• Straight-Pull

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Semi-Auto

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Muzzle Loader

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Hawg

Lever (even tho I only have three of them) followed by muzzleloaders(traditional) then bolt. Don't care for semi rifles much but do have a couple of .22's.

Deet

Bolt for me. The rest are ok. I guess I'm stuck in the 70's, when I hear rifle I think of a bolt action.

amprecon

You know I initially had the falling block listed along with breech loaders, but decided to keep it as simple as I could. I actually only listed the muzzle loader because I was sure there'd be a die-hard ML fan out there that'd scream bloody murder for not listing his fav.
But I do apologize for not including the beloved falling block.

I have tried ML'g and feel that it definitely is a niche weapon as is bow and arrow or crossbows.

6thMichCav

Simplicity

I voted for the bolt action. I've found many of the rifle pundits have already quoted my opinion endlessly before I made it up, but I'll repeat them here just for giggles.

First, a bolt allows easy extraction of fired brass if a handload somehow gets past the safety point for a particular gun, which could be WELL BELOW a manual's published maximum. It also allows a lot of handloading to be done with safety and a lack of brass stretching. I know that this is a myth with some actions, but it is certainly true with some variations.

Second, I've never been able to jam a bolt if I operated the action properly. I have jammed autos, pumps and levers that were clean and in good condition, even when I operated them exactly as prescribed. Sure, I can jam a bolt if I load it wrong, "short stroke" it, or otherwise operate it wrong, but none of mine have failed me when I do my part. I have had all versions of other actions fail during normal operation.

Third, I like the accuracy that most of my bolts have shown to be a consistent trait. The only other action that rifled a bolt in my minimal experience was the Remington 760/7600, so hat's off to the Remington slide action. I'm not saying your non-bolt is not accurate; I'm saying mine weren't.

Fourth, I like how the bolt can usually be configured with good balance (which, unfortunately, is the Remington 760/7600's downfall). A good single/double, lever, or auto can usually meet this as well.

Last, if not least, as a dedicated reloader, I don't like to chase brass at the range or in the field that an autoloader kicks out, and a brasscatcher is impractical in the field.

If I could find a slide action that offered easy extraction under all conditions, better balance, good reliability and excellent accuracy at a reasonable price, I would be all over it. I haven't found it yet.

P.S.: I am looking at a Swiss K-31 which could be the answer to some of the questions above; we'll see.