Your experience with the CX4 Storm

HorseSoldier

I had one for a while. Very reliable (though I didn't really treat it rough) and plinking-accurate at usual at-the-range kind of ranges. Very good "gateway drug" kind of gun for new shooters or shooters who are intimidated by rifle recoil for whatever reason.

I'd still have it, but sold it on consignment to fund a new AK.

bobn

there is no other rifle/carbine that points, swings, or gets on target as easily as a storm, period. to mess with the stock would be stupid.
.... we are no longer a rural nation but at best a suburban one. even with my ten acres of land a full size rifle is not welcome. noise and range of full size rifles are just to overwelming. i can shoot pistol cartridge carbines any time. quite frankly wether a nine or a traditional 32 20/45 colt etc the result is same. dead vermin. or trashed target. fwiw bobn

Unregistered

Thanks captain obvious.....and your point is???????????

I am not sure what you don't understand.

You seemed to be saying that the stock was not collapsible because the gun was introduced during the AWB, and was made in a foreign country and therefore not importable.

My point, which you apparently could not grasp, was the AWB is now over. They could redesign the stock to make it collapsible, and manufacture it in the USA facilities.

I am sorry if this somehow confused you. Public schools aren't what they used to be I guess.

KROIL

Stubbicat - SIGNIFICANT RECOIL off a .40 storm ?? As I do not know your gender I will stop now.

moonshot

I have developed a real interest in the 9mm Storm. Handled one today and man was it comfortable. Light weight, easy to hold and maneuver, fast on target and apparently very customizable.

Sadly, I could not shoot it.

The niche I see this carbine filling will likely offend many of you. I am thinking of selling my AR and all associated supplied and replacing it with the Storm in 9mm.

Why?

Range ammo for the AR is up around $0.45 to $0.60 per round (I won't shoot crap ammo) for PMC, American Eagle, and Black Hills. WWB 100 round value packs of 9mm are $0.18 per round at Wally World.

With the Storm, I won't have half the AR community telling me my Bushmaster is no good for anything except punching holes in paper. I won't feel the need to buy a spare BCG, worry about F-marked FSB's, barrel twist, and staked castle nuts.

Even in a SHTF situation, I have a hard time seeing a need to reach out past 100 yards.

Yes, a 9mm is no .223, and I am quite accurate with my AR. However, if I can't afford to practice with my AR, my skill will soon disappear, and only hits count.

I don't know what I am going to do. I hate to sell my AR - I know after November's election I won't be able to buy another one, but it seems like a waste to have something I can't aford to shoot when I could have two Storms and enough ammo for, well, a stormy day.

EHCRain10

Ive got a storm in 9mm and it is my go to gun if things go bump in the night, its much more accurate than i can hold it and its a blast to shoot, cheap ammo helps alot too

UniversalFrost

fun to shoot. buds has them at super prices, but I am out of gun money and TDY.

The 9mm is the version I would get, but .40 is fun too.

great home defense gun!

berated

Bart Noir:
"Last time I was charged by enraged niches I had the wrong weapon. Couldn't hit the darn things at 25 meters as I only had the rifle for 500-meter niches. It came down to bowie knives and knees in the groin, and I'm here to tell you, niches got small groins."

I nominate this as POTY! Bart, I literally spit out my drink when I read your post. Good stuff!

B

theberettaman

Unregistered said:
I am not sure what you don't understand.

You seemed to be saying that the stock was not collapsible because the gun was introduced during the AWB, and was made in a foreign country and therefore not importable.

My point, which you apparently could not grasp, was the AWB is now over. They could redesign the stock to make it collapsible, and manufacture it in the USA facilities.

I am sorry if this somehow confused you. Public schools aren't what they used to be I guess.

So let's see,a company needs to spend millions of dollars to redesign and set up production in another country just to sell rifles that haven't been selling in the first place.Maybe a firearms company will hire you.

stubbicatt

Per Kroil: Stubbicat - SIGNIFICANT RECOIL off a .40 storm ?? As I do not know your gender I will stop now.

For a 40 caliber it has significant recoil. ;) Perhaps my gender isn't as important as my choice of words? Seems like it shouldn't back up as much as it did.

Is it a Mosin Nagant? No.

But that one carbine that folds in half, I don't remember the manufacturer, didn't seem to be as enthusiastic.

Unregistered

So let's see,a company needs to spend millions of dollars to redesign and set up production in another country just to sell rifles that haven't been selling in the first place.Maybe a firearms company will hire you.

I am curious why you seem to have such an attitude about this. We are simply discussing modifications that could be made to an already compact carbine that would make it even more compact and user friendly. I think collapsible stocks are generally a selling feature for guns since the expiration of the AWB. If you don't believe me, then why do most new AR's get sold with collapsible stocks.

Anyway, we were having a civil discussion, then you come along with your attitude problem and seem to be trying to pick a fight. Well to be honest, I don't care enough about the Storm to fight you over it. I think you have bad manners, and don't see any reason why there was a need to become snide, condescending, or hateful about it.

Sometimes redesigning a product that isn't selling will cause it to sell. This would be something called "innovation". For example, 1911's when originally produced had poor sights, spotty reliability, and a tendency to pinch people when they cycled. Then someone redesigned them a little to have better sights, improved reliability, large beaver tails to prevent pinching, and they sold a lot better. Beretta would not have to redesign the whole firearm, just the stock. I am not even sure Beretta makes the plastic stocks for it as is, so this may be an issue of simply finding another supplier, or simply retooling the equipment for the stock. It doesn't cost nearly as much to redesign a plastic mold as it does to retool for machining metal. I am not sure you have a good grasp of how little would be needed to redesign a plastic stock.

Do you own a Storm? If so maybe you have taken my comments about this too personally. Its not like a called your wife ugly. Its just a gun, and not a very popular one. I don't see how losing it completely would cause much impact on Beretta's bottom line, so why not try to redesign it into something people would actually buy?

bobn

stubbicat, storm is a blowback design. generally speaking it means a large heavy hunk of metal and strong springs to cycle the action. the 40s and the 45s do feel more obnoxius then the 9s. bobn

dboldt

beretta-cx4-px4-storm-03.jpg

Would there be any owners of this puppy here on this forum?

Yes. I'm the owner of the Cx4 and Px4 in that photograph which is being hotlinked off my webserver.
I found it in my httpd access logs and thought you would at least like to see the entire photoset.

They were originally posted in the Cx4 Storm Picture Thread on the PAFOA Forum in 2006.

Enjoy..

DPris

Member Emeritus
The Storm is still subject to 922r restrictions that prohibit a pistolgrip on an import. It comes in under the radar by the simple inclusion of the arch running from the grip to the stock, according to Beretta.
As far as US manufacture goes, I don't think they sell well enough to justify tooling up in this country.

And, as far as a niche goes, the Storm makes a near ideal defensive car gun that can be carried in a relatively small space and quickly maneuvered out of the car to engage inside 50 yards and beyond practical handgun range, if needed.
Denis