Your favorite, or most memorable shot?

samsmix

A shot I might not have tried if I'd had time to consider it:

A whitetail doe got up under foot and ran straight away, offering no shot for my Hawken replica and it's .50 round ball. She ran down the trail with me riding her with the sights. She jumped a downed tree at about 40 yards and as she flattened out at the peak of her jump still moving straight away from me), I held below her and touched it off.

The ball caught her in the front part of the belly, up and forward across the top of the heart, one lung, and came to rest in the front tip of the backstrap where it hides under the shoulder. The angle she was coming down at made it look like I was laying on the ground under her when I shot...lol

Lucky? Good? Maybe both, but it worked.

mnhunter3030

most memorable shot ive ever made was a 100 yard shot, off hand at a small button buck with my 40 year old marlin 3030 and a 160 grn hornady leverevolution. bullet hit the scapula and the deer went flop. i was sitting next to my dad who turned and looked at me with a blank expression and said "well:eek:" i guess it took him by suprise lol

bamaranger

another

One Spring, after gobbler season, my neighbor was complaining about crows working over his newly planted corn. I dusted off a Ruger 77V in 22-250, checked the zero on the old Weaver K-12, and went crow sniping. The rifle has always been very accurate with Sierra 52 gr MK's and it did not disappoint this time either.

Settled in alongside an old hay wagon, things configured in such a way that I had support for the forend and the butt, very stable. Shortly a crow settled in on a bare limb at the other end of the field. I estimated the range at 300, held just over it, and pressed one off. I lost the crow in the scope, but as I settled back in, the crow had changed limbs. Believing a bad squeeze, I used same hold and shot again, and this time the critter dropped like a rock.

The temps raised steadily, as did the bugs, and in an hour I'd had enough. Curious as to what effect the MK slug would have on a crow at that distance, I sauntered over to see the results. There beneath that bare limb laid TWO very dead crows nearly side by side!

A few days later I lasered that tree at 285 yds from the wagon.

Drawdown

Also some of my best and worst shooting came on the same morning and what started out to be a terrible hunt ended in my best!

First what I consider to be my best shot came after missing a gimme shot. Walked over a little rise and saw a squirrel on the ground, probably 15-18yds. I raised my CZ452 Ultralux with it's open sights, and were I had been walking I had drug the end of the barrel thru some spider webs and under the front sight hood were several strands of webs and to boot I was standing in bright sun so the webs looked like electric strings. I sighted best I could and shot, but should've never tried. It missed and the squirrel run quickly to a tree, crossed over several other trees and got in a big beech, no doubt a den tree. When he did he got on the side of the main trunk and just stopped hanging upside down looking at me. I had already blowed out the webs and thought what a target. Standing off-hand I drilled him dead perfect center of the head. Checked it with a range finder, 43 yds.

My most memorbable shot was actually my most memorable day afield hunting or anything. Perfect late sept morning, cool and foggy and in the woods at first light. First stop to wait under a big beech I knowed was a den tree. Bad mistake I've made in the past cause hunting with a 22 n open sights, low light is my worst enemy to good shooting, but lack of patience makes it worse! Any ways to keep it short I took what would have been 3 gimme shots if I'd had good light at 2 squirrels and hit nothing. I wasn't disappointed I was really mad at myself cause I know very well better. I actually started to go home cause the shooting is the #1 reason for the hunting and I take it seriously. I sat down and just wasted some time, collected my thoughts and started back hunting. By now I have good light, and before I know it I have 4 squirrels by 4 shots all off-hand. Shortly I see 2 squirrels on the ground but they saw me first and both run up a big oak, one of them stopping about 20 ft up and I get him with one shot, 5 for 5 now. I lost sight of the other one and am not sure where he went. I stand and wait quite a while but finally start to walk toward the tree. When I did he broke and ran out a limb toward the main trunk, so I take a running shot but he's up and down and moving fast. Missed and worked the bolt and he makes it to the main trunk and is coming down as fast as those legs wil carry him but perfect broadside were I can see him. I actually smiled and thought he's mine, I knew it! I layed the tip of the front sight on his head and followed him down a ways and squeezed. It was dead perfect thru the lungs and he fell at the crack of the rifle, aprox 25 yds away. 7 shots and a limit of 6 squirrels, and last shot running. Finest day I ever spent in the woods afterall!

Roadkill2228

Well I don't know for sure...most entertaining was probably shooting beets on aat 330 yards with my "cheap savage" after my friend couldn't hit them with his "better" Remington ;). I'm a savage fan for life by the way. Anyway the beets exploded and sprayed red all over the cardboard, it looked a bit morbid. I've hit a milk jug at 440 with that same gun (a 111 package gun in .270). With same gun have also hit a running whitetail doe at around 250 yards from standing freehand shooting position. Wouldn't have taken the shot except I had already hit her once and wanted to finish her NOW before she crossed the line over my dads field into the next one, which was owned by a most cantankerous individual. It worked.

Tawaliga

300 yard shot with a .30-30 (with scope), 150 grain softpoint

Deer reacted to impact then went into the woodline. My best friend and I tracked it, emptied our shotguns (which we had retrieved after going back to camp to regroup) of buckshot when we jumped it in some thick, head high pines, then finally put it down with a .45 1911 his grandad was issued during WWII. Toughest deer I ever saw, and the last time I took a shot that far. Not sure if I ever used that .30-30 again since I got a .243 the next year, though I still clean it once a year.

MurBob

Does it have to be an animal ??? I just started hunting with a shotgun (rem870) a couple of years ago because I've gotten too old and too fat to climb my butt up a tree stand anymore. I don't really have any impressive shots yet as most times its under 100 yards deer hunting here in Michigan.

In my earlier years, a couple friends and I went up north camping at a buddies farm.. We put a bunch of targets up at various distances.

On my very first shot of the day, I hit a milk jug of water at 600 yards with my AR-10 (.308cal)..
Like a hole-in-one golfing, it was just one of those things.

Panfisher

I have a few. When I was a cock teenager dad and I had been shooting clays with shotguns behind the house (lots of room and trees as backstop) and I was smoking them all. Dad says something like if you are so damn good break some with a rifle. I shrill have the little Ithaca M49 single shot lever that fit like a glove, dad mad a gentle throw and I broke 4 out of 5. Doubt I could do it today 5hough. Second one was a few years ago deer hunting with a buddy. Sitting on the ground at the edge of a little ravine, 4 deer come running up on my right side (I am right handed) only way I could get a shot was to lay back at about a 3/4 recline angle and shoot left handed. Only about 40 to 75 yards bUT shot hit pretty much where I aimed and a fat little button buck went home with me.

CarJunkieLS1

My favorite most memorable shot on game was this past Friday. Shot was 117yds in the thickest woods I have deer hunted in my limited experience (3 years). I hit a good sized doe right at the base of the neck and clipped the point of the shoulder. Deer fell like a bag of hammers and didn't go another step, it was AWESOME! The window that I had to shoot through to hit it was maybe the size of a basketball hoop.

The part that made it so memorable was that I was hunting with 2 friends who are very experienced hunters. I got put in a stand that several deer had been killed from so they had a good idea that I would see one. On the drive to the hunting spot I was told "don't let it run, drop it in its tracks." Well I did and when we all got together to get my deer they saw where she was laying and asked did she run. I said "nope" and they said that was a hell of a shot, I doubt we could've made that shot. The fact I impressed two experienced hunters with my "shooting skill"...more like luck just made my whole season.