Your 2cents on my next budget new 9mm 1911

Sterling

Im hearing that voice again.....oh dont act like its just me the old "now lets get this one" lol. Anyhow Im kicking the idea around of a 9mm 1911 to add to my micro collection. First the basics....Budget :600-650$ Features : everything, no but I would like a stainless model I prefer tactical single stack with Novak type sights skeleton this and that dont laugh it could be done on a foreighn made unit I got my PT1911 with all features mentioned and forged slide, frame and barrel for 549$. I figure a 9 may cost a little more. So far Ive looked at and like in this order.... The PT1911, RIA , Metro American Classic 2, Regent, Girsan. From these mentioned I beileve the PT and The Metro offer forged frame and slides and advertise it. Customer service would have to go to RIA imo as I have a A1 and have used their cs. GI is not a deal breaker considering my budget only I would later change to hiviz sights. My current three 1911s are all parkerized or blue so Stainless is a sticking point for me. Ideas, comments ? Lets here it.

BigBL87

Given the budget and what you want, I'd favor the RIA followed by the Taurus. I'm trying to decide right now between picking up a S&W Shield (need a sub compact option for concealed carry) or an RIA 1911 (because I want one and don't own a 1911 yet).

Rock Island all the way.

Having repaired Taurus 1911s and discovered that standard 1911 parts don't fit Taurus (they specifically made some parts so that only their parts will fit), along with their crappy quality control and worse customer support ("No, we can't sell you a $5 part, but you can ship the entire pistol to us and we'll install a new part for you -- at your expense.'", nobody should ever buy a Taurus 1911.

CajunBass

I've got a Rock Island that I got used for less than $400.00. Shoots like champ. It's pretty much GI best I can tell, but the basic gun would be the same.

It might be my favorite gun, which is a lot to say from an old revolver guy like me.

Eazyeach

Does RIA make a stainless pistol?

I hate to be "that guy" ,but if you saved up another $100 you could get into Colt/springfield range. I got my Colt govt stainless 9mm for $750 from buds. Novak style sights and she runs flawlessly.

And the springer range officer is available in stainless for about the same price. I don't own one of those but the springfield I do own is top notch.

TfflHndn

If you've looked at Regent and seen something you like, I'd recommend giving it serious consideration. I have a Regent .45 and it shoots very well. I'd like to do a trigger job on it, but there's not much else I'd complain about and for the price it's a keeper.

Radny97

My range has an RIA 9mm in stainless with beautiful light wood grips under their rental counter. I rented and shot it a couple times along with a Kimber they have. RIA is the better gun IMHO. I really liked it so I rented it again a few weeks ago. Now it's on my wish list.

tirod

MICRO 9mm?

SIG P938 AG or SAS.

If not, disregard. But it is the smallest of the 9mm's that handle like a 1911.

gyvel

If you've looked at Regent and seen something you like, I'd recommend giving it serious consideration. I have a Regent .45 and it shoots very well. I'd like to do a trigger job on it, but there's not much else I'd complain about and for the price it's a keeper.

It's hit or miss with Regent. I had an R100 that was an absolute nightmare of poorly hand fitted, out of spec parts that caused all sorts of deviltry. Besides the hand filed internals, you could grab the front of the slide, lift it and there was almost a 3/16 to 1/4" gap between the frame and slide. It was sloppier than the worst WWII GI gun I've ever seen.

I ended up replacing all the internals with GI parts before I dumped it, with the exception of the trigger which was not replaceable due to the opening not being properly machined. Must have been a Friday gun.

Buy a Rock Island. The Armscor facility on Luzon is state-of-the-art.

Last edited: