 40-grain Varminter and Blitzkings, and also at the Hornady 40-grain V-max. And, indeed, I picked up a box of 100 pieces of bulk brass not too long ago, and expect to be doing exactly that.

Scorch

Do those Rugers keep 40 shots inside 1/4th inch at 50 yards?
Well, Bart, at 100 yds they shoot 3/8" - 1/2". I use Lilja barrels on when I build them. I teased one Annie shooter into spotting me 10 points (one point for each spot on the target) and he agreed. I beat him by 2 points, so he was actually shooting a little better than I was. But mad? He was fuming when we got done. And sure enough, pretty soon most of the club shooters heard about it so now I have to shoot against the centerfire guys, and 3/8" at 100 isn't good enough to beat some of those guys.

ndking1126

for someone just starting I can't think of a single reason to choose 308 over 6.5 CM.

There are a lot of cartridges that would be good options for your situation, but this pretty much sums it up. 6.5CM would be my recommendation also. I would think 270 win would be the next recommendation since it has wide availability, great ballistics, and very little extra recoil over the 6.5G.

I've never personally shot one, but the Ruger American or American Predator get almost universal praise. I dont think you could do much better if trying to keep costs under control.

Last edited: