You own a basic AR-15 carbine... so what would you build for your 2nd AR?

highpower3006

The thing is he doesn't have to put together a complete rifle. All he needs if to assemble a couple of different uppers and he can have any rifle he wants by pulling out two pins and installing a different upper. You could build two uppers for about the cost of a Colt.

For many years I had only one AR, a Colt HBAR Sporter. Then the carbine bug hit me and I put together a M4. I quickly began using the M4 the most because it was so light and handy. The HBAR is a tackdriver though and if I was seriously shooting at longer ranges, I would use that.

If he is bound and determined to have only two AR's, I would say for him to build something with a 20" barrel to compliment the carbine he already has.

For me, it is hard to have only two as I like to put together different rifles for different purposes, or alternately as the mood strikes me. Right now I have been leaning towards the shortest rifle that still gives decent ballistics and have built a AR with a 10'5" barrel with a suppressor as a home defense weapon and a truck gun. So far it is my favorite AR because it is short, handy and quiet.

rickyrick

For me, it is hard to have only two as I like to put together different rifles for different purposes, or alternately as the mood strikes me.

I think what happens to most of us. We buy an AR, then realize the potential versatility, then go nuts building special purpose rigs.

O4L

I would really like to have a SBR with a suppressor but I refuse to pay the tax for those items. I'm just that stubborn. :)

highpower3006

I would really like to have a SBR with a suppressor but I refuse to pay the tax for those items. I'm just that stubborn.

For many years I felt the same. Now that I have both SBR's and a suppressor, I only wish I had done it sooner. Mine is nothing fancy, I basically threw it together after the stamp showed up and I am probably going to put together another upper with a low gas block and run a red dot. As I age, I find that seeing any kind of distance is just too hard with iron sights.

IMG_5025-XL.jpg

The suppressor is another item I wish I would have picked up sooner. I have it set up so I can easily transfer it to different rifles. Mostly it goes on the AR SBR or the M4.

IMG_4987-XL.jpg

IMG_4986-XL.jpg

COSteve

I realize that many like the idea of a SBR or suppressed rifle but the truth is that most of us don't have a need for them; many of us in fact can't own them in our states (we're fortunate in Colorado, we can). Most of us would probably admit that a lightweight, irons shooting plinking carbine, either middy or carbine length gas system, backed up by a full sized, 20", scoped, AR set up for more precision and/or longer range will cover the shooting we'll most likely actually do.

No, I'm not saying that the SBRs and suppressed ones aren't worth considering, they work well for their specific purposes, but for the average Joe, a short range carbine and longer range/precision AR is what they actually can use. Most of us have our ARs for sport or hunting, not SHTF or Zombies when we get down to the truth of our hobbie; and shooting is a hobby for most of us.

shep854

A few years back, SBRs were legalized here in Alabama. My interest would be a 'real' 14.5" barrel M4gery (as close as I can get to a genuine US mil rifle), and a Kel-Tec PLR with a shoulder stock and suppressor for general PDW use.

Just a-wishin', since I don't have money to burn.:cool:

smax

My first was a standard 16" midlength tactical-ish gun I pieced together to scratch the itch for a pretty standard AR-15.

For #2, I built a (very heavy) 24" bull barrel target rifle with a 15" free float ALG rail. Most of my time shooting rifles is spent on a 100 or 200 yard range, so this gets more use than the first.

I'm currently working on #3, which will be a dedicated .22 AR with a CMMG 20" upper.

INMY01TA

I just added a Larue MBT trigger to one of my ARs. Got it for just $99 black friday. Whatever you build, I recommend one.

mellow_c

Thanks folks!

Looks like a lot of you are recommending a 20" scoped rifle.

Not many going for an 18" and a few going for 24"... What drew you to a 20" over an 18" or 24"?

I'll have to refresh my memory by looking at a chart that showed fps vs barrel length. If i remember correctly, .223 velocity tops out in a 24" barrel.

The guy looking to build this still hasn't commented on what direction he might be leaning. He's not a real big gun guy, so I don't think he has the feverish rush to build it that many of us would in his shoes. (he's been hanging on to this stripped lower for well over a year.)

There are lots of good suggestions being offered though and once he takes a look at this thread, I'm sure the wheels will start turning.

As we all know, we'll make sure that he doesn't skimp on the barrel, BCG, or trigger. And if he goes the route of a scoped rifle, there are lots of great scopes available for not a lot of money, so that shouldn't be a big problem. But I do think building a target style long range rifle will generally end up costing a bit more then a basic or light weight 16" carbine.

Thanks for all the comments

PatientWolf

This is what I built...
image.jpeg

Spikes lower
BCM upper and handguard
Daniel Defense LPK with BCM trigger (I like the nickel boron coating)

Last edited:

marine6680

I like an 18in barrel in an SPR type build.

Here are mine... the second down is an 18in the top is a 20in AR10 type. All others are 16in.

attachment.php

agtman

Well, ... then there's as "basic" as it gets.

It's the summer of 1965 all over again, ... Old School is still cool.

Retro "A-Shau Valley" AR.

Last edited:

O4L

Well, ... then there's as "basic" as it gets.

It's the summer of 1965 all over again, ... Old School is still cool.

Retro "A-Shau Valley" AR.
Very nice!

I've had the urge to build an A2 clone for awhile now. I have a complete lower ready to go but can't seem to scrape up the funds for the upper.

O4L

I like an 18in barrel in an SPR type build.

Here are mine... the second down is an 18in the top is a 20in AR10 type. All others are 16in.

attachment.php
Nice collection.

I've been researching the MK12 Mod 0 lately and noticed that most of them have no rear sight even though they have a flip up front sight on the gas block.

Do you know why that is?

O4L

This was my second build.

4c245d1d2c96f5feeb04b94efb62ab6e.jpg

A PSA SS Freedom 16" midlength upper and a Bushmaster lower with LaRue buttstock and grip with Magpul handgaurd in ODG.

RockDTMC

I started with a fairly high end 16" carbine, but wanted more options. My first build was a 20" rifle length. Next was an 18" mid length and now I'm building an AR-10.

This is my 20" build and it's the best shooting and most accurate AR I've ever fired.

20161204_170054.jpg

This is my 18" build. I've since put BUIS and optics on it, but I don't have a more recent picture.

20161227_182435.jpg

shep854

Rickyrick, did that upper come with the FA blanked off, or did you do it?
Also, that pistol grip is a nice highlight! :) Is it wrapped in leather?

rickyrick

Yes, it's a rainier upper, the price was great, and that type of rifle really doesn't need an FA anyway.

The grip is leather covered,